6/22/20 12:43 p.m.
Appleseed said:

I want a Fiero body kit for the C8. 

I want to blow minds.

Would probably look like an imsa fiero

Red5
Red5 New Reader
6/23/20 6:55 a.m.

I want a C8 race car.  SCCA T1-LP, or GT2.  I wonder how the gearbox will hold up to 30 minute sprint races?  Many heat exchangers will be required.  I bet you can get it down to a pretty reasonable weight once you strip out all the creature comforts.  I still would like to see a factory built race car along the lines of the Boss 302S and/or the FP350.     

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/23/20 7:39 a.m.
Red5 said:

I want a C8 race car.  SCCA T1-LP, or GT2.  I wonder how the gearbox will hold up to 30 minute sprint races?  Many heat exchangers will be required.  I bet you can get it down to a pretty reasonable weight once you strip out all the creature comforts.  I still would like to see a factory built race car along the lines of the Boss 302S and/or the FP350.     

They have already built a GTLM race car. It doesn't use the 8 spd DCT, it uses a 6 speed Xtrac sequential.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
6/23/20 7:57 a.m.
NickD said:

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/23/20 8:06 a.m.
z31maniac said:
Red5 said:

They have already built a GTLM race car. It doesn't use the 8 spd DCT, it uses a 6 speed Xtrac sequential.

That might have to do with GTLM being a 24 hour racing class, which the DCT might not be able to handle.  A 30 min race might be less abusive. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/23/20 8:15 a.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:
z31maniac said:
Red5 said:

That might have to do with GTLM being a 24 hour racing class, which the DCT might not be able to handle.  A 30 min race might be less abusive. 

Even the MX-5 Cup cars use a 6-speed sequential. 

I suspect it's cheaper and easier to just use an actual racing gearbox, than to spend the money reengineering a production, street car gearbox to handle the abuse.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/23/20 8:40 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

No disagreement for a pro race team.  But for a club racer doing a few races a year, maybe the OE DCT can hold up?  Time will tell, I suppose.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/23/20 8:47 a.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

The DCTs are fairly robust. To the point, that people are starting to swap in the DCT from the 135/M3 into other vehicles. 

There is a Miata now running a crazy amount of power through a 135 DCT and the shift speed and holding power are just insane. 

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
6/23/20 12:29 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:
z31maniac said:
Red5 said:

It's due to the rules they are allowed maximum of 6 speeds and not allowed electronically controlled clutch. The clutch is only used to get out of the pits or a stop so otherwise it's just a semi automatic.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
6/23/20 12:33 p.m.

Porsches gt4 cayman race cars due use a pdk.

Red5
Red5 New Reader
6/24/20 8:15 a.m.

SCCA club racing allows the Mustang to race the 10 speed automatic.  Gearbox aside, they can't make them fast enough for me!  Flood the market GM!  Just the thought of racing a mid-engine, V8 powered car makes me happy. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8jI8wzPrDJEJc7Dhg7JtjlrRTtx9lRkNgkGZW3he5jZIy9oz69ubQdD0woZFSBVZ