1 2 3 4
stan
stan GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/26/21 7:12 p.m.

Just finished driving a '94 Mustang GT. It wasn't as much fun as I'd hoped. 

Really liked -and miss- my '87 MR2. 

What are you guys (and gals) using as a daily that fits the topic?

Thanks.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/26/21 7:29 p.m.

I had a '88 MR2 SC.  That thing was great for around town driving.  All the supercharger was at low rpm.  The car squirted through traffic.  However, I am sure I never took it over 80 mph and very rarely at that 

I know you've had Prius Gen1 and I have Prius Gen2.  In general, these cars have no sport skills but I do find them fun to find their limits, even if their limits are low.  

My Q45's were quick, loud and fun but all that fun doesn't really happen until the consequences of a ticket will result in a real wallop of a ticket like 20 mph over or maybe a 6 point violation of reckless op.

Sure, my mostly stock '90 Miata is slow but with its slight improvements to suspension, I rarely have to use the brakes.  Further more, the sensation of speed is greater than the speed.  Rabbit GTI's too for same thing!  

So, for a modern version of this slow/fast car I have heard good things about the Mazda2 w/ manual trans.  Similar, the Ford Fiesta which are more plentiful.  The Fiesta is know for auto trans problems that seem to drive the prices down.  Furthermore, the fact that no one buys manual trans cars driver the price down even further.  They did offer the Fiesta in a 3cyl turbo version too.  Sure, there is the Fiesta ST but those seem to still command a price premium...but I bet they are fun.  

I test drove Bob's 2013 Rio5 SX.  I gotta say...a hint of Rabbit GTI in one of those too!  

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/26/21 7:41 p.m.

Mazda 2

/Thread

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/26/21 7:41 p.m.

I ususally just open CL and FB where both will allow you to filr down to "manual trans only".  I then see what pops up.  

Suzuki SX4

'99 Boxter

'95 Subaru Legacy.  High price but the best thing here is last year for reliable (but slower) 2.2L not the HG popping 2.5L
Edit: Asking $4k on FB for Subaru and sounding desperate to sell...so, cheaper???

Vibe GT 

2003 Miata w/ just 90k miles under $7k

Fiesta SFE, that's the turbo 1.0L.  Ruff example with high price but???

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
5/26/21 7:51 p.m.

Miata that is dead stock.  Including all season tires.

It's the answer for a reason.

eastpark
eastpark HalfDork
5/26/21 7:59 p.m.

Left field response: Chevy Volt. 

dps214
dps214 Dork
5/26/21 8:13 p.m.

Fiesta ST. Feels like the fastest thing in the universe until you look at the speedo and realize that you're only doing 60. ...or that f150 that's also in a hurry blows your doors off away from the stoplight. Can do a surprising amount in the handling department, with normal tires at normal speeds it's surprisingly well balanced and only feels like it's going to roll over when I'm riding the curbs in traffic circles.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/26/21 8:14 p.m.

A Volt and possibly a Leaf could be fun, if for nothing else, for the EV experience 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/26/21 8:22 p.m.

Volvo S60R.

Hey, it was awesome in 2006, but it has like base model Mustang power nowadays.  And we shan't even speak of all the crazy electrics out there.

Fits are fun.  Really fun.  They're also not super fast but they feel fast to drive at normal speeds.  I'm also partial to Chevy Sparks.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/26/21 8:24 p.m.

1985 Honda CRX Si :)

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/26/21 8:24 p.m.

Not slow but reliable and stealthy... V6 manual Accord

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
5/26/21 8:26 p.m.

Mazda2 is great. Stock Miata is great. Fit is great. Volt is not great. 

For the past few years I've loved my Accord but stock it was way below the 2 or a Miata. They are cheap now though. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/26/21 8:35 p.m.

Lately, I've been intrigued by the BMW 128i. Straight n/a 6 cyl and rwd. 

This sample an automatic but if for real daily driving the auto might be attractive. Manual trans versions were made but rarer. 

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
5/26/21 8:45 p.m.

'89 AW11 MR2, I've had it 21 years and plan never to sell it.  I can carry two saxophones, a music stand, and two sacks full of mics and cables without using the passenger seat.  By comparison I can't fit my tenor sax into my '94 Corvette unless I put it in the passenger seat, let alone any of the other stuff.  The Vette is actually too nice a car for where I live (end of a steep 7-mile long gravel road), so plan is to sell it this summer.  The MT2 could really use another 50 horsepower, but on the other hand it gets 40 mpg on trips, so I'm good with that.

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
5/26/21 8:53 p.m.

I consider my car, 14.5 in the quarter, to be slow so I'm going to answer E36 M3ti.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/26/21 8:59 p.m.

BRZ?

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
5/26/21 9:01 p.m.

A Miata, Honda Fit or Mazda 2 would be  on my list.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/26/21 9:04 p.m.

In reply to stan :

Oops. I thought this was Stan Dorcy. That's why I posted cars from Indy. 

parker
parker Reader
5/26/21 9:09 p.m.

I had an 85 MR2 and an 89 MR2 Supercharged.  The 85 has long been my favorite of all the cars I've owned, including a 1972 911.

That crown was passed when I got my 2015 FR-S.  Hands down the most fun car I've had.  Reliably gets 30+mpg too.  All the drama and playfulness without getting into ridiculous speeds.  I can run it to redline through third gear and still be at or just barely over the speed limit.   I plan to put  2017+ diff in it to lower the gearing further for more low speed shenanigans.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
5/26/21 9:26 p.m.

I have had several of the cars in here and the best for simple thrills is the Mazda2 hands down. Beat on it hard and never break the speed limit. Great for smiles around town or back roads. 

I have a Fiesta ST now and an SC Mr2 now. Still want another Mazda 2. 

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
5/26/21 9:38 p.m.

I have a lot of fun in my daily 1st gen Fit sport with Tokicos and Swift springs.  

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
5/26/21 9:56 p.m.
John Welsh said:

Lately, I've been intrigued by the BMW 128i. Straight n/a 6 cyl and rwd. 

While not particularly quick by modern standards, it does not at all accentuate the sensation of speed the way the OP is talking about either. If it feels like you're going fast in one, you are.

parker said:

I had an 85 MR2 and an 89 MR2 Supercharged.  The 85 has long been my favorite of all the cars I've owned, including a 1972 911.

That crown was passed when I got my 2015 FR-S.  Hands down the most fun car I've had.  Reliably gets 30+mpg too.  All the drama and playfulness without getting into ridiculous speeds. 

This, only replace 85 MR2 with 85 AE86, and no '72 911 for me.

Not sure what the jurisdiction is like around where you are, but around here redline in third puts me 20 over or 15 over on the very fastest roads, and 30 over in the more restrictive areas...in theory at least...I wouldn't speed on a public road! Fourth gets you into triple digits. That said, still a massively fun car to drive at legalish speeds! 

c0rbin9
c0rbin9 Reader
5/26/21 10:19 p.m.

Do I have to say it? Yes, that car, you know the one.

Antihero (Forum Supporter)
Antihero (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/26/21 11:58 p.m.

While it's not exactly slow, it's not super fast either and I'm kinda of a broken record about them but...... zx2. It's a hell of a lot of fun to drive.....well.....always really.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xnqRqFIE0BOCzfitCitZMRtm1BRqlfvGAvXQcj7lhsWazaOZbYowEK1mm98AwKu9