1 2
Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/17/22 1:17 p.m.

Dirtymo media should give you access.  Worth the listen.

There are some people who are just natural racers, and the last two weeks have had them.  Boris never set foot in a race car until his early 20's, and we know what happened there.  The week before, Red Farmer, who is 93 or so, and still occasionally races a modified against his Grandsons was telling stories from 70 years of racing, including starting with absolutely no knowledge, and winning anyway.  His episode is also well worth a listen.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
2/17/22 2:29 p.m.

Thanks for the heads up on this, The Taylor one a bit back was great!

hybridmomentspass
2/17/22 2:42 p.m.

Is this one just audio or is there/will there be video to accompany?

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/17/22 2:57 p.m.

Audio, with little bits of video available on the website later.  NBC also edits for time, and broadcasts some of the interviews.

I play Freecell while listening.  Two unrelated parts of the brain, so it's one of the only multi task things I can do.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
2/17/22 8:09 p.m.

Posted on YouTube today. 17 minutes.

Make me a sandwich.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLykczA2aYE

Loweguy5
Loweguy5 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/18/22 6:28 a.m.

I watched the YouTube clip, now I want to watch the whole thing.

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
2/18/22 6:48 a.m.

The one with Gary Balough is a great listen.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
2/18/22 5:44 p.m.

I listened to Boris on dinner with racers he was a motorcycle guy before into dirt bikes,motocross and wonder  his own bike dealership then.  He thought car racing was boring until he saw f1 at the Detroit Grand Prix.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
2/18/22 5:47 p.m.

The David Hobbs one was fun as is any interview etc with but in particular them talking about cale yarborough having the in car camera and hearing him making car noises while driving at Daytona in 1983

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/22 6:23 a.m.

He has so many great ones. Ken Schrader and Bentley Warren were a lot of fun too.  

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/19/22 7:39 a.m.

His show is so good. I'm glad he found a medium that doesn't (so much) risk crashing into things and damaging his brain even further. 

Podcast link: 

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-dale-jr-download-dirty-mo-media/id603707723?i=1000551219704

Listened to this one now. Boris telling Dale  to "make me a peanut butter and jelly sandwich" was hilarious. Great stories. 

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
2/19/22 10:54 a.m.

I absolutely love The Dale Jr Download ...

hybridmomentspass
2/19/22 3:27 p.m.

I started this yesterday and finished this morning - wow!

I loved it, great interview, some awesome stories.

AND he's talking about another 24?! YES, PLEASE!

hybridmomentspass
2/19/22 3:28 p.m.

PS - obligatory "me and Boris" pic that everyone on here ought to have (well, not THIS one, but all should have met and taken a pic with the guy)

Circa 2012, I think. Think it was the 50th running

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/19/22 7:19 p.m.

In reply to hybridmomentspass :

That's much better than our confused selfie in my avatar.  

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
2/23/22 8:45 p.m.

And this week is Ernie Francis jr., who, if you are unfamiliar, is a seven time Trans Am champ.. at age 24.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/7/22 10:08 p.m.

Robert Wickens this week.  It was easy to tell that Dale was deeply affected by the story in places.

OHSCrifle
4/8/22 7:56 a.m.

The Ricky Craven episode was really good as well

OHSCrifle
6/5/22 4:11 p.m.

Anybody catch the Jeremy Mayfield part 1 of 2?

What a story. I'm 98% sure this cat got railroaded by Brian France. His resistance to admit guilt after all these years makes me think.. he ain't guilty.

But I can't figure out why he decided to tell Dr Black that he continued to take Adderal. In his mind that'd be part of proving his innocence - but that didn't work out so well.

Dale Earnhardt Jr and Mike Davis make a fantastic interviewing team. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
6/5/22 5:46 p.m.

Either Jeremy Mayfield is the finest liar in the world,  or he got rail roaded.  The other thing, this all happened about 15 years ago, there is no record of him ever going to rehab, and he has a lot more teeth and brain cells than your average meth enthusiast.

The Adderall Claritin thing was interesting.  Possibly prescribed, possibly a performance enhancing combo, but surely both legal, and there was no written drug policy at Nascar at the time.

It was sure easy for me to tell that Dale was sympathetic, and I'm not sure Mike was, to begin with.

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/5/22 8:22 p.m.

Looking forward to Part 2 of this interview.

hybridmomentspass
6/6/22 8:12 a.m.

Before committing several hours to interviews - what happened to Jeremy Mayfield? I dont know about him

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 Reader
6/6/22 8:39 a.m.
hybridmomentspass said:

Before committing several hours to interviews - what happened to Jeremy Mayfield? I dont know about him

In a word he was a largely mid-field NASCAR cup driver with moments of brilliance, never going to be a superstar but usually worth a surprise once a season. Under somewhat mysterious circumstances he was selected for a random drug test around the same time he leaked/confirmed an out in the open secret about a driver and her team owner. He tested positive for methamphetamine repeatedly under NASCAR's protocol (their lab, their doctor, their PR team, etc) while securing at least one negative independent test. Indefinitely suspended from the sport unless and until he admits guilt and completes a (NASCAR specific) treatment program. 

He's a redneck and as one I can identify that unique redneck behavior pattern where he pretty universally makes it worse for himself (befriending meth enthusiasts, large property auctions, being on MTV Cribs, etc) 

I can also say as someone who was prescribed Adderall as an adult the stuff is genuinely life changing but I have noticed some strangeness in my decision making process in addition to a much more light switch sort of temper. I can see how he if even only taking therapeutic doses may do some things that don't completely make sense. 

OHSCrifle
6/6/22 6:22 p.m.

In reply to Byrneon27 :

What was this part? I must have blinked  

out in the open secret about a driver and her team owner

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/6/22 9:44 p.m.
OHSCrifle said:

In reply to Byrneon27 :

What was this part? I must have blinked  

out in the open secret about a driver and her team owner

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Mayfield#Release_from_Evernham_Motorsports

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mvzdSaW23meVdxLydijxjzYDl6dLTYiNlYR77Oeb6EQ6Wo77l9wiiZsl0OmRxuFt