1 2
Cotton
Cotton Dork
11/11/10 8:43 a.m.

I like them.....we bought an 03 Mach 1 to DD and I looked hard at the GTOs, but they were bringing quite a bit more money at the time for similar condition/miles.

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
11/11/10 8:45 a.m.
Strike_Zero wrote: Was it an anonymous car . . . yea . . . did it dust off just about everything on the street . . . yea . . .

Just like the '64.

M030
M030 HalfDork
11/11/10 8:59 a.m.
integraguy wrote: That's about as accurate as saying the 1st gen. Camaro was the same as the mid-late '60s Malibu.

I read that the first gen Camaro had a lot of parts commonality with the '69-'74 Novas.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/11/10 9:15 a.m.

I so want a G8, but 14mpg is a bit low. I promise to ride my bike for local errands to offset it!

AutoXR
AutoXR Reader
11/11/10 10:06 a.m.

The more I read about GTO's the more I have decided its a good replacement for my SiR. As for the mileage lots of guys report mid to high 20's with 6spd GTO's and speaking from experience C5 automatic vette will get 30 mpg on the highway - so it seems plausible.

• I love LS1's
Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Reader
11/11/10 10:54 a.m.

In reply to RossD:

Dealership snobbery around here is pretty bad . . . it's amazing what they try to get you buy when show up in a military uniform.

The electric seat motor DID suck in the GTO . . .

RandyS
RandyS Reader
11/11/10 12:42 p.m.

Yes, highway milage is good.

Around town is awful. No matter how I drove on my daily commute in Atlanta I got 13-14. Once I tried to get the absolute best milage I could - I short shifted everywhere and kepts the rpms as low as I dare. I got 15.1 but it turned an already bad driving experience even worse. Hated that car.

Zomby woof
Zomby woof Dork
11/11/10 4:18 p.m.
M030 wrote: I read that the first gen Camaro had a lot of parts commonality with the '69-'74 Novas.

Same platform.

Also used for the Cadillac Seville

fastmiata
fastmiata Reader
11/11/10 5:26 p.m.

My GTO gets 18-20 in DD mode(9 miles in mixed driving) Better brake pads and the updated front bushing kit help the driving experience(the kit adds adj caster to the equation). The major thing that I have changed were the 18" wheels because I didnt care for the look with the stock wheels. It has a better stance now.
Most normal people have no idea what the car is about but I only get challenged on the road by other GTO's and Vette's. Mustangs, Camaros and Challengers wont even try. "I know what a GTO looks like from the rear" is what I am told by the locals. You gotta love that and all for $13,500.

novaderrik
novaderrik HalfDork
11/12/10 5:19 a.m.
Strike_Zero wrote: The car sales fiasco was more the dealers fault than anything. Wanna test drive one . . . you had to have your credited pulled, drive up in a nice looking possible trade, front a LARGE down payment, and look older than 30. Wanna deal one that has been sitting there for months . . .eh no. Wanna used one after GM officially stopped importing them . . . no deal!! Some dealership had new one's still marked in 30s. As soon as the discounts were in affect for the 04s, dealers sold a LARGE number them. The 05/06 models came out and peeps still whined about the styling (even though it had scoops and rear split exit exhaust But again the dealers held on to them like they were gold and contributed to hurting the sales. Was it an anonymous car . . . yea . . . did it dust off just about everything on the street . . . yea . . .

this is what i saw where i was- a lot of people wanted to buy a GTO, but they weren't allowed to take one for a test drive and were scared away by the extra $$$ that dealers tacked on because they were "rare". they were trying to get over $40k for a car with a sticker price of something like $30k- that's Corvette money..

i got yelled at for having the audacity to open the driver's side door on one that was sitting in a showroom- maybe it was because i pulled up in my multi colored 71 Nova and was wearing my usual worn out jeans and either a Metallica or Slayer t shirt.

i started seeing them all over the place once the dealers got over themselves and decided that they would rather sell the car at or below sticker than have it collect dust in their showrooms for years.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/12/10 10:15 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: That either explains the weight and handling prowess of the Camaro (as based upon many mag and TV tests) or it means the GTO was seriously underrated as a good car. In either case that's interesting. I'd have never guessed it

Sit in a Camaro. The interior layout and sheer bulk of it all screams GTO.

Actually, it's like a truck version of a GTO. The front corners are very prominent. Between the tall, flat, wide nose and the slitlike windshield, it drove like I imagine a tank would drive.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/12/10 10:20 p.m.
Zomby woof wrote:
M030 wrote: I read that the first gen Camaro had a lot of parts commonality with the '69-'74 Novas.
Same platform. Also used for the Cadillac Seville

You both are thinking of the second-generation F-body, not the first. Or maybe I'm thinking of later Novas.

Either way, GM whored that chassis out a lot, like Ford did with the Falcon-Mustang-Maverick-Granada...

novaderrik
novaderrik HalfDork
11/13/10 12:28 a.m.
Knurled wrote:
Zomby woof wrote:
Same platform. Also used for the Cadillac Seville
You both are thinking of the second-generation F-body, not the first. Or maybe I'm thinking of later Novas. Either way, GM whored that chassis out a lot, like Ford did with the Falcon-Mustang-Maverick-Granada...

the 67-69 Camaro are pretty much the same car as a 68-74 Nova, with the Nova being bigger and lighter.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 SuperDork
11/13/10 7:52 a.m.
RandyS wrote: In reply to novaderrik: >>GM sold every GTO that they built and imported to the USA over it's intended 3 year production run. they never intended to sell 200,000 of them every year- i think they shipped 50,000 over each year and every one of them sold Closer to 18,000 in '04 and they had a very hard time selling them. Depends on what you define as sell I guess. At the end of 2004 there were still several thousand unsold GTOs. Pontiac put on a fire sale down to $22k from $32k in November 2004. That is when I got mine. There were still hundreds sitting on dealer lots well into the 2005 year and a few into the 2006 year. Yes, they eventually sold, but not like hot cakes. the 05 and 06 import numbers were something like 12,000 and 9,000 iirc. I will be the lone dissenter. I hated my GTO. Went like stink in a strait line but it was heavy, had numb brakes, numb steering feel, lots of wheel hop, seats seemingly made of some kind of elephant hide, regularly hit my head on the A pillar, styling that was way too thick in the rear quarters and only could get 275 rear tires in the wheel wells (whcih wasn't enough for the power) . Sold it after 4 years and picked up a used E36 M3. It's slower in a strait line but I am much happier with the daily driving experience. My bad GTO experience is what is keeping me from even looking at a Camaro.

If you are hitting your head on the A-pillar of any car while driving you have issues with your seating position or the way you get in and out of the car. That's totally your fault :)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uTSvTQ7yAM5UAJGrDEmDb8uvSwRVD7CMLmOskP4bkBmPdTkWvvmIp7zTpu3yDdaW