1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/8/22 3:53 p.m.

Performance tires have traditionally traded speed for comfort. After all, does a little hum on the highway matter when you’re clipping apexes?

But we noticed something while driving on the Maxxis Victra VR-1: For a 200tw tire that has performed well in our track tests, it’s still rather quiet and civil around town. So we asked questions–like what causes a …

This content is available for GRM+ members and Grassroots Motorsports magazine subscribers only.

You can read it for free in 113 days or subscribe to GRM+ to read right now.

Subscribe now

Already a member?

Login to read

Read the rest of the story

msterbeau
msterbeau New Reader
6/10/22 2:46 p.m.

Civilized?  Pffft...  

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
6/10/22 5:44 p.m.

If you are running 200tw tires, tire noise is the least of your problems. 

Thought it is nice to know that you can run them to and from an event and not be droned out of your car. 

David S. Wallens
6/10/22 6:20 p.m.

True story, it was time to put new tires on our Civic Si, and on the way back from JG & Duck Tire Svc. I was like, these are way too quiet for 200tw.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/11/22 2:00 p.m.

Still not understanding how a mostly smooth tire can be "loud".  I mean, I hear enough people mention it to accept that it can be a thing, but I don't get it.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/16/22 11:47 p.m.

I can't hear anything above the sound of my Miata exhaust. 

NickD
NickD MegaDork
6/17/22 6:12 a.m.

The Nexen N Fera SUR4G were really quiet on the road and they didn't tramline at all, despite the pretty aggressive alignment my car had on it. The downside was that they were also absolutely silent when you were driving the car hard, there was no noise until you were overdriving the car and it just chewed them to bits.

David S. Wallens
6/17/22 10:27 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

Yeah, somewhere there's a desirable point between quiet and talkative. Some communication at the limit is appreciated. 

te72
te72 Reader
6/21/22 1:23 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Personal experience with R888R's on an LS400 tells me that they have a weird hum to them that is not exactly pleasant. Even at low speeds, so I don't think it's so much the wind creating it in this specific car's case. Too big a smile on my face autocrossing a big car like that to really care, but yes, it's a thing. A weird thing, admittedly.

Other unexpectedly civil tire? Kuhmo V730, in the ubiquitous 205/50/15 Miata fitment. Drove it 500 miles round trip for an autocross last year, and was pleasantly surprised at how quiet and rain worthy it was, in new condition. Now that it's had a half dozen events on it... I suspect it wouldn't do as well in the rain. =P

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/21/22 6:38 a.m.

In reply to te72 :

When I look at the V730 tires that have more than a half dozen events on them, they sure don't look like they would work on the wet. The outside 2/3 is a slick. 

They're good tires for dry autocross though. I've driven on them for a few events in my friend's 19 civic sport, and I was impressed. He trailers it to events, so not much street driving. 

Cactus
Cactus HalfDork
6/21/22 12:32 p.m.

If you have unmuffled side pipes, all tires are quiet.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/21/22 12:48 p.m.

If your HPDE run group tracks after the Spec Miata group, it won't matter how quite your tires were before you took the track. 

After three quarters of a lap of pretty severe extra rubber rumble, I threw a chunk of rubber at a car as I pointed him by that looked like it could have been a roof shingle. 

te72
te72 Reader
6/22/22 8:52 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

Doc, at that point in a tire's life, you're right. When new though, I was able to drive across the state (Wyoming) and back, in pretty heavy rain on the way back too. Didn't miss a beat even at 70+ mph. Would probably make a decent street tire for a couple years, if you're like me and only get 3-4 months of decent weather.

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/22/22 9:39 p.m.

Tire howl is a real thing.  I can't believe some of the tires some spec as OEM.  My Civic Si is all tire noise right now.  My wife's Tiguan was the same way.  When we changed tires on her car at 30k miles it was a totally different and better car.  Updating the tires on my Colorado also helped quite a bit.  I will be doing Continental All Terrain Contacts on my wifes new Tahoe in another 25k miles or so too. 

aw614
aw614 Reader
8/2/22 1:43 p.m.
te72 said:

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

Personal experience with R888R's on an LS400 tells me that they have a weird hum to them that is not exactly pleasant. Even at low speeds, so I don't think it's so much the wind creating it in this specific car's case. Too big a smile on my face autocrossing a big car like that to really care, but yes, it's a thing. A weird thing, admittedly.

Other unexpectedly civil tire? Kuhmo V730, in the ubiquitous 205/50/15 Miata fitment. Drove it 500 miles round trip for an autocross last year, and was pleasantly surprised at how quiet and rain worthy it was, in new condition. Now that it's had a half dozen events on it... I suspect it wouldn't do as well in the rain. =P

Interesting about the V730 being more civilized, I had the previous V720 and those roared like I had a bad wheel bearing. 

te72
te72 HalfDork
8/2/22 2:55 p.m.

In reply to aw614 :

Might also be the car. My Miata is all stock in regards to suspension, so no additional NVH from poly or solid bushings, plus it's a soft top. It's not exactly a quiet highway cruiser to begin with. Perhaps those same tires on a different car would be unbearable.

Rotorav8r
Rotorav8r
8/2/22 9:27 p.m.

In reply to te72 :

I can second the V730's. I have 255/275's and they are quieter than my Michelin PS3+'s.  

slantsix
slantsix HalfDork
2/8/23 9:41 a.m.

Maybe we should demand Noisy Tires for the all electric cars.. The oddly ominous Shepard scale sound that the Hyundai hybrid and electrics makes at low speed is well, ominous.

I bet at parking lot and city crosswalk speeds all tires are quiet anyway so it probably wont matter much.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/8/23 2:34 p.m.

I once had Dunlop Grantrek mud tires on my Samurai, it sounded exactly like the Scorpion tank from Halo on the highway laugh

David S. Wallens
5/9/23 9:27 a.m.

A million years ago, back before 200tw tires existed, we accidentally had some Yokohama R-comps mounted backwards . I believe they were A032s. Wow they howled. 

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/10/23 8:36 a.m.

Hankook RS4's are dead silent on my Fiesta ST at all times except at the very limit on track. 

Same car with Federal RS-RR's sounded like a jet taking off underneath me just driving to the grocery store. 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/10/23 11:50 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

A million years ago, back before 200tw tires existed, we accidentally had some Yokohama R-comps mounted backwards . I believe they were A032s. Wow they howled. 

IME, A032Rs did that even when they were mounted the right way.

Toyman!
Toyman! GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/10/23 12:20 p.m.

The Generals I had on the G35 sounded like mud grips. They made RE71s seem silent by comparison. The noise took a lot of the fun out of driving it on the street. The switch to the Indy 500s was bliss. 

The Falken Rubitech A/Ts on the Touareg are quieter than both of them. 

I had already decided that I won't be running 200tw tires on the Mustang due to the noise and it looks like the Maxis don't come in a 19. 

Berck
Berck Reader
10/15/23 12:53 p.m.

I think of 200TW tires as street tires. I'm running Dunlop Direzza Z3s on my Miata and they're fine.  A little noisier than I'd like on completely fresh asphalt, but civilized everywhere else.  They get noisier as they wear.  Especially compared to, say, NT-01s which don't really have tread, just "tread", and are insanely noisy on every surface.  Michelin Pilot Sports on my Focus RS are clearly street tires, 300TW and louder than the Dunlops.

bumpsteer
bumpsteer Reader
10/15/23 7:34 p.m.

Anything is better than a 595 RSRR in the noise department. When I put them on the same time I did my diff, I thought I had royally screwed it up until I jacked the car up. 

The next tires I put on the car definitely made it more enjoyable to drive. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NAqq0ARzr3szA8nzliFdcBLMkVk19G5CCIGZDn1Bksak2xfisbtlv83y7lwFxENZ