nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/30/21 8:36 p.m.

I was going to put this in the build thread, but it's really only tangentially related to the build and some of you may not poke your head in the build threads forum.  

So I was surfing for random Subaru 360 things the other day and saw a papercraft template for a 360.  I've wanted a 3d model of the LMP360, and I thought, well that looks simple enough (I was wrong it's complicated), so I made 2d printouts of the Sketchup model, used Paint 3D to isolate them from the background, pasted them into GIMP and cut off what I didn't need.   I did a little bit of stretching of various parts and ended up after a few prototypes with this.

Is it perfect?..  No.  Is it easy to assemble?  Compared to the real one, VERY but I still wouldn't call it simple.  Some of the fit is a little difficult, and it doesn't have the polish of a real Production paper model, but it's also a free template and an entertaining way to build your own desktop Challenge car.  

If you decide to embark upon this adventure realize that the instructions are vague and you may need to make a few adjustments.  Particularly the lengths of some of the slots may be a bit short.

I cut mine out with a Exacto knife, and just used one of my kids glue sticks to assemble.  The design should be able to look like that without any tape.  

If anyone is really good with software and would be able to make one that the body is solid white so livery designs could be attempted I would like to talk to you.  My graphic arts software abilities are weak and this basically tapped them to the max to get what I have (Seriously I had to Learn about Text to Path then Fill Stroke path..  I'm a wizard now).  

Anyway here are the PNG files below.  If you download the full resolution files they print on 8.5 x 11 landscape paper and make a model ~3x6".  I made mine on normal office paper, but think best results would come using a little thicker paper.

CURRENT VERSION IS 1.1 EDITED TO FIX GEOMETRY ON THE NOSE AND SIDE PANELS, AS WELL AS ADJUST WHEEL DIAMETERS

nocones
4/30/21 8:40 p.m.

A few more "Glamor shots" from the expensive studio space I rented...

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/30/21 9:04 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

Subaru should hire you as their next factory driver based on this(and the real one too).

nocones
4/30/21 9:57 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) :

I'd be like a strange brand ambassador for them, like a low cost Ken Block.  One the challenge is over I'm open to any type of Subaru sponsored wrap on the car.  I will also put any companies built Subaru Boxer or consider Subaru Hybrid or Electric drivetrains to keep it current.  

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
5/1/21 4:30 a.m.

This is extremely cool.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/1/21 7:59 a.m.

Like that!!! 

pirate
pirate HalfDork
5/1/21 10:11 a.m.

How would it work using a light coat of spray adhesive and attaching paper to cardboard say a gift box then cutting with Xacto knife.

nocones
5/1/21 10:41 a.m.

In reply to pirate :

I think it might work.  At some point thick/stiff materials will start to show the flaws in the templates.  There is a bit of give due to the flexibility of paper. 

I think photo paper is probably the sweet spot but cardstock (Like a gift box) would probably work. 

I may try that tonight as I want to build one more to fully validate the final design.  

nocones
5/1/21 7:33 p.m.

It worked pretty decent to bond it to a gift box.  I did cut all the gluing tabs off and just use hot glue from the inside but the template is still working despite the thicker paper.

Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/1/21 10:38 p.m.

In reply to nocones :

Next step: r/c car?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zwjJSt8qvD2QEKbCAD7VkjId84GpO7SBTrL3q3CldhGGjs0JIFKDEifDOCr1jpYB