1 ... 3 4 5 6 7
T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/19/19 9:09 a.m.

I need to see one in real life to know how I feel. The exterior reminds me more of a camaro than a vette. That row of switches is very odd. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
7/19/19 9:18 a.m.

I like it more than I thought I would. It's certainly causing a lot of "Corvette People" to get their Jorts in a twist!

Thoughts:
-Mid-engine is something they have been trying to do since the 70's, so I don't have an issue with it. They have been building them with front engines since 1953, so if you want one like that, there are plenty of examples out there.

-The interior feels like something out of a late 80's concept car, especially with that weird divider strip with all the buttons. I'll have to sit in one to see if it makes sense.

-The price is astounding if it offers the performance they say it does. There WILL be "Adjusted Market Value" markups driving these things well above $100k for a while, but that goes for any car like this.

-The lack of a real manual is unfortunate for people (like me) that like to row their own, but like any high HP performance car with a good, modern slushbox, a few seconds behind the wheel will probably make you forget that. The last few high HP cars with automatics I've driven have been excellent, so I'd expect no less from this.

-You can get them in metallic brown! WOULD YOU JUST LOOK AT IT!!!!

I hope it does well. Can't wait to see one on the streets.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/19/19 9:19 a.m.

Metallic brown does look pretty sweet. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/19/19 10:01 a.m.

The side view from down low, looks very reminiscent of a Ferrari to me, but when seen from a higher point of view it looks a lot like a modern Camaro.

I like it in brown.

This seems like it will be a great bang for the buck car.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/19/19 10:03 a.m.

That brown would be awesome with some gold accents. Maybe paint the intake surrounds gold?

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
7/19/19 10:28 a.m.
Kreb said:

In reply to red_stapler :

So those 20 buttons are for the passenger? If so, I retract that part of my indignation cheeky 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/19/19 10:47 a.m.

Wait, that's really the interior?  E36 M3, I thought you guys were joking!  That will go down in history as one of those bizarre, what-were-they-thinking dash layouts like an early 80s Citreon concept car.  I honestly thought somebody was having a laugh.

EDIT: Also, it's now heavier than my Mustang....Interesting.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
7/19/19 10:51 a.m.

I know the row of buttons is a little odd,  but I definitely prefer that over doing everything through a touch screen.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/19/19 10:53 a.m.

Jay Leno is currently doing a livestream on book of faces https://www.facebook.com/jaylenosgarage/videos/2336327453112828/

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/19/19 10:54 a.m.
Cotton said:

I know the row of buttons is a little odd,  but I definitely prefer that over doing everything through a touch screen.

You know, I initially felt that way, but my F150 has buttons for HVAC control, about the same size as those, and mounted low on the stack. I've daily'ed the truck for 8 months and I still have a hard time figuring out what button does what while driving. I feel like the larger touch-targets on the higher mounted display are much easier to use. This came as a surprise to me.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf SuperDork
7/19/19 11:04 a.m.

It's gorgeous in that brown from that angle.  No manual is a bummer, but not surprising.  I could see them doing a manual in a future Z06 type model as a more hardcore offering for the enthusiasts.  

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
7/19/19 12:01 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

I'm just going to quote this because this color with no rear spoiler is absolutely gorgeous.

David S. Wallens
7/19/19 12:21 p.m.

Yeah, the buttons. In college I had a phone (like, one with a cord) that lined up the buttons: * 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 #

It was novel at first but quickly got annoying. On the other hand, you don't really dial up your HVAC. Want the seats warmer? Beep, press a button. It's been interesting watching companies shed buttons (Volvo) while others embrace them (Hyundai). 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/19/19 12:36 p.m.

The one element I keep disliking is the black accent on the venting for the engine. 

David S. Wallens
7/19/19 2:27 p.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

The one element I keep disliking is the black accent on the venting for the engine. 

The thing on the side? I'm afraid it might be too much body color otherwise. Someone should fire up Photoshop. (Wait, I have Photoshop.)

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
7/19/19 2:31 p.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

It's also available in body colour

David S. Wallens
7/19/19 2:34 p.m.
G_Body_Man said:
Brett_Murphy said:

It's also available in body colour

There you go. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
7/19/19 3:28 p.m.

Ok, I know I went nuts over the brown one, but this is what I really want.

DO IT, GM. DO IT NEEEEOOOOOOWWWWW!!!!!

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/19 3:36 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

Mid-engine?  Check.

Sawblades?  Check.

Teal?  Eh, close enough.

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
7/19/19 3:39 p.m.
Tony Sestito said:

I like it more than I thought I would. It's certainly causing a lot of "Corvette People" to get their Jorts in a twist!

Thoughts:
-Mid-engine is something they have been trying to do since the 70's, so I don't have an issue with it. They have been building them with front engines since 1953, so if you want one like that, there are plenty of examples out there.

-The interior feels like something out of a late 80's concept car, especially with that weird divider strip with all the buttons. I'll have to sit in one to see if it makes sense.

-The price is astounding if it offers the performance they say it does. There WILL be "Adjusted Market Value" markups driving these things well above $100k for a while, but that goes for any car like this.

-The lack of a real manual is unfortunate for people (like me) that like to row their own, but like any high HP performance car with a good, modern slushbox, a few seconds behind the wheel will probably make you forget that. The last few high HP cars with automatics I've driven have been excellent, so I'd expect no less from this.

Good gravy would you look at that! I've never wanted a new Corvette more than I do now. 

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
7/19/19 3:54 p.m.

The spoiler delete is a definite improvement.  That profile reminds me of an F430.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/19/19 5:50 p.m.

GM's previous experience with mid engine cars are the Corvair and the Fiero. I'm really hoping that they pulled a first-gen Volt and put all of the pedantic, obsessive, edge-case engineers on the job. 

OTOH, my personalized plate goal for this is FIERO2M4.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/19/19 5:59 p.m.

I just realized the Evija and C8 seem to claim similar, if non-specific 0-60 performance. The Lotus costs a little more than thirty Corvettes.

Edit: misspelling.

Dave M
Dave M Reader
7/19/19 6:01 p.m.

In reply to Jordan Rimpela :

I love that brown one. A lot. A lot lot. Maybe enough to go get a real job so I can afford one? Maybe....

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/19/19 6:01 p.m.
Mike said:

GM's previous experience with mid engine cars are the Corvair and the Fiero. I'm really hoping that they pulled a first-gen Volt and put all of the pedantic, obsessive, edge-case engineers on the job. 

OTOH, my personalized plate goal for this is FIERO2M4.

Shouldn't this be a 2M8?

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3zL0HCK4LwXAVsIR78Tj2h63ASTFhg217HaYKKizIOpWPIUuBSiPCVUz3MwEXqvr