dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/13/12 5:05 p.m.

I have the opportunity to get a 89 944S2 for really REALLY cheep with the MO30 option package. It is a low millage immaculate condition car and with the exception of the motor it is mechanically perfect.

The car is owned by a friend of mine who is in the 944 parts business. He was going to keep the car and he drove it for a while but was offered an unreal sum of $$$$ for the motor (low millage) so he pulled it and sold it. The car has now sat for 3-4 months waiting for a V8 but my friend just has to many cars and to many projects and offered it to me (Did I mention REALLY CHEEP) He is in the 944 used parts business drove the car before selling the motor. To him it is just another car as he probably has three or four similar cars in similar condition (although according to him this really is complete less the motor) the others he has that are similar have been picked a bit. Trans mission pulled, seats missing etc.

Anyway the car is in South Carolina and would need to be transported to MA (or as close as possible). Can anyone recommend a shipper? That wont take me for huge $$$$ due to it not being a running and driving car (it does roll)

Is anyone coming back from the Challenge with an empty trailer? I would gladly pay gas for the return trip plus ??????

Anyway

Any help is greatly appreciated. I think this is the car that I have been patiently waiting for, for my next project!!!

spnx
spnx Reader
9/13/12 9:56 p.m.

I found a small independent shipper and that worked really well for me.

He is based in Canada but does work in the US too. If you want me to ask on your behalf, send me a PM.

dean1484
9/13/12 10:03 p.m.

PM sent

jstand
jstand Reader
9/13/12 11:37 p.m.

Does your friend have a way to get it onto the tail end of an open car hauler? Portable winch, pushing, etc?

Are you in a rush, or can you wait a while for I to be picked up?

If so, you may be able find a driver willing to work with you for the right price. Loading an inopp is the tough part, unloading is easy if it on the tail.

My father may be making a run up to MA with a load of cars later this month, but that's not certain yet. It will depend on what there is available for him to make a return load to FL. So I wouldn't count on that, but if it looks like he'll be heading this way I can put in touch with him to talk price and timing.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
9/14/12 5:50 a.m.

Most normal shippers will take the job, it just costs more because the driver has to muscle the thing around.

With no motor it should be pretty light. What would it cost to fetch it with a dolly?

Dan

dean1484
9/14/12 6:36 a.m.

Not a real rush that I know of other than me wanting to get it here. I will talk to my friend more today and hammer some of teh details out. He should have the ability to load it as he deals with dead cars all the time. He has somthing like 200 944's between his two shops. One of the reason for thinning the heard is that he is over the limit that local ordinances allow and some on complained

Winston
Winston Reader
9/14/12 7:11 a.m.

Just make an account and list it up on uShip.com. Since you're not under a hard deadline, you have time to wait for a good bid (pro tip: DON'T take one of the first bids... they're always the highest). The best ones come when somebody is already headed between your two cities (or close) and needs to fill out their load. I've had several cars and other things shipped to me with uShip and it worked out fine; just be sure that your shipper has lots of good feedback.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas HalfDork
9/14/12 7:32 a.m.

I just did a Florida-to-Kansas tow, classic Mini behind a Ford Ranger with SWMBO, in about 36 hours. Decided to use a tow dolly because shipping was "expensive", and I was sure we could do it cheaper.

It was an adventure. We're already laughing about it. Neither of us is excited to do it again soon, though. Towing didn't save much at all, if anything. We made it home safe, and we've got the memories, but that's about all I've got to say for fetch-it-yerself. I'd have it shipped.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZEUPL7ib09RdG3WbctuYCbZ7H8EWkNhLR0Bw2YeRRUgc2VeXV13uq8GOZ5Y2cEpU