1 2
300zxfreak
300zxfreak Reader
10/17/22 5:54 p.m.

The gubberment would like your ICE vehicle to sound like an EV, so why not the other way 'round ?

Vroom, vroom, hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Turbo_Rev
Turbo_Rev Reader
10/17/22 6:24 p.m.

It's time for new cool noises.

Borla needs to figure out to soup-up EVs so they make cool high speed sci-noises, instead of admitting that they only sell products because people want their vehicle to sound fast without actually being fast. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/17/22 6:30 p.m.
Colin Wood said:
feature_image

Electric cars aren’t really known for their exhaust notes–but what if they could be?

Borla Exhaust is working on a system called “Active Performance Sound,” which is sort of like the electric car version of a bolt-on exhaust:

The Real Power of Sound

The sound of a powertrain adds a cherished layer of sensory awareness to driving enthusiasts, informing them …

Read the rest of the story

THIS is why I went apeE36 M3 about the new EV Charger concept's "exhaust" sound thing.

Error404
Error404 HalfDork
10/17/22 6:38 p.m.

That's almost as wicked cool as a fart can on a clapped out Civic. Sure seems like those games of "Would You Rather" that we played on deployment, you never really win.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/17/22 7:03 p.m.

At least it isn't Flowmaster.  One thing I don't miss is hearing an endless stream of 5.0 Fox-bodies that had that awful gargly rasp.

spedracer
spedracer New Reader
10/17/22 7:36 p.m.

I assume they have to try something to still have a business if all cars really do go electric, but I don't think this is going to be very successful. I don't want to be overly negative about people's personal preferences, but I'd judge the hell out of a passing EV that was playing fake V8 noises as it went by...

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
10/17/22 7:45 p.m.

In reply to Driven5 :

I imagine they see their ICE systems headed towards death so they gotta do something.  

RadBarchetta
RadBarchetta New Reader
10/18/22 12:59 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

Maybe this is a hot take, but I have zero issues with this or any other generated sound that adds to the driving experience. Honestly I just wish it was more open-source so users could define their own sound profiles. Who wouldn't want want a Camaro that didn't just sound like "Hot for Teacher" but actually PLAYED "Hot for Teacher."? Why not make your fart-can Honda actually make fart noises? Why can't we have motorcycles that go "Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!" like Fonzie when we rev them?

Agreed. When it comes down to it, all car noises are engineered to be a certain way. Mufflers, resonance chambers, etc are all ways of tuning the way a car sounds. This maybe takes it a step or two further, but ultimately it's the same thing.

triumph7
triumph7 HalfDork
10/18/22 1:21 p.m.
dean1484 said:

A little off topic but I want my GPS to be voiced by MR. T.    

"I pity the fool that don't take the next left"

laugh

I'd rather have Jeremy Clarkson

Edit:  Actually I think Hammond might be better... "Here, Allen starts up the expert GPS and commences arguing with it"

triumph7
triumph7 HalfDork
10/18/22 1:26 p.m.
03Panther said:

I had a stick horsey when I was a kid. We just made the noises ourselves. Didn't cost anywhere near as much, and did the same thing. 

You didn't bang two halves of a coconut together?

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
10/18/22 1:30 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

I get that, but it would actually be interesting if they did something more 'groundbreaking' that works entirely with enhancing the natural drivetrain sounds instead. Being imaginative and inventive, rather than gaudy and lazy.

In reply to RadBarchetta :

I disagree. Tuning sounds as they're being created, even with the aid of electronics, to accentuate and enhance them is not even remotely the same thing as spewing purely computer program generated sounds (or effectively a recording of entirely different sounds) over them.

I can at least respect the sounds a band creates live at a concert, even when electronics are used to tune how those sounds make it to the audience, and even if the result isn't always to my taste... But I have zero interest in watching a group of random people on stage pretending to play, while a recording of somebody else's performance is pumped through the speakers.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/18/22 2:50 p.m.

In reply to Driven5 :

Exactly that.

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
10/18/22 3:13 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Except that I'd wait until we know more before passing judgment on the Charger EV 'exhaust'. The patent on it leads me to believe it's a method more akin to an electric guitar or an eletric pickup on an acoustic guitar, and running it through a sound board, than it is to Guitar Hero... Otherwise it wouldn't be anything particularly novel, and Borla would likely be infringing on it right now.

11GTCS
11GTCS Dork
10/18/22 3:15 p.m.

Make believe engine sounds for the make believe mustang? Sounds about par for the course.

Also, 03 Panther wins the internet today.  LOLZ

Duke
Duke MegaDork
10/18/22 3:35 p.m.
Driven5 said:

In reply to Duke :

Except that I'd wait until we know more before passing judgment on the Charger EV 'exhaust'. The patent on it leads me to believe it's a method more akin to an electric guitar or an eletric pickup on an acoustic guitar, and running it through a sound board, than it is to Guitar Hero... Otherwise it wouldn't be anything particularly novel, and Borla would likely be infringing on it right now.

If it is non-electronic, mechanical amplification of a mechanical sound, I'm OK with it even if I may ultimately think it is silly.

The moment electrons are involved is the moment it crosses the line from silly to stupid.

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
10/18/22 6:19 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Wonder what baseball cards they use?

Damn, you beat me to it. I thought I was going to make bank by selling a kit with playing cards and some clothes line clips... geez, I'm dating myself... do the latter even still exist?

Driven5
Driven5 UberDork
10/18/22 6:38 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Why should the mechanical sounds that bring us joy from cars be any different than the mechanical sounds that bring us joy from musical instruments in that regard?

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/18/22 6:46 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Sorta related.

The post-Ian cleanup had me spending more time than usual at the curb. Honestly, the Teslas don't sound any louder/quieter than the other cars in our neighborhood at 25-ish mph.

As someone who spends no small amount of time on a road bike through suburban roads, I can say with some authority the wind and tire noise from an EV is essentially identical to that of a modern ICE car.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
10/18/22 6:49 p.m.
Turbo_Rev said:

Borla needs to figure out to soup-up EVs so they make cool high speed sci-noises, instead of admitting that they only sell products because people want their vehicle to sound fast without actually being fast. 

Insert mental image of The Jetsons flying car sound.... 

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/18/22 8:00 p.m.

EDIT: I dislike the concept and hope I never hear one in person.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
10/18/22 9:26 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:
Turbo_Rev said:

Insert mental image of The Jetsons flying car sound.... 

That's precisely what I want my EV to sound like.

67LS1
67LS1 Reader
10/19/22 1:16 a.m.

You mean they're going to do what Thor is already doing???

https://thor-tuning.com

Feels to me like a product no one wants.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IMENcfMyH5IqhiZuXZYABSJxZjDp0vgKNrEPYsIrJcikUJlOUe9k9RPrVb1JMNeb