1 2 3 4 ... 7
Samebutdifferent
Samebutdifferent New Reader
7/17/19 9:00 a.m.

I expect the initial version will be a slight performance upgrade from the current C7 base model yet priced to be with in the reach of the typical Corvette buyer to encourage trade ups.  The first year will sell out quickly because - first year.  We will see higher performance versions sooner than later so as to not make the same mistake as the Fiero and to keep people interested.  Interior will continue to be a disappointment because that's where you can spend a lot of money and it quickly escalates out of control cost wise with no performance gain.

What I would like to see is a real difference between performance and a luxury interiors.  Take a cue from the other manufactures and offer up a "real" light weight, track focused interior option when the higher performance versions come out.  The inside should match the out side in terms of fit for purpose ad there should be a notable weight savings to boot.  If a true luxury interior is offered, it should be very well appointed to silence the pundits.  I doubt we will see either of those options however.

Much has been speculated on the power train but chances are it will be an upgraded version of the current v8 tuned to around 470-485hp (Just a guess on my part).  Subsequent performance versions will be fun to watch as the power plant of choice will no doubt change to something quite a bit different.

Which brings us to the question, what about the Camaro?  Rumors are rampant about discontinuing the Camaro again.  It's no secret the latest version of the Camaro are nearly as good as the Corvette which I'm sure irritates Corvette owners to no end.  However, I would think the people who really want a lower cost, front engine, rear wheel drive sports car would naturally consider the Camaro now that the two are totally different platforms.  I believe GM is waiting to see sales numbers and how people react to the new Corvette before making the call on the fate of the Camaro.

For over 50 years, the Camaro and Corvette have played in roughly the same space and this change is long overdue.  My hope is they spend the money to get it right and address the short comings which have plagued the Corvette for years; interiors, workmanship, ride, handling, etc. and finally put all that to rest.  Wishful thinking?  I think so, but at least they will have the mid engine monkey off their back and can focus on the next set of complaints.

And to echo the others, everyone will have an opinion and not everyone will be happy with the 8th generation for one reason or another.  Lets see if they can get closer to hitting the mark this time.

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/17/19 9:05 a.m.

What about the suspension?  Seems like it might be time for something a bit more mainstream than transverse leaf springs. 

After reading about JG tearing apart his vette and totally redoing the suspension in coil-overs, it seems like the stock system is a bit dated and non-tunable.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/17/19 9:15 a.m.

Yeah, good point about the Camaro: Does a mid-engined Corvette give the Camaro a renewed future? 

Samebutdifferent
7/17/19 9:30 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I think so.  The Mustang continues to do well and I believe it's because the exclusive mid engine GT makes this the only option for most Ford people.  The mid engine Corvette will not have that level of exclusivity but it will direct customers to the Camaro for different reasons.  Discontinuing the Camaro simply hands Ford and Dodge those customers.  So, I have a hard time believing GM with discontinue the Camaro for that reason.

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/17/19 9:36 a.m.

IMO Chevrolet should have gone mid-engine 25 years or 30 years ago.     

And I will never own one mostly because I think all that power is a waste on the street and a temptation that would no doubt get me arrested for reckless operation/speeding again. 

Once, in 1979, in my very fast 65 Mustang, was enough.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/17/19 9:48 a.m.

The idea of having track and luxury interior options is a good one. Want a luxury interior? Pay for it so everyone else doesn't have to. Don't? Well it's light and cheap so quityerbitchin.

The composite leafs aren't tunable but they are also light and cheap...perhaps having bolt-on shock tower options would allow lower-end models to have the leafs with lighter shock towers and higher-end models to have coilovers with the beefy shock towers required. That would also make the car more repairable and give GM a factory upgrade option to sell (maybe CF shock towers for the ZR1?).

Samebutdifferent
7/17/19 10:37 a.m.

In reply to TVR Scott :

Given the new platform, I would think the suspension will be completely new and more in line with what we have seen in other the mid engine cars.  Hopefully this will include some ability to tune to personal preferences or conditions but I have a feeling that will be electronically controlled with a limited number of settings to choose from.  Now, if they offered the ability to mix and match various elements such as steering feel and suspension settings, that would be nice.

Samebutdifferent
7/17/19 10:45 a.m.

In reply to jharry3 :

I fully agree and based on the historical evidence, it is clear that would have happened if other, more compelling events hadn't occurred at just the wrong time.

We will look back on this event as one of the most significant events in the long history of the Corvette and possibly other vehicles with in the GM stable.  It's a bold move but one that is long over due.  I just hope people view it as such and fully embrace the change.  But there will be those who will complain...

David S. Wallens
7/17/19 12:18 p.m.

And I'm reading about the forthcoming mid-engined Corvette while eating lunch.

David S. Wallens
7/17/19 12:29 p.m.

And a few related thoughts about the Camaro:

Would Chevy kill their NASCAR contender?

And what do we think about the Camaro's current face?

David S. Wallens
7/17/19 12:30 p.m.

Although looks like the Camaro will get a new nose for 2020. From their media site:

The new Camaro SS front-end appearance is based on the distinctive design of the Camaro Shock show vehicle that debuted last fall at the SEMA Show. The SS now features a repositioned bowtie emblem in the upper grille and a body-color bar between the upper and lower grilles.

“Customers spoke, and we listened,” said Steve Majoros, director of Chevrolet passenger car and crossover marketing. “The overwhelmingly positive reaction to the Shock’s stylized design helped prompt its transition from concept to production.”

Torkel
Torkel Reader
7/17/19 12:39 p.m.

Remember folks: now day, the gear heads of Europe are not at all as cold towards the Corvette as they used to be. You see them on track days and in racing series all the time. Sure, the snobby folks that buy brand new Porsches and Ferraris might not think much of them, but they are mostly not really interested in ANY sports car in truth, but rather something to look cool in (end rant).

I think (and hope) this is a car that makes the car manufacturers of Europe nervous. I think this will perform in line with the best of them, both in a straight line and around a road course, but still be in significantly cheaper. Sure, it will still be too expensive for the average Joe, but cheap enough for us to start thinking: "When it is 4 or 5 years old, maaayybe?"

I also think it will come with an interior full of cheap, rattling plastic parts that doesn't really fit together. It takes years, years and more years for a car manufacturer to grow the knowledge base and skills needed to put together an interior in the class of Volvo or BMW and since GM obviously didn't have it figured out 2018... But that is OK, because this one will be bought by enthusiasts looking for a strong performing drivers car, not just a penis extension to transport anorectic models in.

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/17/19 12:51 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

What I think I'm going to see is a base car that is priced to compete with the GT4 Cayman at 95k instead of the base Cayman at 55k. 

That's a big one in a nutshell, isn't it? Is it going to be a (relatively) affordable mid-engine exotic that they can sell a bunch of, opening that type of car up to folks who think it's neat but never had that chance? Or will they feel the need to pursue the premium/halo/prestige/exclusivity angle that becomes available with that configuration? Apart from the higher margins, will they decide that in order to actually capture the prestige that they can't price it in line with front-engine Corvettes without damaging the cachet?

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/17/19 12:54 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

I'm behind on NASCAR rules, but is there nothing else that GM could plug into that void? And I'd have to guess that NASCAR would be willing to shuffle rules a bit to keep them around if they axe the Camaro. Wouldn't they?

David S. Wallens
7/17/19 1:04 p.m.
Ransom said:
David S. Wallens said:

I'm behind on NASCAR rules, but is there nothing else that GM could plug into that void? And I'd have to guess that NASCAR would be willing to shuffle rules a bit to keep them around if they axe the Camaro. Wouldn't they?

I'm just thinking more about the marketing. After years of racing cars "based" on unforgettable front-drive sedans, NASCAR finally features enthusiast cars across the board: Camaro v Mustang v Supra. Will that be a one-year-only thing? 

Samebutdifferent
7/17/19 1:14 p.m.

In reply to Torkel :

To quote my wife when she sees someone driving a really expensive sports car or a big lifted truck, "Sorry about your penis".

MB, BMW, Volvo and others all have wonderful interiors that create a very desirable driving experience.  The sound of the door closing, the lack of loose plastic flapping about while you are driving are all things that create a  very satisfying experience.  That feel you get when you sit behind the wheel for the first time is important and can not be augmented with digital gadgets and shouldn't be compromised by ergonomic atrocities (Read power window switch and impossibly low roof line for getting into the Pontiac Solstice GXP for example).  But I digress...

This thread is about what we expect and has also morphed into what we would like to see (which is a good thing).  I for one am trying to keep my expectations low to simply give GM the time it needs to refine a new platform.  Through our comments and arm chair assessments, we can influence design choices (See Camaro dialog above) for the better.  This feed back can also backfire as in "Careful what you ask for because you just might get it". (See latest Chevy HD pickups - Design based on user feed back, Really???)

Let's hope for a reasonably priced, mid engine layout with enough power to induce the required giggles and enough quality control to keep the mandatory plastic bits from detracting our focus from the glorious sounds behind out head.  I for one am tired of the constant quality complaints so this is the time to address it head on IMHO.

Rant over...

Samebutdifferent
7/17/19 1:21 p.m.

When the front wheel drive cars were thrown into the mix, I completely lost interest and haven't been back sense.  I was however happy to see the pony cars back front and center.  But it is after all just the skin anymore.  The underlining tube chassis is still the same more or less.  Wow, have I gotten cynical...

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/17/19 1:52 p.m.
Samebutdifferent said:

When the front wheel drive cars were thrown into the mix, I completely lost interest and haven't been back sense.  I was however happy to see the pony cars back front and center.  But it is after all just the skin anymore.  The underlining tube chassis is still the same more or less.  Wow, have I gotten cynical...

You're right. I mean, honestly, if they drop the Camero name they could slap Silvarado stickers on the body that NASCAR gives them. What would it matter? Frankly, as a Mustang fan, I hate seeing the name on nascar stuff.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
7/17/19 3:25 p.m.
Brett_Murphy said:
Mike said:

That it finally is a total package, with a combination of the long-haul comfort it has been lacking with the sort of performance that will finally make Stuttgart and even Modena wake up and take notice.

The folks in Europe will never take notice of the Corvette because it's a Corvette. No matter how good it gets, it will never have the cachet of a European brand in Europe. 

Same thing with the Viper even though it mops the floor with them dollar for dollar. 

Personal Opinion. 

87K base Well optioned around 96K.  

No manual in the first year.   

~640HP give or take.   

Big imporvment in interior that is inline with the price.   

BIg dollar one coming called the Zora. 

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
7/17/19 4:30 p.m.

I expect the engine/transaxle to be transverse mounted. I expect that to upset people. 

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/17/19 4:35 p.m.

I've been on record for thinking that the configuration change is a bad idea, but since GM hasn't made me product development head, I guess that I'll have to grapple with reality.....

I want it to be a raging bloody success, but I expect things to go poorly. They'll screw up a few things that create poor word-of-mouth. The early adopters will be into it, and sales will be OK until it's found that traditional Corvette owners don't like it, while the Foreign car crowd looks down their noses at it. 

Boy do I hope that I'm wrong

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
7/17/19 5:47 p.m.

I hear they have a flat bottomed steering wheel...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/17/19 5:52 p.m.

Look no further than our own C8 Steering Wheel thread to see how the rest of it will go. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/17/19 5:58 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

And what do we think about the Camaro's current face?

That front end reminds me of the new hideous Silverado. 

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
7/17/19 5:59 p.m.

On a serious note, I know a guy who is really really excited about it, enough so that he’s talking about selling his Viper to get one.

I’ve also heard the dual clutch trans shifts absurdly quick.

Even all camouflaged they look pretty wicked going down the road. It’s fun living near the proving grounds.

1 2 3 4 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jc0ByQBLcoaIzUCmNPtt04qpO7IPe1E5slbZirnxgGXfXGvSjcOwNNy8soRse3Rh