Robert Bowen
Robert Bowen Editor
3/24/22 12:51 p.m.

[Editor's note: This article originally appeared in the November 2008 issue of Grassroots Motorsports, back when the S2000 was still on the market.]

It might not be as common as a Miata, but the Honda S2000 represents an impressive sporting achievement from a company better known to the masses for its front-wheel-drive people-movers.

Even though it first came out in …

Read the rest of the story

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/24/22 1:40 p.m.

According to Hagerty these are moving up in price. I think I am going to stick to my '06 for now.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/24/22 1:55 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

I'm not totally surprised, as it's really only a matter of time before they go way up in price–but I do feel the S2000 is deserving of a decent price.

sobe_death
sobe_death Dork
3/24/22 4:36 p.m.

I plan to keep my '04 until I can no longer get into and out of it.  Nice to know that it's turning into a little nest egg haha

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/25/22 2:19 p.m.

They have been going up since we first posted that guide. And, yeah, find me a decent one at a decent price. 

When the 2.2L came out, Honda did a press event where we drove both cars back to back. Both terrific choices. 

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/23/22 10:00 p.m.

Insane. 

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/20/22 11:50 a.m.

When we bought our last Odyssey van a S2000 was on the showroom floor. 

I sat in it and made vroom-vroom sounds.   My then wife had to drag me back into reality.   

ORIF (Forum Supporter)
ORIF (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/20/22 4:09 p.m.
jharry3 said:

When we bought our last Odyssey van a S2000 was on the showroom floor. 

I sat in it and made vroom-vroom sounds.   My then wife had to drag me back into reality.   

Same thing happened to me in Feb 2000. I was Odyssey shopping, but brought home an an S2000. My wife was a little upset nd I had to show her research from the NHTSA that a car seat could be safely used in the front of the S despite the airbag.

We have gone through 3 minivans since then, but I still have the S2000. ; )

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
5/20/22 6:10 p.m.

What other models have the 9000 rpm motor ?

probably wishful thinking.......

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/20/22 6:15 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

None.  The F20C was S2000 specific.

The original Civic Type R had a 9000rpm rev limiter with an 8400rpm redline.  These are each 100rpm higher than the 1.8l version of its engine in the Integra Type R.  185hp from a 1.6l.

There are a few Kei cars with ≥9000rpm redlines if you enjoy the idea of a 660cc engined car that makes no more than 65hp.  A lot of the newer fun ones use turbos to make a broad 65hp powerband, too.

jerel77494
jerel77494 New Reader
9/7/22 11:59 a.m.

Is there a way to easily check the valve retainers on the 2.0l engines? They crack if the engine is over-revved and run just fine until the retainer fails completely. Well known problem on S2000 forums.

IamFODI
IamFODI New Reader
11/29/22 9:56 a.m.

"Bringing 9000 RPM to the masses"

Mazda RX-8 has entered the chat

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/29/22 10:02 a.m.
IamFODI said:

Only for a brief period of time until all the compression is gone lol. 

IamFODI
IamFODI New Reader
11/29/22 11:29 a.m.
Slippery said:
IamFODI said:

More or less time than it takes to snap-oversteer into a ditch?

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/29/22 11:54 a.m.
IamFODI said:
Slippery said:
IamFODI said:

You can still hit the rev limiter while in the ditch ...

IamFODI
IamFODI New Reader
11/29/22 12:32 p.m.
Slippery said:
IamFODI said:
Slippery said:
IamFODI said:

You can still hit the rev limiter while in the ditch ...

Touché!

stealthdeburgo
stealthdeburgo New Reader
11/29/22 4:32 p.m.

I believe like B16B engines from the civic R and the Acura (B17) were in that range. A few Japanese versions also had the titanium rods as well. 

Youll probaby find that it goes along with having 5000"/min rule for average piston speeds. This is a kind of standard used in most racing, though Nascar often get up to 6000. which is amazing considering they stay close to the red line all day long.

Another great engine potential is the Mazda KLZM series V6. Cosworth designed, and the first engine block to be diecast for car production. So its very light (bare engine) the  bottom end is bullet proof, and is not hard to prep them for +300 hp. They lack VTEC, but for track cars VTEC is not needed. in fact none of any honda's racing engines ever sported VTEC. 

The only issue is oil pressure when you move the engine from its position (cant by 14 degrees) its fixable. they initially were getting close to 400 hp race trim but they changed the rules in the British super touring to 2 liter at a max of 8500 rpm, which favored the 4 cylinder engines. Harder to find these days compared to any of the honda engines. But it weight is about 80lbs less in its bare block form than either the B-series or K-series. 

IamFODI
IamFODI New Reader
11/29/22 4:40 p.m.

Don't inertial loads in the bottom end go up exponentially with RPM?  From 8000 or 8500 RPM to 9000, the difference in the forces acting on the rotating assembly could be much greater than the RPM difference suggests.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sP5PZBmvwMtjRDJBu5IjS6pnZQ62rUlJCF1B4W9ENMnLvd030a7XwdLKSoshF6M1