dansxr2
dansxr2 Reader
8/31/10 9:28 p.m.

From Eastwood today It's their Concourse gun with the 1.2 and 1.4 tips. Anyone have one of these, seems like a super great gun for DIY/Hobbists as it only requires 4cfm @29psi. I bought it to paint my hardtop I got for the Capri. Hoping to have it this week and paint it either sunday evening or monday. Will post pics of results.

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-concours-gun-1-2-and-1-4-tips-plastic-andmetal-cup.html

tuna55
tuna55 HalfDork
9/1/10 7:40 a.m.

Also very curious. If you ask at a paint-specific forum, they'd say "Crazy idiot, why would you waste your time and money with that piece of crap! I never shoot with anything other than my array of 17 Iwata guns, they're only $550 each and I polish them each night with a mix of......"

So I'll bet they're wrong and I'd love you to prove it.

Cotton
Cotton HalfDork
9/1/10 11:22 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: Also very curious. If you ask at a paint-specific forum, they'd say "Crazy idiot, why would you waste your time and money with that piece of crap! I never shoot with anything other than my array of 17 Iwata guns, they're only $550 each and I polish them each night with a mix of......" So I'll bet they're wrong and I'd love you to prove it.

Well I used the cheap devilbiss startingline kit for my first paint job and it turned out pretty well, but I had to do a lot of wet sanding because I want a quality job and I want it to come out smooth. Also they have very few tips for this line, which is a limitation when shooting different types of material.

I purchased a USED Iwata LPH400 for around 270 and honestly I do feel like I wasted money on the cheap kit. The LPH400 is a 500-600 dollar gun depending on where you look, but a lot of body guys have to have the latest and greatest, so sell their old guns when they upgrade. I now use the Devilbiss guns for primer.

I'm just a hobbyist, but I could have saved myself a lot of time by starting out with the Iwata....at least now I have decent primer guns. I do not have experience with the Eastwood kit though.

Pseudosport
Pseudosport Reader
9/1/10 12:11 p.m.

How nice of a paint job are you looking for? I’ve used cheap LVLP’s and HVLP’s with good results but prep work is everything! My current favorite is the Astro Pneumatic EVO4014 LVLP for about $80.

dansxr2
dansxr2 Reader
9/1/10 3:57 p.m.

I attended an Automotive Collision Repair and Refinishing class while I lived in FL. The school had lots of nice things that alot of body shops couldn't afford as they didn't use them enough to justify the costs. We used: LPH400 Iwata's: Sata Jet's: Sharpe's: Bink's: Ect... One of my faves was a Air Gunsa with a 1.3 tip. that thing was really great for layin on clear!!! I had a set of the Harbor Freight guns and was really pleased with them other than the detail gun having plastic threads on the cup. I wanted to try the Eastwood Concourse gun because I've always heard good things from the company and the gun only uses 4cfm vs the Devilbiss ~13cfm. I'll post results as soon as it arrives.

seeker589
seeker589 Reader
9/1/10 8:06 p.m.

I envy all of you for having a place to spray.

Garages attached to houses don't lend themselves well to spraying.

dansxr2
dansxr2 Reader
9/3/10 9:49 p.m.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Arrived today. Well balanced, teflon lined aluminimum cup, plastic cup and able to use the DeKups system as an option. I'll post pics of the finished product when i have time to spray my hardtop.

dansxr2
dansxr2 Reader
9/6/10 3:59 p.m.

Painted the hardtop today as and much as it pains me to say it.... I LOVE THIS PAINTGUN!!!! LOL

The base laid down great and little orangepeel in the clear. First time spraying with it, I'll prolly paint the rest of the car to match in the not too distant future.

dansxr2
dansxr2 Reader
9/6/10 4:00 p.m.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
9/6/10 6:52 p.m.

Looks like it did a great job!

Most of the 'orange peel' comes from the reducer being the wrong temp range. I dunno exactly why, but when I painted the Jensen I was told 'get a mid temp reducer, then you can shoot anytime'. Uh, no. Not true. It did OK in hot weather, but cooler weather caused all kinds of weirdness. Lucky for me it was only a few small pieces, I was able to fix it fairly easily.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/6/10 7:11 p.m.

I have been looking at the HF variant of that gun. Looking at your work I think I am sold!!!

dansxr2
dansxr2 Reader
9/6/10 8:40 p.m.

I can't wait to paint again soon!!!

pigeon
pigeon Dork
9/6/10 10:40 p.m.

Looks good! If you're desperate for things to paint I can get my 944 prepped and there in a week or two...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vL3yT9nIIjeVN63T2nh7RcRjKUvOKW2D0Q5ol7wqosTqaAPkRvsM8IwiL1YXQ6DF