mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi HalfDork
8/30/21 6:56 a.m.

My fuel pump fuse popped on my 06 330i e90.  To figure out why I think i need to install ISTA-D.  That means a windows laptop and a usb to obd cable, right?  

I have a foxwell scanner that doesn't seem to be nearly as capable.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/30/21 7:07 a.m.

I have this cable for my mini.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L498NGZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It came with a cd with the bmw software on it. I was only able to get inpa working but i didn't put much effort into trying to figure out how to use ista-d. 

hoots04
hoots04 New Reader
8/30/21 11:28 p.m.

I used Deep OBD to get rid of the ELV warning light on my on my MINI after a low battery.  Easy to use.  Installs on phone.  All the functions of ISTA-D, INPA and Tool32.  I used a K-CAN+ cable with a USB adapter for my Samsung phone but it also works with BT OBD adapters as well.

https://deep-obd-for-bmw-and-vag.apps112.com/

I tried installing ISTA on an older laptop but I could never get the software working despite reading through pages and pages of posts and tutorials.

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
8/31/21 6:16 a.m.

What is it that you expect ISTA to tell you that the Foxwell won't? Which Foxwell do you have?

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi HalfDork
8/31/21 7:10 a.m.

I want to see if i have codes in the EKPS fuel pump control module, as well as anything that will help me discern if there's a problem which caused my fuel pump fuse to blow.  I have the foxwell nt510.

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
8/31/21 8:22 a.m.

In reply to mikeatrpi :

Huh. I would have expected the Foxwell to be able to display that. Might have to plug mine in and do a little digging. As an aside, have you updated the Foxwell with the latest BMW software? I know they add functionality in some updates.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
8/31/21 8:26 a.m.
02Pilot said:

In reply to mikeatrpi :

Huh. I would have expected the Foxwell to be able to display that. Might have to plug mine in and do a little digging. As an aside, have you updated the Foxwell with the latest BMW software? I know they add functionality in some updates.

I agree. The Foxwell should be able to handle this I would think. 

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi HalfDork
9/4/21 7:45 a.m.

Ok so i upgraded the foxwell... Wow it's like a whole new machine.  No codes on EKPS but I'll play with the live data this weekend.  Thanks saved me a bit of a headache here

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/4/21 8:06 a.m.

Finding the cause of a blown fuse is very unlikely to be solved with a scan tool.  

02Pilot
02Pilot UltraDork
9/4/21 8:19 a.m.

In reply to mikeatrpi :

Glad to hear it.

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi HalfDork
9/5/21 2:06 p.m.

It's pulling about 8 amps while the car is running.  Spec is 8 to 13A.  

mikeatrpi
mikeatrpi HalfDork
9/5/21 2:06 p.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vhIZ3rhXPLOmKi1U1FKZo9posQ4XLw4KDGbir8axzhphAi6rZD12In24voXFbK5K