1 2
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter)
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
6/21/22 9:33 p.m.

I need to Not Look at FB Market. I have not had time to touch a project for about two months and have four (maybe 8)  lined up that I want to get to. The good news is that my week-on, week-off work schedule should resume next month.

So, this:

Even not running, it could be good parts storage to finish getting my garage space better organized. I see lots of possibilities if I get it running. Is it a bad idea to add to my list? is $3,500 an awesome deal or stupid high for a non-running '89?

Anybody got Bread Truck experience?

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/21/22 9:36 p.m.

I want a short bread truck but I wouldn't turn that one down. 

Blunder
Blunder New Reader
6/21/22 10:16 p.m.

Are we talking about a shortbread truck or a short, bread truck? 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/21/22 10:24 p.m.
Blunder said:

"Why not both?"

Blunder
Blunder New Reader
6/21/22 10:30 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

I don't have enough dough for both.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
6/21/22 10:30 p.m.

If you have to many projects already.......how far will that $3500 go towards finishing other projects?

For God's sakes man get a hold of yourself!

Stopping looking at FB and get out in the garage.

On another note I always bounce ideas off my wife........she brings an objective opinion.

Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself
Russian Warship, Go Berkeley Yourself PowerDork
6/21/22 10:33 p.m.

I've been running a vintage step van group for about 7 or 8 years, and have owned 4 during that time.  

The step van itself isn't worth all that much, but if that 4BT/T19 combo can be coerced to run again it is just a little high on price.   Remember, getting it home may not be cheap if you aren't equipped to do it yourself. 

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/21/22 10:34 p.m.

In reply to AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) :

Around here in good running condition these are listed for a minimum of $5k and probably closer to $7k for as clean as that one looks. 

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
6/21/22 10:39 p.m.
Blunder said:

Oh man, we walked right into that one...

triumph7
triumph7 HalfDork
6/21/22 10:41 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:
Blunder said:

"Why not both?"

A short, short bread truck?

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
6/21/22 10:41 p.m.

Diesel engines, in concept, are very simple. Assuming that it wasn't run out of oil or coolant, it's all about fuel delivery. If it cranks but doesn't start, it's "probably" one or more clogged injectors, a fuel filter, or a defective high pressure fuel pump. It may be worth paying a diesel mechanic to look it over, because if it's the fuel pump, those can be expensive. Doesn't hurt to ask the seller why they're selling it, and if they have the service history; assuming it's a business, they should have it.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/21/22 10:53 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

If you have to many projects already.......how far will that $3500 go towards finishing other projects?

For God's sakes man get a hold of yourself!

Stopping looking at FB and get out in the garage.

On another note I always bounce ideas off my wife........she brings an objective opinion.

I have to be careful with that. My wife is my biggest enabler. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
6/21/22 11:28 p.m.

My wife is as well but she keeps me focused on get the most out of the resources I have.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/22/22 4:36 a.m.

Can you live in it for a few months?

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
6/22/22 6:21 a.m.

Sounds like for what you would use it for a shipping container might suffice. Or perhaps a shed. 

either way, I think it's not the droid you're looking for

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
6/22/22 7:17 a.m.

Step vans have NO insulation to speak of. Hot as ovens in the summer, freezing cold in the winter.

Grumman is a company I have no love for. You want parts? Good luck with that. They don't care about you if you aren't a fleet buyer. I had to fix a few of those in the insurance biz and they were one of the worst companies I've ever dealt with to just get parts prices. 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/22/22 8:40 a.m.

If you need a storage shed, buy or build a storage shed.

6/22/22 8:52 a.m.

I am not going to buy it. True that I have enough going on already. Even though I expect to have plenty of time for projects in the months ahead, adding more to the list before Actually having the time and getting things done is a bad idea. Thanks.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
6/22/22 8:59 a.m.

Yes, it's awesome.

Yes, your wife would kill you.  I know mine would.

Glad you have chosen to remain among the living. laugh

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/22/22 11:56 a.m.
Blunder said:

OP is kinda flakey.

thanks folks, i'll be here all week.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/22/22 12:04 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Can you live in it for a few months?

Down by the river?

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/22/22 2:34 p.m.

That drivetrain is worth the asking price even if it isn't running. Those 4BT are getting thin on the ground. 

6/22/22 3:19 p.m.
RacetruckRon said:

That drivetrain is worth the asking price even if it isn't running. Those 4BT are getting thin on the ground. 

That was an unmentioned part of my attraction to it. High torque, good mpg, 4 cyl inline diesel, pre-DEF. Before I stepped back, the seller said he's going to work on it this evening to see if he can get it running.

But my reality is that I have all the really cool projects that I can handle right now.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/22/22 3:32 p.m.

Sad to see OP hasn't risen to the challenge and bought the bread truck yet   Sounds like it would really be a recipie for spousal strife.  Shipping may be difficult but it looks like it still rolls.  Still though anyway you slice it this thread has been educational.   Give it some time for AAZCD to let the idea bake and we may still get the proof that we knead.  

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/22/22 3:37 p.m.
AAZCD-Jon (Forum Supporter) said:
RacetruckRon said:

That was an unmentioned part of my attraction to it. High torque, good mpg, 4 cyl inline diesel, pre-DEF. Before I stepped back, the seller said he's going to work on it this evening to see if he can get it running.

I am glad you came back to your senses and are getting it now.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kf8moAw2IsZqWIFpKQzHWSR06t9kH5sxA6SF7K5cKgKNRDtwYqUldhvenIyeSW41