PMRacing
PMRacing GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/17/22 6:43 p.m.

What are the best all around wiper bladesm. I have a set of OE Audi Bosch blades that are the single piece type, no exposed springs. In the snow and slush they constantly get frozen and don't clear the windshield very well and streak like crazy as soon as a piece of ice gets stuck in the blade. I had to stop on my way home today to clear the blades off it got so bad. 

So what say the hive?

Thanks!

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/17/22 6:48 p.m.

Bosch Icon.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/17/22 7:44 p.m.

Regardless of brand, the solid rubber ones seem to shed snow faster than even the old rubber boot ones did.

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/17/22 8:26 p.m.

Consumer reports stopped rating them a few years ago. They said "they're all basically fine, and for best performance replace them every 6 months"

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
2/17/22 9:03 p.m.

I bought a bunch of Michelin blades at Menards that seem to be working well.

rslifkin
rslifkin UberDork
2/18/22 8:53 a.m.

The BMW just runs OE blades.  I occasionally have to break ice off them to get good wiping action, but usually just at the start of a drive, very rarely after that.  Other blades without the OE spoilers are a worse tradeoff, as even if they ice up less, they don't work as well at highway speed. 

On the Jeep I never liked the behavior of frameless blades.  I eventually settled on the PIAA silicone blades (they last a damn long time, only thing that's ever lasted more than 1 summer on the boat).  The frames do ice up and I would periodically have to stop and break the ice off them.  Then I put in a washer fluid heater.  That was the most wonderful thing I've ever done.  Let the hot, steamy, blast of methanol filled washer fluid hit the blades and they almost instantly de-ice (complete with a steam cloud to freak out other cars if you're moving slowly). 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/18/22 9:42 a.m.

The OE blades on my Merc have been better than any other set I have ever had. After 40k miles the current set is still good as new. I don't know who really makes them. They have the little Benz symbol on them that is all. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zzSwQhiqtDLwQ3j5Ab9G64qFiteJkFsVv1dahCnPFX7BMxd4WrQZ6uqEE7T24NCm