taparsons
taparsons New Reader
12/8/15 5:42 p.m.

I'm looking at running a square set up on my 1998 M3. So best tire size at 235 40 17? Looking to stay as low as possible under 120$

drdisque
drdisque Reader
12/8/15 5:46 p.m.

This is a pretty good tire for under $100 each, note they're not SCCA Street/ST legal as they're 140TW. Don't know if that matters to you. - https://www.onlinetires.com/products/vehicle/tires/federal/235%252F40-17+federal+595+rs-r+racing+90w+bsw.html

Can't find anything else worth its salt in that price range.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
12/8/15 5:51 p.m.

Yeah, that price range is "mediocre all season" range. If you slip down to a 225/45 you can get the close out Rival for $113 each.

taparsons
taparsons New Reader
12/8/15 8:46 p.m.

Im moving and changing jobs at the moment.....and I have 1 bald rear tire and the all side walls have side wall cracks from dry rot. Do 245s fit all the way around?

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Reader
12/8/15 9:00 p.m.

Question: Do you EVER autocross or track this car? It matters.

MINIzguy
MINIzguy Reader
12/8/15 9:19 p.m.

GT Radial Champiro UHP1

taparsons
taparsons New Reader
12/9/15 4:43 a.m.

In reply to WildScotsRacing:

It is my goal.

bigev007
bigev007 Reader
12/9/15 4:59 a.m.

In reply to taparsons:

245's fit all the way around depending on your offset. Mine rub in back with a full tank of gas, or 2 passengers (that caused an awkward conversation with SWMBO), or lots of cargo. My rear wheels are 17x8 +38

Klayfish
Klayfish UltraDork
12/9/15 6:09 a.m.

Not sure if they come in that size, but the Sumitomo HTR Z series is a great budget tire for autox. For track duty, they get a bit hot and greasy, but you'll never have that issue in autox. Great value.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
12/9/15 6:10 a.m.

Any rain or snow needs? That also makes a difference, a big difference.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
12/9/15 6:33 a.m.
MINIzguy wrote: GT Radial Champiro UHP1

Not sure if this reply matters but my Champiros blistered at the track. I did like them. They're certainly a little off from the fast tires but they're pretty forgiving.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/9/15 6:57 a.m.

If you're moving and changing jobs (and we're heading into winter) you'll likely only see autocross duty with the next set of rubber, plus if doing track duty a second set of wheels for track duty is an excellent idea. I'd focus on some of the autocross appropriate rubber suggested that struggles with the heat generated from 20 minute lapping sessions and worry about track rubber after you have a second set of wheels and are settled in after the life changes

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Reader
12/9/15 7:28 a.m.
Klayfish wrote: Not sure if they come in that size, but the Sumitomo HTR Z series is a great budget tire for autox. For track duty, they get a bit hot and greasy, but you'll never have that issue in autox. Great value.

I agree with the above, in terms of a decent budget summer tire. Now, IF you can properly fit a 245/40 on the wheels you have in mind, there literally 10 times more types of tire available. In that vein, keep in mind a few things: 1) "Extreme Performance" (200 treadwear and lower, Rival, Star Spec, etc.) category summer tires don't actually have "extreme" traction at street driving tire temperatures, they need to get above about 150 before they really start gripping. As a group they have less than stellar rain performance. And, they only last maybe 10,000 miles on the street with NO autocross runs or track days on them. Also, if you will be just starting to learn performance driving, the "Extreme" catogory tires, once they get hot enough to start gripping, actually have so much grip that it will hide driving mistakes while you are learning (meaning you WILL develop some bad habbits that will keep you from becoming as fast a driver as you could be. Ask any peformance driving instructor). The ideal performance category for your current needs is really the "Ultra High Performance" summer tire (300ish treadwear class). They actually out-grip the Extreme tires at street driving temps, as a class are the very best in the rain, cost way less, and last twice as long. Their grip at the extreme limits of cornering is not as high as the "Extreme" class (hence that name), but that is GOOD thing for someone who is just beginning to learn. The current king of that hill at Tire Rack is the BF Goodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2, and they go for around $120 in the 245/40 size. It is the (non-Winter) tire I run on our daily drivers and they behave very nicely on the big tracks, too as long you don't exceed 210 tread temperature.

RedGT
RedGT Reader
12/9/15 7:42 a.m.

Good post, but here, I think you could use two of these ° °

Continental ExtremeContact DW is another one in the category you are speaking of. $126 apiece at TR. Don't try to drive them in snow, but they are PHENOMENAL in the wet and very good in the dry as well. I was lazy about swapping to winter tires this year and they performed just fine as low as 25 degrees. We've got at least 10,000 miles on the set on my wife's car right now and they should do another 10,000 no problem. (no autocross or track time on this particular set)

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Reader
12/9/15 8:10 a.m.

Ehh, I didn't mention the Dee Dubs by name because the OP did mention a $120 price point, but yeah.

taparsons
taparsons New Reader
12/9/15 8:50 a.m.

Thanks for all the advice! I guess what I want/need now is a solid street tire and get a dedicated autocross set later on. Snow isnt an issue as I have another car for that.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Reader
12/9/15 9:22 a.m.
taparsons wrote: Thanks for all the advice! I guess what I want/need now is a solid street tire and get a dedicated autocross set later on. Snow isnt an issue as I have another car for that.

Good man! Get some real in-car drive coaching after you have put a couple of local events under your belt, too. Improving your driving skill will make you faster than any tire you buy.

taparsons
taparsons New Reader
12/9/15 8:35 p.m.

Thoughts on the sumi htr z II or Z III?

Opti
Opti HalfDork
12/9/15 8:42 p.m.

Sumitomo HTRZ is a terrible tire, HTRZ II is a terrible tire, HTR Z III is a decent tire, but in the size I ran them in I was able to find something way better for about the same price.

In 245/40/17 I like the re760, the Conti DW, and the Comp 2. I think some people have mentions the direzzas and S drives so maybe they can give you some info as Ive never ran them. I know in their other lines BFGs run wide, something to consider if going 245 and space is limited,

I couldnt find anything in the 235/40/17 with a quick tire rack search. Someone mentioned the Federals. I've had terrible experience with some federal truck tires, but ive heard such good things from the miata guys about the 595 or 595s or r or whatever it is, Ive been wanting to put a set on a cheap project to try them. Last set I priced was stupid cheap, if they were half as good as I had heard they probably be worth it, but Im a cheap ass, I generally dont cheap out on tires, but I wouldnt feel bad on a beater thats a toy.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/9/15 9:22 p.m.
taparsons wrote: Thoughts on the sumi htr z II or Z III?

The Z III is multiple orders of magnitude better than the II. The Direzza DZ102 is also not a terrible option at that price point (and is waaaaay better than the preceding DZ101). I have heard good things about the Federal 595RS-R for the price but they are also extremely hardcore tires with a very low TW rating.

I have run both the HTR Z III and DZ102 on my last two dailies as street summer tires and could not find fault with either, but I will say that the Conti DWs on my E46 were not only great street tires but let me beat the piss out of them at Road America for a few weekends of track days and took it in stride. Truly great tires if you can cough up the price.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
R9x22JCf7JITgojtzmFU2H0i7NlcMML78angQXgHDS5hpJlBkoVOqmBIKHvjLp8H