1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/17/19 6:03 p.m.

I expect haters, doubters, and dreamers.

So far, you shiny happy people have not disappointed.

I also expect you’ll be able to drive 5 miles to find parts/service for one. 5 EXCRUCIATING, MISERABLE MILES, PLAGUED WITH DEAFENING SQUEAKS AND RATTLES NOT FOUND IN ANY INHERENTLY SUPERIOR EUROPEAN PRODUCT THAT COSTS 3X AS MUCH.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/17/19 6:32 p.m.

I'm really going in with almost no expectations. Since the C5, Corvettes have been fairly universally good from a performance perspective, if a little lacking in refinement and sophistication. but, honestly, refinement and sophistication don't matter to me as much as lap times when I think about Corvettes. I kind of perceive them as less of a product and more of a palette to paint your own final perfect product with. Hopefully the C8 continues that tradition. Personally, i kind of feel like the C5 and C6 is the sweet spot for Corvettes at the moment as they offer a lot of performance for relatively little money and complexity. 

I guess ultimately I care less about any new Corvette being "world class" as I do about it being fast and gnarly. Or at least having the potential to be fast and gnarly. 

And you guys will probably get a better look at it on the live feed than I will at the event. If I get close enough I'll go live, so keep an eye on GRM Facebook. If it gets boring I'll just streak it or something.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/17/19 6:48 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

This is the “BMW” version of the words my “GM” fingers were trying to type.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/17/19 7:49 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

If it gets boring I'll just streak it or something.

I'm now completely unsure if I should tune into the Facebook feed or not. wink

Samebutdifferent
Samebutdifferent New Reader
7/17/19 7:50 p.m.
poopshovel again said:

^^^  Personally, I have no problem with that...  I mean seriously, how can you argue with that logic?

But then again, I'm part of the dreamer crowd...  Tempered expectations but still hopeful.  

te72
te72 Reader
7/17/19 11:42 p.m.

Ok, so I have an NB Miata that I tend to daily. It is a really fun car to play around in, and downright quick around the cones or out in the mountains and canyons. Is it comfortable? Not especially. Is it well built? Eh... it's not a turd, if I'm being polite.

My point is, if you love the performance and styling, but wish it had a nicer interior, save up the $10-20k, take it to a high end custom upholstery shop, and go nuts. The things I've seen in Hot Rod over the years, I only wish my Supra project had such a nice interior...

akamcfly
akamcfly Dork
7/18/19 4:50 a.m.

I have a soft spot in my heart (or is it the top of my head?) for the C4 thanks to this forum. That soft spot makes the C8 virtually irrelevant to me. However I'm looking forward to the reveal because I just want to see it. Rip the band-aid off already, hype monkeys!

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/18/19 9:30 a.m.

Today is the day right? After whatever live streaming of Fbook that I won't see, hopefully someone will update this thread with some pics.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/18/19 9:43 a.m.

It's telling that we now have a three page thread on this car's reveal and it hasn't even been revealed yet. I can't remember any other car that's caused that much discussion on it's reveal. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/18/19 9:46 a.m.

I just realized that the big reveal is for some reason at 11pm. I guess I'll see the pics tomorrow. I don't care nearly enough to tune in that late at night.

I just hope the actual wheels are not flattened on the bottoms like the steering wheel.wink

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/18/19 10:06 a.m.

Wouldn't it be great if the made it look like a Fiero? 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/18/19 10:08 a.m.
Stampie said:

It's telling that we now have a three page thread on this car's reveal and it hasn't even been revealed yet. I can't remember any other car that's caused that much discussion on it's reveal. 

The Zupra?

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
7/18/19 10:12 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

This is the second time you've raised that possibility. Now I'm wondering if this event is going to be the most unforgettable car introduction so far this century for all the wrong reasons.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/18/19 10:24 a.m.
MadScientistMatt said:
JG Pasterjak said:

This is the second time you've raised that possibility. Now I'm wondering if this event is going to be the most unforgettable car introduction so far this century for all the wrong reasons.

We'll know what's gonna happen if we see him start the live stream in that robe from the Supra episode.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
7/18/19 10:26 a.m.
T.J. said:

I just hope the actual wheels are not flattened on the bottoms like the steering wheel.wink

They will just have to steal them from the last gen Silverado.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
7/18/19 11:24 a.m.

What do i expect? I expect another hideously ugly design. I expect to see another case where the ‘designers’ don’t know when they are done designing. 

Current GM styling is the equivalent of typing in all caps. 

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
7/18/19 11:41 a.m.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/18/19 11:42 a.m.

I expect Mahk to give me the honest opinion.

bumpsteer
bumpsteer New Reader
7/18/19 11:45 a.m.

Having seen the mules running around town a lot more lately, I am really hoping that the car has some really good camo hiding some sexy lines. I am also hoping that the base car comes in around C7 Z06 pricing and performance, so that it does not break the chain of trickle-down vettenomics by being too expensive for C7 owners to upgrade. 

However I expect none of my hopes to be realized. It'll probably be a $90-100k starting price for the base car, with performance variants nearing $200k. This car will follow 911 pricing, not 718 pricing.  I'd expect somewhere around 3450lb and 480hp for the base car.  It'll have a very busy, none-too-attractive design (my grandfather, an avid Corvette fan, already thinks the C7 has "too much crap going on with the body." I expect this car to be even more busy.), with an interior no better than the C7, and the DCT will be the only transmission offered at all. In 2016 less than a quarter of all Corvettes sold had a clutch pedal. It's all about profit and emissions cert with a new transmission after the dev costs of the DCT is not going to fly with the penny-pinchers. I also fully expect some of them to catch fire in true "midengine sports car" fashion. 

An interesting note is that of the cars I've seen on the road, some have relatively tiny brakes behind those 20" wheels and some have pie-plates filling up those same wheels and less camo covering the front inlets, which leads me to think that we might get a base and a Z51 at launch. 

ebelements
ebelements New Reader
7/18/19 12:08 p.m.

I'm sure it'll be $100k because I just recently decided that  around my 40th I'm going to find a reasonable lease on a manual vette (which actually exist somehow) and see if I can year round daily it.  Or maybe I won't and I'll use the C8 as an excuse. Whatever. To be honest, I find profound joy that GM is breaking their own rules and building something wild in a time when it makes more sense to funnel all that development money into building an actual high-quality CUV/SUV.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
7/18/19 12:20 p.m.

I expect it to look like an American Ferrari. And not necessarily in a  good way 

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
7/18/19 1:06 p.m.

I'd kind of be surprised if pricing is announced tonight, as reveals are usually a bit guarded with specific details while laying the hype on thick. However, I'd also be surprised if the base car ends up being much more than $70k. A base price increase to $70k would be a 27% price jump. Much more than that starts to price out a lot of people. I've read multiple reports from within GM that claim it would be affordable to current Corvette buyers.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/18/19 2:11 p.m.

I am hoping it comes out to rave reviews, sells super well and it makes all the C5's and C6 GS even cheaper. This is what I expect/hope for. 

GM needs this car to do well or they're "in trouble" this is a solid profit center and brand loyalty and they need a solid boost from it with camaro sales in the trash and the new Silverado sales falling short of expectations.  

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/18/19 2:22 p.m.
poopshovel again said:

I know it's a Taledega Nights reference and I should really try and have a sense of humor, but misquoting historical figures always bugs me.

Samebutdifferent
Samebutdifferent New Reader
7/18/19 2:38 p.m.

You mean to tell me Eleanor Roosevelt isn't the bad ass I thought she was...  Now I'm crushed. 

Next you're going to tell me you can't believe everything you read on the internet... 

WHAT!?  That's true too?  surprise

At least the new Supra doesn't use BMW parts...

1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8jxlqWUeVPHVFUj2l2azFmc3RGtQG8RjCNrT9hCBRqowDZjQvlc7WPGVFRVavgPr