crankwalk
crankwalk Dork
1/30/16 9:14 p.m.

We swung by the lake today to watch a little ice racing for the first time.

I've been waiting for this since seeing the Roadkill episode where the drove here in the Raunchero

Im used to autocrossing in hot parking lots and this....this is something very different. Tires last WAAAAY longer. Horsepower doesn't matter as much.And it's wheel to wheel.

Temps were in the high 20's and it felt great out there. The fog was EXTREMELY thick and must have been pretty tricky on the course with no cones or visual references.

Here's a couple photos from the day (couldnt get a lot of action shots in the fog).

Bill's super quick VW

10 year old homemade studs. I couldnt believe how long they can last. Makes sense I suppose.

You just dont see enough truck racing anymore on this level:

From the AK sports car club FB page tonight: Shows how bad the fog was

I'm not bringing up my 240Z for a while so the halfassed craigslist search has begun.

Studded tires require a cage and IT level tech. So nonstudded winter tires, manual trans, something I dont care about getting bashed around a little...I'm thinking CRX, FB RX7, Neon, Saturn. Less than $1000 would be great AND the ability to rallycross in the summer too would be great. I have no interest in being competitive at all at this point but this seems like a relatively cheap way to still have fun out here in a beater in the winter.

obrut
obrut New Reader
1/30/16 9:36 p.m.

Sweet, ive wanted to try ice racing but there is nothing close to me. Looks fun and cheap, two of my favorites things.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
1/31/16 11:25 a.m.

We are just not getting enough ice here in upstate NY. Very close, but.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xGNu9XGYOLlyz0DKrzt6bqTZYUfOpb7bqLUY4uMnGS2ke5UNAb9JTRae8FgMf2ql