1 2
MyOldMGB
MyOldMGB New Reader
6/13/08 10:38 a.m.

Sorry -- we appear to be thread jacking a bit here, but the 2.2/2.5L Dodge engines were a complete new design back in (help me here -- 1977?) and then being put into use in 1981 (?). The VW 1.7 (and 1.8L??) appeared in the early Omni/Horizons if memory serves me right . . . I had a 1979 with the VW engine. My sister's 1981 Horizon had the 2.2 and my dad's 1989 had the 2.2 with TBI. The DOHC Neon head has been adapted to the 2.2/2.5L common block engines with enormous success. The 2.4L engine with Jeep Liberty mounting/transmission would be even more interesting, and then putting a Supra 5-speed behind it . . . all doable things. For now, I'll keep my pedestrian 2.5L Dakota and dream of what the MGB is calling for it's engine bay.

Raze
Raze New Reader
6/13/08 10:47 a.m.

Back to the ranger, I sir am sort of in your boat, I bought an 07 Ranger Sport with the 3.0L / 5spd and thought there wasn't much to do with it beyond the trailer hitch, tonneau, bug deflector, and window rain overhangs, coming from my Cadillac it was a world of difference in a good way, but from our XR4Ti track car it was very 'bolt on' boring. Below are 2 options, one that will cost you and let you do some stuff to your truck but your case I might try option 2 to keep the reliability and whatnot so that you can haul around option 2 :

1) functional upgrades that both increase utility and fuel economy: trailer hitch (5000 lb class III Hidden Hitch $150) , tonneau (parts store cheapy for <$100 or go up to agricover for $200-300, or fiberglass for $500 painted to match), bug deflector ($30), window overhangs ($30), K&N drop in panel filter ($45), Under drive pulley ($100 w/belt, more with accessory pullies), mechanical fan delete w/electric fan replacement v($50-150 depending on fan/electrical setup), rear end swap (for better cruise or accel depending how much towing you do). Beyond that I'd leave it alone. However, there was a supercharger kit made for the 3.0L but it's very expensive ($3-5k???) and hard to find but it's out there. Also you can get an Xcal2 programmer ($400ish) to reflash to improve economy / power. Lost of discussion, dyno, testing over on rangerpowersports.com for 3.0L mods.

2) get a cart and go out and race your cart, you can tinker to your heart's content and they're very inexpensive, and you'll spend more time racing so you won't be spending money on parts. There was a good thread on this on the old board, wish it was carried over...

fiat22turbo
fiat22turbo GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/13/08 1:52 p.m.

I've started another topic to reduce the thread hijack quotient:

GRM Forum Topic Post

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/13/08 3:58 p.m.

Talk to http://www.camburg.com/fords1P.html. Its not cheap but it is badass.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fvQxl5dfSkbAUqsYZlhejMdteSgMu6dMA4sM7k93Km34AY3NxJ7eHvzQSUrT0UZv