1 2
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/20 10:10 p.m.

One of you recommended I use this stuff to clean the biohazard in my 89 951 maybe 2000 challenge car build.  

This stuff works absolutely great at cleaning up mold and mildew.  

I ended up with the interior looking like this. 

This was only one pass and I was using a towel that I kept rincing in a bucket of hot water laced with a couple table spoons of bleach that I ended up changing six times. I also misted the carpets with it and then followed it up with a misting of hot bleach laced water and then a scrubbing with a soft brush followed by more plain hot water and a wet vac. I repeated the hot water and wet vac a second time. 

I sprayed and wiped every surface on the cars interior with this stuff including the headliner, door rubbers, windows, everything. Even sprayed it down the vents but they did not look like they had been contaminated. I am going to go at it again but with a clean stack of rags so I only wipe once and then set the rag aside to remove any residue and not just move it around. 

Some before photos.  You could not breath in this car  I had to use my respirator designed for mold to even stick my head in the open door but now there is not even the faintest wif of the what was in there.  It was interesting and kind of grose in that the areas on the car that had direct contact with human skin were by far the worst. 

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe Reader
1/12/20 10:15 p.m.

As an lol, Spray 9 bottles used to advertise it kills aids in under 30 seconds.

dean1484
1/12/20 10:29 p.m.
JesseWolfe said:

I don't know how old you are but I remember just how scary aids was before we knew what it was and understood the illness and how it could be passed on to others. Not a fun time at all. 

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/12/20 10:32 p.m.

Wait, 951 with sport seats for challenge money? Is there a build thread?

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/12/20 10:34 p.m.

+1 to what Angry said. Those seats look mint!

dean1484
1/12/20 10:39 p.m.

Next step is a second wipe down and then an ozone machien treatment. 

Then I can get back to seeing if the motor is good or if I am swapping it with the one I got from MO30. I do know that the motor is not frozen

The car sat for 7 years next to a swamp with a car cover on it.  I actually went to look at a different car on the property and spotted this way out back behind the house. Ended up purchasing this instead of the other 944 that had been converted to look like a 951.  It is very dirty and partially disassembled. I have box's of stuff to go through to see what I have and what may be missing. (I hope not much) My big fear is the the brake calipers are shot as replacements are big $$ and would probably put me over the challenge budget. 

dean1484
1/12/20 10:43 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

Wait, 951 with sport seats for challenge money? Is there a build thread?

Not yet. I am really just doing the cleaning now and waiting till warmer weather to actually start building it. Today and yesterday were in the high 60s so I got a jump on things. I am making chk lists and spreadsheets at the moment getting a plan in place. 

dean1484
1/12/20 10:44 p.m.
RacetruckRon said:

+1 to what Angry said. Those seats look mint!

They cleaned up WAY better than I expected as did the rest of the cars interior. 

dean1484
1/12/20 10:51 p.m.

Still sorting out exactly what I got. It was a track day car. The suspension is really tight. It appears to have coil overs in the rear. I don't know what type. And the whole car is lowered. I found Koni strut adjusters in the glove box but I have not looked at the front yet to see if there are koni's in there. 

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
1/12/20 11:40 p.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

Looking good Dean!

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy PowerDork
1/13/20 7:04 a.m.
dean1484 said:
My big fear is the the brake calipers are shot as replacements are big $$ and would probably put me over the challenge budget. 

First off, the car's transformation is Amazing!  Nice work.

Second, as long as you have a set of the originals, a replacement set of stock brakes (including calipers) is budget exempt.  Don't let this stop you from bringing the car to the Challenge.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/13/20 8:39 a.m.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/13/20 8:52 a.m.
dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/13/20 8:52 a.m.
Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/13/20 8:55 a.m.

Awesome!!

Knurled.
1/13/20 9:16 a.m.
JesseWolfe said:

I had to check, because I could have sworn they still did.  Nope, sometime in the last couple years they took it off the bottle.

AngryCorvair
1/13/20 9:23 a.m.
Indy-Guy said:
dean1484 said:
My big fear is the the brake calipers are shot as replacements are big $$ and would probably put me over the challenge budget. 

as long as you have a set of the originals, a replacement set of stock brakes (including calipers) is budget exempt.  Don't let this stop you from bringing the car to the Challenge.

if it's an actual money issue and not a Challenge budget issue, let me know if i can help.  i've rebuilt a caliper or two (hundred) in my life.

Flynlow
Flynlow HalfDork
1/13/20 9:57 a.m.

This gives me hope that I can resurrect my own biohazard parts car.  Thanks for the before/after pics and detailed explanation.  

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
1/13/20 11:07 a.m.
dean1484 said:  My big fear is the the brake calipers are shot as replacements are big $$ and would probably put me over the challenge budget. 

If the calipers are bad could you replace the brakes with standard 944 calipers (and rotors if needed)?  I think standard 944 stuff should be cheap.  Certainly I wouldn't track it that way but just for the Challenge I think they would be fine.  One lap of an autocross course can't possibly put as much heat into the rotors as multiple track laps, right?  :-)

After the Challenge when you have no budget restriction you could do the neccesary upgrade.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/13/20 12:29 p.m.
DWNSHFT said:
dean1484 said:  My big fear is the the brake calipers are shot as replacements are big $$ and would probably put me over the challenge budget. 

If the calipers are bad could you replace the brakes with standard 944 calipers (and rotors if needed)?  I think standard 944 stuff should be cheap.  Certainly I wouldn't track it that way but just for the Challenge I think they would be fine.  One lap of an autocross course can't possibly put as much heat into the rotors as multiple track laps, right?  :-)

After the Challenge when you have no budget restriction you could do the neccesary upgrade.

The mounts for the fronts are different and would require different uprights/hubs/rotos.  The rear calipers use the same bolt pattern, but different rotors.

For the Challenge, not a big deal as long as you were able to fit the change into the budget properly and for autocross the smaller brakes wouldn't be a bad thing.

The Brembo multi-piston caliper rebuilds probably aren't too bad from a physical effort standpoint, just parts acquisition since you have to get the proper sizes for each piston and they are sold individually, so effectively 16 seal kits would be needed.

jstein77
jstein77 UberDork
1/13/20 12:38 p.m.
JesseWolfe said:

Not for internal use. ;)

AngryCorvair
1/13/20 1:42 p.m.
Stefan said:
The Brembo multi-piston caliper rebuilds probably aren't too bad from a physical effort standpoint, just parts acquisition since you have to get the proper sizes for each piston and they are sold individually, so effectively 16 seal kits would be needed.

as long as the steel pistons aren't stuck in the aluminum housing due to galvanic corrosion.

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/13/20 2:07 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:
Stefan said:

as long as the steel pistons aren't stuck in the aluminum housing due to galvanic corrosion.

Yeah, that would berkeleying suck and make them lovely paper weights.

Luckily, the V8 944 nerds have found alternative calipers to use that provide more surface area than you likely would ever need on a 944, even one powered by a healthy V8.

http://944hybrids.forumotion.com/f4-brake-mods

Knurled.
1/13/20 3:25 p.m.
jstein77 said:
JesseWolfe said:

Not for internal use. ;)

Pretty sure if you injected Spray Nine you would not have HIV.  Or anything else, including a pulse.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE HalfDork
1/13/20 11:36 p.m.

Who carries Spray9? What mix did you use? I probably might need this when it begins to warm up.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mMPcTGQURTKZtP7ZVyBDB6bLEgCArUQYfkiWxgXUp7nUrik8yuOInoHiYWnnO6Lp