1 2 3 ... 5
singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/23/23 10:29 a.m.

With the BRIC stuff, we are concerned that oil prices are going to start working their way up again. Currently, I drive either a Chevy Astro or 96 Town car. These both get around 18 mpgs. I am considering selling both for a Bolt. It seems like the only EV that meets all my criteria (Cheap, liquid cooling, easy to find, decent range, and most importantly CHEAP). The used market on these seems to bottom out around 18K for higher miles near me. I don't really want one that needs work though. A new one is $27k. The new one should qualify for the full tax credit though, right? So then we are at 20k. A used one might get the partial credit but then it is still not a huge difference between a new one and a 5 year old one. Is this accurate? 

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/23/23 10:52 a.m.

I am here to learn.  95% of my driving could be bolted.  Hell it could be i3d

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/23 10:58 a.m.

Can you actually buy a new Bolt for MSRP? It's one thing for GM to put a number on their website, it's something else to find a dealer who 1) has one and 2) is willing to part with it for MSRP. If that "new" price is fiction and so many of the older ones just got retrofitted with the new battery, it's not surprising the used prices are strong.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/23/23 11:03 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

There is a dealer in St Louis with 70 (per their website) and I sent them a request for a quote. I agree that if I can't get one at MSRP, I'm likely out. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/23/23 11:37 a.m.

In reply to singleslammer :

Shop!!  Not just one place, but every Chevy dealer  within  270 miles.  ( maybe more if out west).  
     At least a text message.  If it sounds good make a phone call to confirm.  Yes you will expect to pay shipping. Plus tax and license.  Over and above the selling price.  Options are extra and some are really worth while because they make owning it cheaper to  insure.  Others are nice, no more likely to fail  than anything else and if they fail during the warranty period they fix it free!!!! 
     Used has no such warranty unless the mileage is below the warranty limits.  
   Good news, any used one will have a new or newish battery with 100,000 mile warranty. Same as a new one. 
      Realistically you can expect about 20 years out of those batteries. So don't expect to replace it soon.  
   Yes some ICE engines, transmissions,   etc.  blow up in 60-70,000 miles but not as a rule.   So you aren't taking any more of a risk with an EV than any car.  
            Balancing used VS New?  I'm never a price buyer which used car buyers tend to be.  The new one typically will have a lower interest rate .  Plus often on used ones the dealer puts new tires on but they are cheap new tires, that wear quickly and have poor traction.  So don't be fooled. 
 Do check the battery in a used one  has been replaced.  Or is still covered by the free battery replacement.  Otherwise you have one more thing to worry about.    On a used one the second it's driven off the lot it will be depreciated by 20%+ then every 12,000 miles it should go down another 15% off new list.  Add back in the cost of any options you want.  
       One of the most valuable will be hands free driving.   That's the big insurance savings.  Intelligent cruise control is almost as valuable. ( emergency stopping if you are distracted and someone stops suddenly)  blind spot warning lowers insurance as well  

Nice to have is a big display screen with GPS.  

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/23/23 11:49 a.m.

My son in law just bought one for MSRP. 2023 EUV for $28K minus the full tax credit. 

Color me VERY interested. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/23/23 11:53 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Yep, all of that is gonna happen if we get to the point of purchase. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/23/23 11:55 a.m.

In reply to SV reX :

That is interesting, I am not sure I want the bigger one but honestly I havent driven either. 

So he paid the 28k and then still qualifies for the tax credit? That is exactly what I wanted to hear!

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/23/23 11:55 a.m.

...PLUS Chevrolet installed a 240V charger at his home for FREE. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/23/23 11:59 a.m.
singleslammer said:

In reply to SV reX :

That is interesting, I am not sure I want the bigger one but honestly I havent driven either. 

So he paid the 28k and then still qualifies for the tax credit? That is exactly what I wanted to hear!

It's nice that the CUV is almost the same price.  My wife has a Honda CRV    and it's replacement needs to be about the same thing.  Oh!! And a free install of a Charger?   
 Excellant!   

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
3/23/23 11:59 a.m.

From what I've read from others' recent searches, it's much easier to get a Bolt EUV than a regular Bolt right now. GM seems to be making more of the EUVs, and fleets are snatching up a lot of the base Bolts.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/23/23 12:08 p.m.

In reply to STM317 :

Well, if the difference is a grand or so, that isn't too bad to get the EUV. It's an appliance so I don't expect either to be fun to drive. 

Keith Tanner
3/23/23 12:15 p.m.
SV reX said:

My son in law just bought one for MSRP. 2023 EUV for $28K minus the full tax credit. 

Color me VERY interested. 

Glad to hear they're out there. If I look on Chevy's website for inventory (https://www.chevrolet.com/electric/shopping/inventory/) the closest one that has a price on it is 288 miles from me. All the rest are "Contact Dealer" and the majority of them are listed as "In Transit".

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
3/23/23 12:15 p.m.
frenchyd said:
singleslammer said:

In reply to SV reX :

It's nice that the CUV is almost the same price.  My wife has a Honda CRV    and it's replacement needs to be about the same thing.  Oh!! And a free install of a Charger?   
 Excellant!   

The Bolt EUV is not really a typical CUV, and is much smaller than a CRV. The EUV is about 6" longer (mostly in between the wheels) and 0.2" taller than a regular Bolt. The slightly larger Bolt EUV actually gets a hair less cargo space than a regular Bolt.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/23/23 12:17 p.m.

The EUV is interesting...

The proportions are all similar to a CUV. My first thought was "How are they getting the mileage out of a car this big". But its deceptive. When I saw it parked next to my son's Subaru RS, I realized it's pretty small (the Subie looked huge).

Good looking vehicle. 

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/23/23 12:30 p.m.

In reply to STM317 :

Good to know, thanks. Unfortunately, that big dealer in St Louis (Bommarito) only has the EV on their website so I can't directly compare if I go there. 

Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter)
Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/23/23 12:34 p.m.

$30,000 is cheap?? Not in my world.

Two tanks of gas a week for me adds up to about $4,000 a year. I usually use less than that. If you guzzler is paid for it's still cheaper.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/23/23 12:34 p.m.

In reply to STM317 :

Nice information.   Thank you.  

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/23/23 1:04 p.m.

In reply to Snowdoggie (Forum Supporter) :

It's not $30K. 

Its $28K minus $7500... That's $20,500. 

You can't ever make the case that buying a new car will be less than the cost of your fuel consumption. But people buy new cars, and you certainly CAN make the case that if you are in the market for a new car, you won't find many things in the $20,000 range that can begin to compete with a Bolt. 

THEN you can ALSO enjoy the fuel savings. 

OR, you could just do it because it seems like the right thing to do. 

Keith Tanner
3/23/23 1:14 p.m.

It's also very convenient. Assuming you can charge at home, gas stations become a thing of history - I can tell you this is one of the major perks for my wife. You just never look at how much fuel you have because it starts each day full, and a Bolt has enough range that you won't burn through it in a day unless you're on a road trip. The HVAC is not tied to whatever state the engine is in, you can heat/cool the car before you even get in (which is an amazing luxury). It's quick. It just works. For $20k - MSRP for the cheapest version of the cheapest Kia - it's a killer deal even before you start seeing fuel savings.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
3/23/23 1:25 p.m.

Part of it is that I want something that I can not worry about. I have plenty of junk in various states of running. I would like my main car to not be on that list. A 26 year old anything isn't that. The van is 21 years old and only has 56k miles but it still is old and it doesn't have rear seats so no kids in that vehicle. 

Thanks for that Keith and Paul. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/23/23 1:27 p.m.
SV reX said:

Go on...

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
3/23/23 1:33 p.m.

In reply to SV reX :

The average person travels 12,000 a year.  The cost of a gallon of 87 octane is around 3.50 the average fuel consumption is 22 Mpg.     That's $1909/ year. Assume a 20 year life. $38,180.  
     Now What is your cost for electricity?   
    I'm pretty sure an EV will pay for itself in fuel savings alone.   Plus no more driving to the gas station, no more scheduled oil changes?  you leave each morning with a full "tank". 
    Plus it's quiet.  

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
3/23/23 1:34 p.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

https://www.chevrolet.com/electric/living-electric/home-charging-installation

I'm guessing they're claiming the Tax credit included in recent legislation in exchange for the 'free' installation.

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
3/23/23 1:40 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
SV reX said:

Go on...

I don't know more details. I only know what he told me, and that's what I shared. You know as much as I do. 

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rGrCr5ahMGmGLiZXqWe03QZQTDol5FxScU83MabxIfmhslTo875HqRXATk9ByYKo