1 2
z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
10/24/14 11:51 a.m.
Slippery wrote:
Gieb wrote: Excuse my ignorance, but why would you want a roll bar in a non-convertible? For competition use, you'd need a full cage. For track days, you wouldn't need anything. Why go half way?
1. Because he wants to 2. If you want to use a proper harness. I run a bolt in roll bar in my e36 M3, its the only way I would feel ok with a harness.

Harness, exactly.

Trying to drive on track with a normal seatbelt sucks, terribly. It's much easier (and safer) to concentrate on what you are doing in a proper seat and harness setup.

I suspect those of you that have a problem with that idea have never had an incident on track before. Granted I was on 2 wheels when I had my incident at the track, but a proper safety setup is something I won't do without.

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
10/24/14 1:12 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: 2500lb car with a tested and proven design vs a 2800lb car and a company I've never heard of.

FTFY

Sounds like the Autopower bar is your answer then: In-plane diagonal, comes standard with a harness bar, from a company you've probably heard of, using DOM mild steel rather than "junk" () DOM/CDS 4130.

Vracer111
Vracer111 New Reader
10/24/14 1:53 p.m.

Just noticed on the Autopower the main hoop is a weld in for the FRS...FRS structure is somewhat tricky I think for safely installing bolt in bars...cannot use the floor.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/24/14 2:31 p.m.
Vracer111 wrote: Autopower makes good roll bars

Yeah, I'll have to agree to disagree.

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
10/24/14 2:47 p.m.
Vracer111 wrote: I think for safely installing bolt in bars...cannot use the floor.

Why not?

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
10/24/14 5:49 p.m.
Driven5 wrote:
z31maniac wrote: 2500lb car with a tested and proven design vs a 2800lb car and a company I've never heard of.
FTFY Sounds like the Autopower bar is your answer then: In-plane diagonal, comes standard with a harness bar, from a company you've probably heard of, using DOM mild steel rather than "junk" () DOM/CDS 4130.

Since when does a gutted NA Miata weigh 2500lbs?

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
10/25/14 12:25 a.m.

Since when are Hard Dog bars only "tested and proven" to work on gutted NA's?

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
10/25/14 8:04 a.m.
Driven5 wrote:
Vracer111 wrote: I think for safely installing bolt in bars...cannot use the floor.
Why not?

Ouch - I have a headache just looking at that.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
10/25/14 3:19 p.m.
Driven5 wrote: Since when are Hard Dog bars only "tested and proven" to work on gutted NA's?

Jesus Christ you are pedantic to point of seppuku, have you heard of YouTube?

Do you know how to use google? FFS.

Also that mustang is at Hallett, my home track and example I was going to bring up about "modern" cars not needing a roll bar.

docwyte
docwyte Dork
10/25/14 8:45 p.m.

That mustang was one of the reasons I went with a custom, welded rollbar in my track car.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/26/14 9:40 a.m.
turboswede wrote:
Vracer111 wrote: Autopower makes good roll bars
Yeah, I'll have to agree to disagree.

This.

The one in our MSM was awful.

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
10/26/14 11:24 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac:

One man's pedantic is another man's refutation. All things considered, I'll take that as a compliment.

While a very atypical crash, I definitely agree that it's also a good illustration of why it's worth considering additional safety equipment that goes beyond the minimum requirements, even for fixed roof street cars at non-competition track events. Of course, even a stronger bolt-in rollbar design than was installed obviously would have done little good in that particular crash without it also being tied into the vertical chassis structures.

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
lKszWW1SYK0YpYpMfTAq5qy60HSqyrZXBOZM0W3hPUgNjQUupi0u5SPrT651jyui