1 2
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/18/20 5:24 p.m.

With them being cheep new (60K starting) now and GM will hopefully make a tone of these things I am thinking that down the road (3-5 years) the C8 will become the go to platform for future mid engine kit cars.  I can see these being re bodied as a testarossa or a 458 or a 488 or there are several Lambos that would have potential.  I also envision places like Factory Five getting in to the bluishness of re bodying these instead of all the R&D needed to build this kind of car from scratch.      

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/18/20 5:29 p.m.

I think if anything it will be the opposite - people will be offering kits to make other cars look like a C8.

dean1484
6/18/20 5:51 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

I think if anything it will be the opposite - people will be offering kits to make other cars look like a C8.

I don't think so as they are so cheep to start out with you just purchase a depreciated one for less than it costs to make a clone of one and no work involved.  So you would spend 20-30K to make a clone of a car that you can purchase new for 60? And in 3-5 years if GM pumps these out to meet the demand the used market on these will make these 30-40K cars.  I don't see your logic unless you are just trolling and if so then ok.   

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/19/20 1:39 a.m.

I want a Fiero body kit for the C8. 

I want to blow minds.

dean1484
6/19/20 7:47 a.m.
Appleseed said:

I want a Fiero body kit for the C8. 

I want to blow minds.

A 1.25 scale Fiero. That would be really cool. 

dean1484
6/19/20 7:50 a.m.

Wonder if you could put a Factory Five GTM body on a C8. 

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
6/19/20 8:05 a.m.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/19/20 8:31 a.m.
dean1484 said:
stuart in mn said:

I don't think so as they are so cheep to start out with you just purchase a depreciated one for less than it costs to make a clone of one and no work involved.  So you would spend 20-30K to make a clone of a car that you can purchase new for 60? And in 3-5 years if GM pumps these out to meet the demand the used market on these will make these 30-40K cars.  I don't see your logic unless you are just trolling and if so then ok.   

And I don't see people turning $40k cars that just got out of the factory warranty into kit cars. 

Has there ever been a legitimate kit car developed for something so new? $60k is "cheep" (sic) now? 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/19/20 10:19 a.m.

Since it's the new kid on the block and has been highly anticipated, that's why I said it's more likely you'll see attempts at C8 kit cars.  Also, because they're going to be hard to get for some time.  This is from the Detroit Free Press a day or two ago:

Some Corvette fans awaiting the arrival of their pre-ordered mid-engine 2020 Stingrays will likely be disappointed.

"We are not going to build all of the 2020 orders," GM spokesman Kevin Kelly said, adding that GM would work with affected customers and dealers to offer a 2021 option.

Blame it on the coronavirus pandemic causing GM to shut down its U.S. plants for nearly seven weeks. Then, there are subsequent parts supplier complications too, Kelly said. The complexity of ramping up production prevents GM from even guessing how many of the sports cars it will be able to build this year.

GM had 20,181 orders through May 1, Kelly said. In the first quarter, the company reported selling 3,820 Corvettes. Kelly said most were the new 2020 model. 

When they are finally available for sale I would anticipate there will be some hefty 'dealer price adjustments' to that $60k base price (and for that matter, how many base price Corvettes do you think there will actually be?)  I would also anticipate they aren't going to depreciate very fast either, so used C8s won't be going for bargain prices anytime soon.

D2W
D2W Dork
6/19/20 10:19 a.m.

I think there is no doubt the power train will become the main use in existing mid-engine kit cars. Affordable transaxles that will hold up to big power are hard to come by and expensive, think Porsche. A rebody on the existing chassis is interesting, but what would it be? Ferrari comes after anyone hard who copies them. Lambo's are an option, but pretty played out. If they could put a Muira body on it I would be all over that, but the proportions are probably not right. The biggest problem is the fit and finish will never be as good, and the car won't look as good as the C8 does now.

dean1484
6/19/20 12:54 p.m.
z31maniac said:
dean1484 said:
stuart in mn said:

And I don't see people turning $40k cars that just got out of the factory warranty into kit cars. 

Has there ever been a legitimate kit car developed for something so new? $60k is "cheep" (sic) now? 

I am looking 5 years out and hopefully GM makes a ton of them. Wrecked ones I hope get as cheep as wrecked c6 or C5 cars would make things really interesting. 60k is cheep for what you are getting performance wise. Have you looked at the used 458 or 488 market?  As for looks I would have no problem chopping up a new C8. They look nice but not my favorite looking car out there. But in five years when hopefully wrecked ones are plentiful you can get the driveline and chassis cheep is my point. I also wonder if the 60k price point will lead to more of them getting totaled due to the repair costs getting to the total amount easier. 

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
6/19/20 1:23 p.m.

I'm with him. I think it will be a wonderful donor for everything in ten years.

Here's mine:

See the source image

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/19/20 2:29 p.m.
dean1484 said:
z31maniac said:
dean1484 said:
stuart in mn said:

I am looking 5 years out and hopefully GM makes a ton of them. Wrecked ones I hope get as cheep as wrecked c6 or C5 cars would make things really interesting. 60k is cheep for what you are getting performance wise. Have you looked at the used 458 or 488 market?  As for looks I would have no problem chopping up a new C8. They look nice but not my favorite looking car out there. But in five years when hopefully wrecked ones are plentiful you can get the driveline and chassis cheep is my point. I also wonder if the 60k price point will lead to more of them getting totaled due to the repair costs getting to the total amount easier. 

Has there ever been a kit car developed based on a chassis that is still in production? I'm sure in 5 years they will still be producing the C8 and there still won't be a kit car for it.

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
6/19/20 2:35 p.m.
NickD said:

What does it say about me that I like this almost as much as the real C8?

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/19/20 2:38 p.m.
z31maniac said:
dean1484 said:
z31maniac said:
dean1484 said:
stuart in mn said:

Has there ever been a kit car developed based on a chassis that is still in production? I'm sure in 5 years they will still be producing the C8 and there still won't be a kit car for it.

For sure.

You could buy a body at a dealer for the 87 and 88 Fiero

Pontiac Mera

wspohn
wspohn Dork
6/19/20 2:44 p.m.

There has already been one Corvette kit car. They called it an XLR and was done on a C6 chassis.

Can't see anyone wanting to replace the body on a new C8, but then I have underestimated the levels to which bad taste can go before. 

dean1484
6/19/20 6:58 p.m.

Ohhh I never claimed to have good taste. 

laugh

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/19/20 8:05 p.m.

Forget kits, I just want to see what Alfa can do, think 8C

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/19/20 8:55 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

Since it's the new kid on the block and has been highly anticipated, that's why I said it's more likely you'll see attempts at C8 kit cars.  Also, because they're going to be hard to get for some time.  This is from the Detroit Free Press a day or two ago:

Some Corvette fans awaiting the arrival of their pre-ordered mid-engine 2020 Stingrays will likely be disappointed.

"We are not going to build all of the 2020 orders," GM spokesman Kevin Kelly said, adding that GM would work with affected customers and dealers to offer a 2021 option.

Blame it on the coronavirus pandemic causing GM to shut down its U.S. plants for nearly seven weeks. Then, there are subsequent parts supplier complications too, Kelly said. The complexity of ramping up production prevents GM from even guessing how many of the sports cars it will be able to build this year.

GM had 20,181 orders through May 1, Kelly said. In the first quarter, the company reported selling 3,820 Corvettes. Kelly said most were the new 2020 model. 

When they are finally available for sale I would anticipate there will be some hefty 'dealer price adjustments' to that $60k base price (and for that matter, how many base price Corvettes do you think there will actually be?)  I would also anticipate they aren't going to depreciate very fast either, so used C8s won't be going for bargain prices anytime soon.

This may be true, but eventually production will catch up to demand and then prices will drop. 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/19/20 10:39 p.m.

that dash and center console are what needs to be thrown out and replaced 

Peabody
Peabody UltimaDork
6/20/20 6:35 a.m.

In reply to wspohn :

I thought it was based on the C5 as it predates the C6. 

Has there ever been a kit car developed based on a chassis that is still in production?

There was this obscure little car called the Volkswagen that may have had a kit car or two developed while it was still in production 

dean1484
6/21/20 5:23 p.m.

I was looking up the XLR and it was from 04-09 so that would be a C5. It is interesting to note that it never got a LS motor. They were all powered by Cadillac Northstar moters.  I did not know that. 

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/21/20 5:42 p.m.

Super-charged Northstar at that.

I would like to see kit bodies for the C8. Not Ferrari and Lamborghini knock off, but unique styles. Look at the Cyber car thread for ideas.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
6/21/20 6:48 p.m.

Renault-Alpine A110 replica body used to rebuild a crashed C8? 

wspohn
wspohn Dork
6/22/20 12:07 p.m.

On the XLR, chassis, see https://www.xlr-net.com/forums/cadillac-xlr-technical-discussion/8247-xlr-c5-or-c6-corvette.html

Apparently there is still a fan base out there for the XLR. 

So maybe C5/6 chassis?  But really both the XLR and C6 seem to have been based on modified C5 chassis.

I went in to a GM dealer to help my wife negotiate a Pontiac minivan purchase in the late 2000 and the salesman was touting the XLR as being built like a Ferrari. I went over and pushed on some of the thin plastic shrouding surrounding the Northstar engine and it went 'wugga-wugga'.   I said to the salesman "I bet you've never had a close look at a Ferrari, have you?"

For a price of $110,000 or so in 2007 or so, I couldn't figure out what the target market was for the car.  Owners pretending it was  a Corvette up t the golf club?  Who knows.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bAtkrtLA45VU5rD3hhnEbDy56mUnZuap4eFxqO6CMNzGHdFt0mWLmLunBwkXtW7L