1 2 3 ... 6
boxsterbuddy
boxsterbuddy None
12/12/08 11:45 p.m.

Boxster prices have fallen below $10K. I have seen several for as low as $8000 in good running condition.

I traded my 914 track car for a Boxster and I'm amazed at how similar these cars are when you strip all the modern crap off the Boxster and add a good supension. I'm currently making it dual purpose street/track car. Pulled convertible top and stock roll bar out and replaced with aluminum hardtop and rear cage. Installed Recaros and harnesses. Installing lightweight flywheel, ripped out AC. Have a CF hood. Car weight goal is 2550 lbs at this point.

Down side. I blew motor on my first track day but found a used replacement for $3K.

Here's my new project

pres589
pres589 New Reader
12/13/08 12:19 a.m.

What's it like to work on and service these cars, especially engine items? I've never really been around them, always seemed like a neat little car, surprised what ebay is turning up on decent looking examples.

fastbmw
fastbmw New Reader
12/13/08 12:43 a.m.

Do you mind if I ask why the engine blew? I plan to turn my mom's boxster into a track toy eventually..... I'm 32 and my mom has a better track car then I do...haha.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 HalfDork
12/13/08 1:09 a.m.

thats cool, ive always been interested in having one of those for fun. What is with the red top and black bottom though?

2002maniac
2002maniac New Reader
12/13/08 2:43 a.m.

very cool! I've definitely been tempted by cheap boxters...

problemaddict
problemaddict New Reader
12/13/08 4:51 a.m.

I remember in an article or two, Tim waxing about if/when Boxters drop below 25k GRM might have to pick one up as a project car. Looks like the time is now!

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
12/13/08 5:42 a.m.

That is very, very cool. Thanks for bucking the trend!

Per

racerdave600
racerdave600 Reader
12/13/08 9:19 a.m.

I'll second the cool thing. Love the car!

Coupefan
Coupefan New Reader
12/13/08 9:40 a.m.

In reply to boxsterbuddy:

Sometimes I have to stop and think and laugh. You want to get the weight down to 2550 lbs. Isn't it amazing the difference between an older sports car and a new one? Thirty or so years ago, we would be thinking sub-2000 lbs or less as a great goal. I'm sure it will make an incredible difference. The car's handling will just 'wake up' by losing that extra bulk.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/13/08 11:00 a.m.

boxsters sub-$10k? Hooray! now I can own a porsche newer than a 944!

Volksroddin
Volksroddin HalfDork
12/13/08 6:54 p.m.

A Boxster for under $10k, hear I thought was going to look for a nice P71 next weekend.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 HalfDork
12/13/08 7:29 p.m.

I guess it depends where you are located, here in Central Florida I only found one under 10k.

MikenOH
MikenOH New Reader
12/14/08 11:11 a.m.

Having owned 2 Boxsters over the past 10 years, I can see where some of the older models might have depreciated to the point to where they are cheap enough to lend themselves as a dedicated track car. The Spec. Boxster series--with essentially the car you have-- is gaining a lot of interest , from what i hear, on the west coast.

Having said all that, I'm interested in what was behind your engine failure and what year, mileage and month of manufacture it was. The M96 engine has had more than a few problems, not the least of which have been slipped sleeves and the infamous IMS (intermediate shaft failure) --both of which result in broken engines.

A used engine is a cheap fix on these, since essentially nobody rebuilds these engines--save Jake Raby--and crate engines run roughly 12K. How does that compare with a 914 2.0L rebuild?

924guy
924guy HalfDork
12/14/08 12:02 p.m.

lots of new options coming out for the m96 now that the ma 101/102's are replacing them, just read an article on it all (either excellence or euro car, not sure which..)...but id bet it wont be long before someone makes a viable Subaru swap kit for them...

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/14/08 12:44 p.m.
924guy wrote: ...but id bet it wont be long before someone makes a viable Subaru swap kit for them...

I've done some investigation regarding a Subaru swap, but unfortunately, this car doesn't lend itself as well as some other P-cars. I believe that the Boxster starter mounts on the engine, while the Subaru starter mounts on the transmission.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT New Reader
12/14/08 12:57 p.m.

Your Boxster got the engine blues? Slap in a 996 motor. 300 HP stock and they are cheap, like 4-6K. Then supercharge...

David

JohnGalt
JohnGalt New Reader
12/14/08 6:31 p.m.
DWNSHFT wrote: Your Boxster got the engine blues? Slap in a 996 motor. 300 HP stock and they are cheap, like 4-6K. Then supercharge... David

I guess with P cars you got to pay to play

CrackMonkey
CrackMonkey Reader
12/15/08 8:45 a.m.
JohnGalt wrote: I guess with P cars you got to pay to play

Yeah, but <$10k for one with a busted engine and another $6k for a 996 powerplant, and you've got one heck of a sports car for not a whole lot of coin (relatively speaking).

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/15/08 8:59 a.m.

Very cool car. Please keep the thread updated as you develop the car.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/15/08 9:01 a.m.
DirtyBird222 wrote: What is with the red top and black bottom though?

If the market for Boxster hard tops is anything like the Miata world, you buy whatever color hard top you can, regardless of matching colors. I had a black hard top for my yellow Challenge Miata.

boxsterbuddy
boxsterbuddy New Reader
12/16/08 1:13 a.m.

Yep red Hardtop is what I could find.

Engine had 101K miles on it when it let loose on the track. Used motor I bought has 18,000 miles. Spec race series guys haven't blown many of these yet. Plenty of used motors out there now. Jake Raby does quality rebuild with new cylinder inserts, pistons, rods and all sorts of upgrades for know weaknesses of the M96. Rebuild cost is about the same as a turnkey big bore T4. I considered a 996 motor but spec car was desirable to me.

2550 lb wight of my street going car could be reduced. Most of the Spec cars are down to 2400 lbs and thats with all steel doors and hoods. Fiberglass clad Boxster race cars approach 2000lbs.

benzbaron
benzbaron New Reader
12/16/08 1:29 a.m.

Wow 2500lbs is light for a modern car. I never much liked the very first model boxster as I think I might be a able to give it a run in the benz. I still want to race an original boxster with the 170hp engine and see what an old mercedes can do. I'm sure i'd get beat in the curves though. I've run a miatas bumper before through the twisties, that was when I realized an old mercedes really handles.

Cool car and good luck!

mtn
mtn Dork
12/16/08 1:47 a.m.

I kinda like the Red Hardtop on the black body

joepaluch
joepaluch None
12/16/08 7:59 p.m.

Boxsters are not really the next 914.

Not yet anyway. Still too expensive for most right now.

The 944 is the new 914 (Cheap Porsche for racing). :)

boxsterbuddy
boxsterbuddy New Reader
12/17/08 12:26 a.m.

In reply to joepaluch:

LOL! You haven't owned a 914 for a while!

944 is a glorified 2wd Audi coupe. Great car but doesnt handle like the Boxster or 914.

1 2 3 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Erfa6E2j4aiAQbKR6emuurPeNndHQgqqjMjlTomYaMUu8wmOscwfUJSwr1fwMATi