1 2
JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
4/16/21 10:53 a.m.

Here’s a cool tip that we learned from an online MR2 community: late-model Porsche GT3 front brake ducts don't cost much and can be adapted to a wide variety of cars.

How cheap? Well, we got a set from FCP Euro for less than $12, plus shipping. You’ll need one for the right and one for the left.

Just …

This content is available for GRM+ members and Grassroots Motorsports magazine subscribers only.

You can read it for free in 52 days or subscribe to GRM+ to read right now.

Subscribe now

Already a member?

Login to read

Read the rest of the story

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/16/21 2:50 p.m.

Now that is really cool!!!!  like you said I would maybe consider augmenting the attachment with some zip-ties but that is a great tip!!!  Wonder if I can make them work on a 951.

Fitzauto
Fitzauto Dork
4/16/21 4:22 p.m.

Just ordered up a set for my AE86. For $12 hard to go wrong. (Plus I can say I have fancy Porsche parts on my car)

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/16/21 4:35 p.m.

After a little more research I found that these are an upgrade for my 987.1 Cayman and can be modified for the Cayman rear brakes. $34 shipped.

You are all such enablers...

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
4/16/21 7:15 p.m.

I remember having to buy a non-gt3 one for my boxster to replace a mangled one and it was more expensive than a pair of gt3 ducts.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/16/21 7:35 p.m.
dps214 said:

I remember having to buy a non-gt3 one for my boxster to replace a mangled one and it was more expensive than a pair of gt3 ducts.

Sort of related, but when I had to replace a tie rod end on my 911, the Turbo piece cost a tick less–and that's the one that offers tighter handling. So that's when I did the upgrade. 

Error404
Error404 Reader
4/16/21 10:07 p.m.

Yes! I have a pair of these on my MkV GTI from when I was tracking it, pre-mustang. They clip right onto the control arms for a FSI engined car. Not the TSI, though, since the control arms have a wider cross-section. They hung down a fair bit into the airstream and made a noticeable difference in brake fade at Roebling Road.

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/17/21 6:59 a.m.

I do not have a use for these yet as I am back into autoX, but I will order a set just to have JIC for that price

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Reader
4/17/21 7:27 a.m.

Dang you...more money spent!

Mine will arrive next week, plenty of time to put on for my VIR track day!

Cool tip, one Ive not heard about, must be spread on the facebook boards or something

I'll post a link on the OC

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 HalfDork
4/17/21 8:32 p.m.

And in true Pcar fashion, these will go NLA and become worth 3,245 bucks a piece 4 years from now. Buy a hundred and pay for your kid's college (or tech school).

sobe_death
sobe_death Dork
4/17/21 11:44 p.m.

In reply to Olemiss540 :

LOL I was thinking the same thing adding them to the cart.  I mean, 5 sets just to get to the free shipping...

preach (fs)
preach (fs) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/18/21 1:46 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:
dps214 said:

Sort of related, but when I had to replace a tie rod end on my 911, the Turbo piece cost a tick less–and that's the one that offers tighter handling. So that's when I did the upgrade. 

*sigh*

The Cayman has one tie rod end that needs to be replaced soon...might as well get both if the turbo ones fit the 987.

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/19/21 6:16 a.m.

Another option is the Audi RS3 front brake deflectors. They are a little large vertically and have OEM zip ties to secure them to the control arms. They work well on just about anything with a front control arm.

slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
1/18/22 10:48 a.m.

Bought a pair for my projects..

Back in Stock for Cheap @ FCP Euro Thanks GRM!

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/18/22 11:12 a.m.

Nice. Nothing like a cheap upgrade. I ordered 2 pair incase 1 set breaks. At $33 to the door, it's nothing. Should fit the New BRZ just fine. 

BLRB
BLRB GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/18/22 12:24 p.m.

Also got 2 sets to try out.  GRM should get a commission for these.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/18/22 1:58 p.m.

The RS3 ducts look like a good option for cars where the front of the control arms are going straight across the car or angled forward toward the wheels, may get some of these for my AE92. Planning to put a set of GT3 ducts on my 86.

slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
1/20/22 10:25 a.m.

Boom!

And they have arrived at my door in under 48 Hrs... I did not even spring for the fast shipping.  It helps that I am somewhat Northeast.

Off to the garage to start figuring things out.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/20/22 10:46 a.m.

Awesome. Glad to hear that JG's tip is helping out. 

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/20/22 10:57 a.m.

Don't forget the Cayman GT4 rear diffusers, too!

slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
1/20/22 11:35 a.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Thanks! I will hafta look into those as well!

sobe_death
sobe_death Dork
1/20/22 11:49 a.m.

In reply to Javelin :

Those came as well!  A little more expensive than the fronts, but still cheap for ordering from the Porsche dealer!

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass HalfDork
1/20/22 12:18 p.m.

Well dangit...AGAIN. I need to install these still, but, hell, why not order another set (or two!) for later. Just cause. Also, dont tell the fiance. 

slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
1/20/22 1:13 p.m.

In reply to Javelin :

So I guess the Rear Diffusers are really more Like Rear Brake Cooling Air Deflectors?   When I think Diffuser I think of the Big Wide Aero bits at the low down rear of Modern Road Performance Track day car.

I hafta think about how I would adapt them on a soild axle Car - Probably need to make some sort of mounting plate then make use of the already included mounting holes in the part.

calteg
calteg Dork
1/20/22 1:13 p.m.

$20 shipped. Guess we'll see if they fit the miata

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zRtSTxQblIFDoM0CM9VXQHUgqY7BBMoaxxVfZulpkPrNVUXZXLFOkzB8gjYLjG6F