1 2 3 4
secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/26/19 5:42 p.m.
RJStanford said:
secretariata said:

From the photos, I don't like the barrier between the driver and passenger. Maybe it isn't as bad in person?

Its to keep you more focused on the next apex and less aware of the leg of whoever's sitting next to you ;) 

I'm a big boy, let me deal with that problem on my own without imposing GM's morality on me.  ;)

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
7/26/19 5:53 p.m.

Just because you're asking for posterity even though I'm largely ambivalent about this or other corvettes:

- It looks fine

- I'm sure the performance is excellent

- I don't care where the engine is, since see previous comment

- I'd still buy one of a few dozen other things (new or used) if I had $60k in my pocket for a "fun car." Corvettes are fine, just not my personal style or interest. 

- No manual transmission in a "fun car" = I would not buy it, regardless of brand, model, etc. Yeah I know PDK and automatics these days are better for straight performance, but when I want to go have fun driving, I want three pedals. Save the comments about "living in the past" or "people bitching about how people bitch about things," if I spend $60k on a car, it'll be a car that has the things I like (and what *you* like is irrelevant to my wallet).  So you say "well, can't get much with a real manual transmission these days." And I'll say 1) get back to me when you can't get ANYTHING fun with a Manual and 2) when that happens, I'll buy something old and spend $60k to make it awesome. 

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/26/19 5:58 p.m.

I like it, but would rather have an LS swapped Flyin Miata.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/26/19 6:01 p.m.

From what I've read on various other forums, the like/dislike posts are mainly a split between traditionalists and people who are more acceptable to change.

I saw one post where someone said, "That's not a Corvette, this is a Corvette" accompanied by a picture of a 1978 Indy pace car replica, which was possibly one of the worst Corvettes of all time.  smiley

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
7/26/19 6:03 p.m.
RJStanford said:

Its to keep you more focused on the next apex and less aware of the leg of whoever's sitting next to you ;) 

If you're in a corvette:

a) you've been married to the person sitting next to you for like 35 years, and her legs don't look as great as they once did

b) you're divorced, bald, overweight, and spend your mornings at cars and coffee while wearing a Corvette-logo polo shirt. When you go on a date with a woman you're going to take your daily driver Lexus or BMW crossover, which is way more comfortable to her - and she doesn't care about your "exotic" car, because this isn't the 80s and you're not Richard Gere.. 

c) you put a bunch of suspension goodies into the car and a louder exhaust and have it all badassed out, and your woman would much rather take her luxury crossover if you are going someplace together, because "it's too low" or "it's too loud." Or maybe this is just my wife. frown

d) you bought it to take to VIR and the Glen for trackday weekends, and your woman will never go with you, because those are the weekends she spends with the poolboy. Plus, you need that seat for your helmet.

e) it's a legit track/race car and it doesn't have a passenger seat anyhow. 

#generalizingdon'ttakethispostseriously

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/26/19 6:10 p.m.
wheelsmithy said:

I like it, but would rather have an LS swapped Flyin Miata.

I like this guy!

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/26/19 6:39 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

I saw one post where someone said, "That's not a Corvette, this is a Corvette" accompanied by a picture of a 1978 Indy pace car replica, which was possibly one of the worst Corvettes of all time.  smiley

Right there up to '83 are the Corvettes I imprinted on and to me they will always be, not the best Corvettes, and not my favorite Corvettes, but the most Corvette Corvettes, reason be damned.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
7/26/19 6:57 p.m.

I am not a Corvette guy, what ever that means. I don't think they are bad cars......just not for me. I have driven them and they were great performers but just too big or something. I think Chevy has hit a home run with the new Corvette, especially at that price point. A thoroughly modern sports car for $60K. Amazing. Would I buy one? Probably not, but I sure am glad Chevrolet kept it around, invested money in it and took it to another level.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/26/19 7:01 p.m.

In reply to irish44j :

The most non-automotive-related fun I had in a car was in my piece of E36 M3 82 Cutlass with a bench seat. 

Also, there is no “leg” in “hand-whammy,” so who cares?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/26/19 7:16 p.m.

I hope it depreciates like a corvette. 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/26/19 8:42 p.m.
poopshovel again said:

That's rookie talk. Remind me to show you a couple things the next time I see you.

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/26/19 11:46 p.m.

I think it's a game changer.  Causing me to re-assess my brand loyalty.  (997 C4S)  May have to buy one in a year after the markups and price gouging are over.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/27/19 12:07 a.m.

A week later, I'm still less likely to buy one than I would be if there was a manual available. :)

As for the "brand" thing, that's so they can come out with a "Corvette" crossover SUV in a couple years.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/27/19 6:16 a.m.

I like it.   Although I'm not sure if I like to the point where I'd buy one over other things I could spend that sort of money on. The lack of 3 pedals used to bother me. Now, not so much. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/27/19 6:45 a.m.
NOT A TA said:

When did "Corvette" change from a model to a brand? Every time I hear or read "Corvette brand" the past few weeks I keep wondering.

"Brand" means "name" in marketingese, not manufacturer.

The F-150 brand, the Miata brand, etc.

It differentiates something people buy for what it is, instead of something people buy as a fungible commodity.

Knurled.
7/27/19 6:50 a.m.
D2W said:

1) I think it is awesome. A true mid engine supercar for 60K? Are you kidding me. 

Adjusted for inflation in both dollars and horsepower, that also described the MR2 Turbo and the original NSX, no?

Knurled.
7/27/19 6:54 a.m.
Ransom said:
stuart in mn said:

Right there up to '83 are the Corvettes I imprinted on and to me they will always be, not the best Corvettes, and not my favorite Corvettes, but the most Corvette Corvettes, reason be damned.

The best music in the world is what I was listening to when I was 15 and all this new stuff sucks, too smiley

It's weird to think what modern 16 year olds will get nostalgic for.  OTOH, I never owned a car with "fenders" in the sense that if you removed them it'd be an open wheel car.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/27/19 7:05 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:
poopshovel again said:

That's rookie talk. Remind me to show you a couple things the next time I see you.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/27/19 10:01 a.m.

If Chevrolet says it's a Corvette,  it's a Corvette.  They should know, they build it.  Now wether you like it or not is a different story.  Everyone is entitled to an opinion.  Nuff' said.

And on a different level, Google Corvette boat..

Let me save you some time.

Corvette boat

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Dork
7/27/19 10:35 a.m.

Playing with the online configurator reveals the trim accents can be made body-colored. IMO, it really tidies up the car’s lines. Subtle on dark colors, striking on, say, red. 

D2W
D2W HalfDork
7/27/19 10:48 a.m.
Knurled. said:
D2W said:

1) I think it is awesome. A true mid engine supercar for 60K? Are you kidding me. 

Adjusted for inflation in both dollars and horsepower, that also described the MR2 Turbo and the original NSX, no?

NSX was $60K in 1991, that's $112K in todays dollars. With 270 hp. So half the hp for twice the money. I will agree that at the time it had the same effect on the supercar market that I expect the C8 to have.

I wouldn't call the MR2 turbo a supercar or anywhere in the same league as the new C8. 

PS I like them both.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/27/19 10:51 a.m.
Argo1 said:

I think it's a game changer.  Causing me to re-assess my brand loyalty.  (997 C4S)  May have to buy one in a year after the markups and price gouging are over.

As someone who has owned a lot of Mustangs, quite a few Miatas, a few Corvettes and has a few Porsche’s, I assure Porsche’s age much better.  A domestic car has an awesome V8, but the rest of the far disintegrates around it and you.  A Porsche holds up really well.

A domestic car is like that hot hollywood starlet that ages horribly.  A Porsche is Jennifer Anniston and stays hot.  A Miata is old faithful.  She’s the one that was kinda hot when young but had a few flaws, but she maintains herself well and looks great after 20 years.  

Corvettes are hot for a few years, but they go down hill fast.  

Knurled.
7/27/19 12:17 p.m.

In reply to D2W :

Huh, I thought the NSX was a $40k car.  Live and learn.

I know Mister Twos got up into the $70k range before Toyota mercy-killed it.  Yen got too strong for our market.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/27/19 12:40 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

I would’ve guessed that no MR2 stickered for over $30k. Color me surprised. 

te72
te72 Reader
7/27/19 1:30 p.m.
Knurled. said:

I know Mister Twos got up into the $70k range before Toyota mercy-killed it.  Yen got too strong for our market.

Err... adjusted for inflation? I was still pretty young in 1995, so I wasn't paying much attention back then. Considering that the Supra never hit $70k back then, but high 40's, low 50's, I have a really hard time seeing an MR2 of any sort being that expensive. If we're talking about inflation, then sure, I can see it.

As for the Vette... I'm a Supra guy at heart, have been for a long time now. Considering the garage makeup over the years, I'm very much a Toyota guy. However, there's no way I'd even consider the new Supra when the C8:

-looks that good

-performs that good

-is in the same price bracket

-sounds that good

-has a total of zero BMW parts (although GM has its own reputation)

-is the first new car to make me consider buying it rather than what I could do with a similar amount of money in a used car

Sooooo... yeah. I'm highly interested. The next couple years will determine if my first new car ever is a C8.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LgDouSsAZl6wgNAAEL5vsrNyzVb6qCqKBmoerevHRBd1KsDhdGVvbghhUm0aIdej