Will
Will UltraDork
5/4/21 4:42 p.m.

I'm seriously considering a ~2015 ATS as my new DD. I'm thinking 2.0 turbo RWD, and while I'd prefer a manual, I can live with an auto. 

Anyone have any experience with them? Big American cars are kind of my happy place (past & current cars have included multiple T-Birds, a Camaro and a CTS-V) and I just love the looks of these.

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/4/21 7:31 p.m.

I owned a '14 for a year (2.0T, AT, AWD, Base model). The turbo has good power, but the sounds it makes are very industrial. This is probably the only case where an artificial soundtrack would help!  

GM autos are pretty good, it's not super sporty, though. Handling and braking are both excellent, and the car soaks up the miles easily. The controls are annoying because everything is a touch screen.  Things like switching from full warm to full cold take forever compared to a knob, but I know a lot of modern cars suffer from this issue.

I sold it after a year, I was too paranoid owning a new car (I need mine pre-dented), and I never really fell in love with it. I'd definitely recommend driving a manual and an auto, and I would try the V6, as well.

Will
Will UltraDork
5/5/21 7:20 a.m.

Thanks. I know they're not super common, but if anyone else has experience with these cars, please let met know.

I know it shares the 2.0 with the Camaro, but how much of the rest of the platform is shared (if any)?

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
5/5/21 7:53 a.m.

Everything is interchangeable, hard parts wise.  The ATS-V and 1LE have chassis bracing that, according to the engineer I talked to at a Cadillac V Lab event, will bolt up on any Alpha chassis

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
5/6/21 9:16 p.m.

Neighbor has one. Great looking car and sounds nice 

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
5/6/21 11:10 p.m.

My advice is to get a CTS instead.  I owned both at the same time and the double A arm suspension vs. strut was night and day in handling and on rough roads.  The ATS was lighter and therefore a little peppier but just wasn't as planted.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/7/21 1:23 a.m.

In another recent GRM thread I linked to a Cadillac ATS on autotrader.com that is wearing Bridgestone RE-71s

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/7/21 10:18 a.m.

The only experience I've had with anything similar was an SRX.

I would rate it somewhere between soul-sucking and garbage.  Terrible handling, awful seats, a V6 that sounded like it was falling apart, and the transmission.... dear GOD that awful transmission.  The "sport" mode made the stick into a suggestion box.  You would tap for a downshift.  The computer reads your suggestion, ponders if it is a good choice, monitors speed, pedal position, g-forces of the wind in Mongolia, lights a pipe in a leather wingback chair, pours a cognac, submits it to a committee, double checks its legality with the supreme court, and then denies your request.  In normal mode, it was equally terrible.  You decide to pass a car and go to 3/4 throttle, then change your mind and take your foot off the pedal.  THEN it shifts to 2nd after you've already returned to normal and holds it there for a few seconds.  It's like the shifts are commanded exactly one step after they're supposed to and then delayed another 2 seconds for good measure.

I don't know if this translates to the ATS.  It may be wonderful, but if it shares any of the pedigree of the SRX, I would skip it.  The SRX felt like they took a random CUV and threw a terrible concoction of interior bits at it hoping that no one would notice how awful they are, then completely botched the transmission programming.  The suspension felt like something that had a decent design, but then they under-sprung it and over damped it.

It was my mother's car.  It was designed exactly for her demographic - someone who puts it in D and pushes the pedal with no idea of what is going on under the hood.  It had a cadillac badge, leather seats, and must be great "because cadillac," but I found it to be totally worthless with luxo bits that made no sense and failed frequently in really annoying ways.

/rant.  Sorry to be a downer, but I hated that car.  Put some real seat time in that ATS to make sure I'm wrong.

Vajingo
Vajingo HalfDork
5/7/21 10:24 a.m.

In reply to Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) :

The honesty is super appreciated man. GRm honesty Is why many of us stay here

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
5/7/21 3:05 p.m.

The SRX is on a different chassis than the ATS.

The ATS is on Alpha platform (think 2016 and up Camaro). The 1st gen SRX was on the Sigma platform (1st Gen CTS-V). The 2nd gen SRX is FWD based and on the Theta premium platform (think gussied up Equinox).

We own a 2014 ATS, 2L turbo, LSD, brembos, and manual. It makes for an outstanding DD. As dj06482 indicated, the engine does make some interesting sounds. It pulls pretty good down low and returns excellent mileage. I liked it so much, I considered getting a ATS coupe. My inner Bimmer boi won the fight and I got a 228i instead. The only negatives I can think of is CUE and the dashboard look. I'm not particularly fond of CUE as it is bit slow and it wigged out so bad, we needed a replacement (under warranty). The dashboard design is not pretty. While it gives you all the information you need, it is not nice to look at. I'm not sure about the auto transmission as I've never tried one equipped in the Alpha chassis.

The was one of the cars I didn't have buyer's remorse. If you can find one to test drive, do it.

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/7/21 4:19 p.m.

In reply to Strike_Zero :

Its good to know there are differences.  I knew they were a different platform, but also knew they came from the same gene pool... kinda like a G body and an X body are different platforms, but given the fact that they were given the same DNA from GM they kinda perform the same.  

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/7/21 5:31 p.m.

Look up ATS battery replacement".  It is silly what they make you go through.  Then think how that same design mentality might apply to other aspects of the same car.

vsquaredbyrho
vsquaredbyrho New Reader
5/7/21 5:33 p.m.

I seriously looked at ATSes recently. ATS forum postings indicate areas to check:

• Rear differential seal leaks. Some think that the vent tube clogs and pressure pushes oil past the seals.
  • CUE screens can fail, but a DIY replacement is possible and much cheaper than OEM.
  • Check the sticker in the trunk with the option codes to verify specific options. For example, I found a trim that was supposed to have the FE3 magnetic adaptive suspension actually had the FE2 option.
  • Some early issues with piston rings due to lugging the engine in high gear.

Finding a manual transmission is difficult if you care about features and options. There just aren't many out there. It's a great driving chassis. I would have loved to autocross one.

Will
Will UltraDork
5/7/21 9:14 p.m.

Thanks, all. Going to take a look at a couple tomorrow. Perhaps should have mentioned I'm only interested in the coupe, which reduces the selection quite a bit. Only found one manual in my searches and it has way more miles than I want.

dj06482 (Forum Supporter)
dj06482 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/7/21 9:47 p.m.

Oh, and the '15 got a substantial 14% torque boost for the 2.0T over the 2014 model year.

Will
Will UltraDork
5/9/21 9:50 a.m.

Drove two ATS coupes yesterday. Both were 2.0/8-speed auto cars. Engine is fine for what I want the car to be but I'm not sure I like the transmission. I passed on both (one was a lemon law buyback, one was rougher than I wanted), but like the platform enough to keep searching for the right one.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
5/9/21 8:06 p.m.

I'll say this again - GET THE CTS INSTEAD  a much better car!

I just drove a friends ATS and it confirms all my memories the CTS is a far superior car

Will
Will UltraDork
5/10/21 7:14 a.m.

Which generation CTS? I had an 05 CTS-V. I drove a second-gen CTS as a dealer loaner and it's not really on my want list.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
5/10/21 7:35 a.m.

I've driven a lot of ATSs (I'm a GM tech) and don't really get the love. They drive just okay.

The CUE screen will crack/delaminate. Not a matter of if, just a matter of one.

Battery changes suck, they buried them in the trunk.

If it still has the original run-flats and you have them replaced, your tire guy may hate you (between the runflat construction and the fact that they are stretched from the factory, they are a bastard to change)

The 2.0T has a brake vacuum pump driven off the back of the exhaust camshaft and that pump sometimes catastrophically fails internally. Its not super common but I have seen it enough to know its not a freak occurrence either. Best case scenario is you replace the pump and you're on your way again. Worst case scenario, it breaks the tangs off the exhaust camshaft and fills the engine with metal shavings and you need a whole new engine. They're not bad to change on FWD applications, but RWD applications means they are butted up against the firewall and tucked under the wiper cowl and changing one will make you want to punch babies.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
r2rcDbtkrfVSDFDr1yvSTPFkr6YZpMqbm6P1xfdF0wrI0AiLlnxDHz9f1LgxaRa0