INTRO:

Somehow I've made it almost 6 years and 90k miles in my E60 without any kind of BMW-specific diagnostic tools. When I replaced my alternator, I paid a guy to code it or reset adaptations or whatever the BMW-speak is for allowing it to work right on the car. Same for replacing the battery and changing trans and transfer case fluids, as well as diagnosing faulty clock spring / SWA sensor.

Later today I'm picking up an E92 that I'm planning to keep long enough to have to do some of these things again.

QUESTION:

what hardware / software / app / dongle / etc should I buy, so I can do all that stuff, plus diagnose wheel speed sensors, steer angle sensors, monitor engine data, etc?

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
5/1/21 6:54 a.m.

I have a slightly earlier version of this one. Aside from the updating process being a bit convoluted, I have no complaints. If you prefer I think you can probably get the generic Foxwell tool it's based on and load the software packages yourself; I opted for this because it came with everything ready to go out of the box.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/1/21 7:51 a.m.

I have the Schwaben as well, which is a Foxwell 510 rebranded by ECS.

It works really well on my e46, not so well on my wife's F31. I tried to register a new battery in my e92 and could do the whole thing but I could not find the correct amp-hr in it, I used the closest and it worked well for a year. It's a clunky interface so it could be due to user error. 

Another option is to buy a laptop with INPA loaded on ebay. Or get INPA and try to load yourself on a laptop. 

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
5/1/21 8:35 a.m.

In my experience, laptop diagnostics is MUCH less user friendly than the foxwell/schwaben tool which is dead simple. 

I would say get the schwaben tool and dont look back unless you are tech savvy with troubleshooting the troubleshooter in which case INPA may be for you and obviously has the most functionality.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/1/21 9:01 a.m.

In reply to Olemiss540 :

INPA has a steep learning curve unless someone can guide you through it. Even the install is a pain and hence why I said buy a laptop with it loaded. 

Also keep in mind that it might be in German surprise

hoots04
hoots04 New Reader
5/1/21 4:12 p.m.

I used DeepOBD app from my phone on my MINI.  Can do all the INPA stuff.  BMW/Mini and VW support as well.  I used a K+CAN cable from ebay connected to a mico USB adapter to connect to my samsung galaxy but it has support for bluetooth OBD scanners as well.  I tried messing with INPA on my laptop but I could never get it to run right.  I needed something to clear a steering wheel lock light and this did the trick.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
5/1/21 4:23 p.m.
Slippery said:

In reply to Olemiss540 :

INPA has a steep learning curve unless someone can guide you through it. Even the install is a pain and hence why I said buy a laptop with it loaded. 

Also keep in mind that it might be in German surprise

Exactly. Buying the laptop was as far as I ended up getting before swapping for a Schwaben.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dISc4lZJRgVpuBIzn9vOGardprlkxuagCu91gupb1tjEG3U827Ps0yy0auxNVge4