David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/10/08 8:03 p.m.

When was the last time you bought a high-performance anti-roll bar for 10 bucks? How about a limited-slip differential for $75? You say you just spent only $500 for a set of wide wheels for your car? Hey, we could have gotten the same size wheels for only $100-and that's for all four of them.

You may think we get …

Read the rest of the story

zordak
zordak Reader
1/1/19 11:18 a.m.

I printed out the GM portion and used it to find inexpensive performance parts for my 3rd gen firebird on ebay and craigslist.  Thanks

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/1/19 12:04 p.m.

Quick addition to the 3rd gen Camaro/Firebird section

Fast ratio steering boxes came on cars with 16" wheels.

The Wonder bar is a bolt on brace that runs from side to side near the front sway bar mounts. Get one if you find it.

From 82-89 there was a 7.75 ring gear axle as well. The Borg-Warner 9 bolt. ratios were 2.77, 3.23 and 3.45. Its very strong with an easy to shim LSD unit, bolt in axles, and a 2 pin carrier. Most had disc brakes too. 1989 had aluminum rear calipers but brackets are out the to use these on the earlier ones too.

Cooter
Cooter Dork
1/1/19 12:09 p.m.

This is in the first issue of GRM I ever bought, IIRC.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/1/19 3:14 p.m.

In BMWland, an E36 fuel pump and sender will drop into a 2002 tank to replace the stock pickup/sender. Oddly, I never had any slosh-related issues autocrossing it with Megasquirt. Sure seems like I should've needed a surge tank. Fuel gauge even worked. The only hiccup is that you need a 2002 tank with a bung for the fuel return line, which I think means tii...

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
1/1/19 4:15 p.m.

You jumped right over Jaguar. 

Would you like the low down on those?  A lot of swapping and interchange goes on there.  Much of it I’ve already posted.  

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/1/19 6:40 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

They just didn’t want to step on our resident expert’s toes. 

Cooter
Cooter Dork
1/1/19 7:15 p.m.

In reply to grover :

Well, it was written 20 years ago...

mrwillie
mrwillie Dork
1/2/19 11:59 a.m.
Cooter said:

Yep. I bought this at Barnes and Nobles back in the day. Still have it somewhere....

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project Reader
1/2/19 5:59 p.m.

For the RX7, the '84-85 rear diffs can accept the Torsen LSD from a Miata. You can actually use the entire front section (u-joint hub to ring+pinion + diff) if you grind off the mounts for the IRS, which eliminates the need to set backlash.

te72
te72 Reader
1/2/19 10:42 p.m.

Those early Corollas and Celicas can fit the variety of inline six and UZ v8 engines from later cars, if you want to make a drag missile on the (relatively) cheap.  I know of at least a handful of 10 second tin cans that always put a smile on my face.

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/3/19 9:28 a.m.

Did I miss the Subaru swap/interchangeability list?  It probably needs it's own article.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/3/19 10:26 a.m.

In reply to fornetti14 :

Subaru’s were covered in the original article, the link in David’s post will bring you there.

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/3/19 10:44 a.m.

How can I miss that ?!

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/3/19 11:55 a.m.

Wish I had seen this 20 years ago. It is basically the starter kit to everything I think is cool about modifying cars...

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
1/3/19 12:51 p.m.
Ransom said:

In BMWland, an E36 fuel pump and sender will drop into a 2002 tank to replace the stock pickup/sender. Oddly, I never had any slosh-related issues autocrossing it with Megasquirt. Sure seems like I should've needed a surge tank. Fuel gauge even worked. The only hiccup is that you need a 2002 tank with a bung for the fuel return line, which I think means tii...

Or a drill and a bulkhead fitting. :)

Tk8398
Tk8398 Reader
1/4/19 9:41 p.m.

This article is about 15 years too late now to actually find any of that stuff in the junkyard even in California lol.  Its hard to find vw stuff older than mk4, even second gen neons are nearly gone from the dodge section, the 3-4 rows of f bodies are down to the occasional v6 4th gen, etc.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/5/19 12:59 a.m.

I loved this article when it came out.

I'd really like to see an updated version of it. Like how the 350Z LSD goes on a G35- you know, the stuff you can find in the boneyards now. Yes, all of the information is likely available with a Google search and some forum trolling. The signal to noise ratio at GRM seems to always be better than at the forums, though.

I know you also covered lots of it in the vehicle specific articles in the mag already. 

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/5/19 9:22 a.m.

I remember this article.  And some of the pics . . .

_
_ Reader
1/5/19 10:34 a.m.

The link in the Miata segment takes you to AOL! LOL!

David S. Wallens
1/10/19 5:21 p.m.
Cooter said:

Wow, cool. And, dang, that's from like 20 years ago!

David S. Wallens
1/10/19 5:23 p.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

I'd really like to see an updated version of it. 

Not a crazy idea....

chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
2/28/19 7:54 a.m.
frenchyd said:

You jumped right over Jaguar. 

Would you like the low down on those?  A lot of swapping and interchange goes on there.  Much of it I’ve already posted.  

frenchy

Yes please!  While I doubt much of it would carry over into the X400 (X-Type) it would still be interesting to learn.

Maybe it is time for an updated article talking about some of the more popular cross-platform swaps (leaving out the obvious LS swaps...)?

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
2/28/19 8:21 a.m.

In reply to chknhwk :

The basic platform all Jaguars made after 1975 is based on the first XJ6  In 1971 so swapping back and forth between the early Iron six cylinder, the V12 and the later all aluminum six cylinder is relatively easy. 

Unbolt the rear end. And it will go onto any sedan  from 1971- 1997.   Inboard  brakes until 1990 on most platforms. Out board afterwards.  Various years had different or no rear sway bar. Suggest springs were in the sedans lighted spring were in the XJS COUPES 

Same with the front crossmember.  Springs and swaybar will interchange. 3.6 XJS coupes had the softest  and XJ12 sedans had the stiffest.  

Transmission mounts varied between the Iron Borg Warner used up to mid 1977 and the Aluminum GM Turbo 400  BUT you can bolt the later transmission mount onto the earlier cars.  

A Jaguar manual transmission 4 speed from the V12 XKE will bolt onto any V12 up to mid 1977 and even 8 XJS’s were built using that combination.  The basic manual 4 speed ( Full syncro ) from XKE’s and early 3.8 sedans is used even though it is near its upper limit regarding strength. 

Wiring though is a nightmare.  Little interchange and even mid year modifications and changes. particularly with regard to fuel injection. The first cars came out with carburetors. Switched to fuel injection ( which is basically 3 Jetronic units) then switched to various Lucas fuel injection units. 

chknhwk
chknhwk HalfDork
2/28/19 8:47 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Awesome, thank you!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ADvVLi3oF2UbxVg1kAaFJe9iTli918vhodaPMdtYCtXmfD7GfrO7vk1xo5njrApp