Robert Bowen
Robert Bowen Editor
8/4/22 12:32 p.m.

[Editor's Note: This article originally appeared in the November 2006 issue of Grassroots Motorsports.]

Building a car from scratch—from the wheels up—is not for the faint of heart. Still, some people relish the challenge. They find inspiration in that blank sheet of paper. To them, there’s nothing better than saying “to hell with the rules” and bolting together whatever parts …

Read the rest of the story

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
8/4/22 12:42 p.m.

Thank you, and the highlight of my Kimini ownership was seeing her on the front cover of GRM. Today, Kimini is alive and well with its current owner, in Texas. After selling Kimini, the funds went into creating Midlana, a mid-engine "Seven", which will be on BaT in a few weeks.

A huge thank you to GRM for the honor!

te72
te72 HalfDork
8/5/22 3:06 p.m.

In reply to kb58 :

Kurt, you're making the motoring world a more interesting place. If I had the time to devote to the craft, I'd only hope to be able to do the same. Seeing how long it took to build Kimini does help put my Supra project in perspective, and I appreciate that.

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
8/5/22 3:20 p.m.

http://godsavetheclown.com/

The Clown's RWD Minissan was pretty good too.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
8/5/22 3:25 p.m.
racerfink said:

http://godsavetheclown.com/

The Clown's RWD Minissan was pretty good too.

What ever happend to Mike Guido?  Havent seen him on here in years.

Loved following both Kimini and Midlana builds, cant wait to see whats next.

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
8/5/22 3:57 p.m.

Last I talked with him was when I stayed at his house during Hurricane Irma. Gave up book of false faces about a year and a half ago, so I don't know if he still runs his Mini USA parts business.

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
8/5/22 4:10 p.m.
te72 said:

In reply to kb58 :

Kurt, you're making the motoring world a more interesting place. If I had the time to devote to the craft, I'd only hope to be able to do the same. Seeing how long it took to build Kimini does help put my Supra project in perspective, and I appreciate that.

A sincere thank you. I feel that if the books accomplish anything, it's to show that it really can be done. One Midlana currently in construction is a father-son team. That meant a lot to me.

te72
te72 HalfDork
8/6/22 1:10 a.m.

In reply to kb58 :

Oh I'm an example of what can be done with time, patience, prayer, the best tools a young man can afford on a ramen budget, and the desire to see a dream come to fruition. Between the Supra, the Exocet, and the ramp truck I'm currently constructing... yeah. I've been blessed. 20 years ago I think is when I cross threaded a spark plug install on my first car trying to "tune it up" haha. I've come a ways. =P

Leaving documentation to help those who want to follow your trail? That's excellent. I make the occasional video, more for posterity's sake than anything. Showing the mudane side of it would take HOURS to document. Days, likely. I'm more likely to just put that time into you know, building other stuff.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YoxbVs5XrgmIEcPGFVQ6KoePdChWMXCuqA9Gc9FeXdv36UsAmfunJ4EetKt6M7S1