1 2
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/21/22 8:43 a.m.

In reply to mainlandboy :

I think that's been "up and coming" for a while now.

Right now it looks to me like everyone and their canine is running/trying to run a classic car auction site. Hemmings has auctions, as does Barn Finds, as does Radwood. BaT does seem to be the top of the heap still, though.

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
6/21/22 10:10 a.m.

FWIW, Cars and Bids is run by Doug DeMuro, who also does YT car reviews.

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
6/21/22 11:02 a.m.

In reply to Tyler H :

I disagree about that because the bidders don't know there's a reserve in place, only the seller does....

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/21/22 11:21 a.m.
docwyte said:

In reply to Tyler H :

I disagree about that because the bidders don't know there's a reserve in place, only the seller does....

As far as I know it is clearly stated when there is vs when there is not a reserve.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
6/21/22 12:08 p.m.
kb58 said:

FWIW, Cars and Bids is run by Doug DeMuro, who also does YT car reviews.

Two friends of mine have completed fairly successful C&B auctions, and I'm attempting to get one up right now, so I'll share my experiences if anyone's interested.  FWIW, C&B seems to be tailed towards more modern classics, i.e. 1980's-present. 

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
6/21/22 12:08 p.m.

I thought long and hard about whether to have a reserve and reluctantly decided to have one. I just can't bring myself to put my car out there only to have someone bid $10, and no one else notices.

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
6/21/22 12:10 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Yes, it's stated when there is no reserve, but when there is one, the amount is indeed private.

BTD
BTD Reader
6/21/22 1:13 p.m.

I used to work for BaT, so I'm happy to answer whatever questions people have.

Like anything, there's pros and cons to it, and the same is true for the other marketplaces that are available. Despite some of the cons, BaT is still the biggest name in the online auction space by quite a bit, and if you have a BaT sort of car, it's likely to get more on there than anywhere else. 

With that said, I've only sold a few of my vehicles on there, for a number of reasons. Some weren't nice enough, some I wanted a quicker turnaround on, some weren't really BaT vehicles at all. If BaT is a fit for your vehicle is going to depend a lot on how much effort you want to put into things, how nice the car is, how comfortable you are with an auction and with/without a reserve, and what your timeline is. The timeline concern has become a big pressure point for a lot of people when working with BaT, so it's something worth keeping in mind. 

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
6/21/22 6:33 p.m.
BTD said:

Like anything, there's pros and cons to it, and the same is true for the other marketplaces that are available. Despite some of the cons, BaT is still the biggest name in the online auction space by quite a bit, and if you have a BaT sort of car, it's likely to get more on there than anywhere else. 

With that said, I've only sold a few of my vehicles on there, for a number of reasons. Some weren't nice enough, some I wanted a quicker turnaround on, some weren't really BaT vehicles at all. If BaT is a fit for your vehicle is going to depend a lot on how much effort you want to put into things, how nice the car is, how comfortable you are with an auction and with/without a reserve, and what your timeline is. The timeline concern has become a big pressure point for a lot of people when working with BaT, so it's something worth keeping in mind. 

PM SENT

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/21/22 7:24 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

BaT does strongly recommend against revealing what the reserve is or when it has been met. The only time you know anything about the reserve is when there isn't one. 

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
6/22/22 9:53 a.m.

Well, the auction doesn't say it has a reserve, it doesn't say when the reserve is met etc.  So basically it's hidden from buyers so someone doesn't bid just over the reserve and then stop

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/22/22 10:34 a.m.

In reply to docwyte :

I understand ... I bought and sold cars through BAT.

My point was that it is noted when there is vs when there is not a reserve. I am not saying they tell you what the reserve is.

Your statement made it sound like buyers did not know whether there is or there is not a reserve.

docwyte said:

In reply to Tyler H :

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
6/22/22 8:33 p.m.
BTD said:

What percentage of the comments are edited or deleted  ?

this has to be a full time job unless you have some kind of AI to help.

thanks for the info

BTD
BTD Reader
6/23/22 12:08 p.m.
californiamilleghia said:
BTD said:

What percentage of the comments are edited or deleted  ?

this has to be a full time job unless you have some kind of AI to help.

thanks for the info

There's at least one person who moderates/reviews comments full time, but generally speaking they tried to moderate as little as possible when I was there. I don't know the percentage of comments that get filtered, but trust me when I say the ones that don't get through are well deserving of not being posted. Those types of comments get caught before they even go live, so nobody sees them. 

As far as deleting comments, it's pretty rare. The community self moderates using the "Flag as inappropriate" that's available on every post, and it's generally been very reliable about keeping immature conversations in check. 

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
6/23/22 12:23 p.m.

I just pitched my own book in the BaT comments, but since it's about Midlana, the car being sold, I'm guessing that they'll let it ride, so to speak.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/23/22 1:36 p.m.

I own a copy :)

Since kb58 isn't doing it, here's the auction link: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2014-special-mid-engine-lotus-seven/

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
6/23/22 1:53 p.m.

Oh, thank you, I honestly thought that I'd dropped it here. I suck at self-promotion.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/23/22 1:59 p.m.

Maybe I need an open-wheeled track car... wink

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OAizGgq2GbInMDV9ZBmYRrgdQUdwk2afA6Vv7X9gSPEv5dmb9XSoBj19QonWdh55