1 2
Nofive_0
Nofive_0 Reader
9/2/20 10:20 a.m.

Hey Guys,

Remember when I started a thread about how expensive Toyota trucks were and blah blah blah. Yea, well I did the sensible thing and bought a salvage one from the auction on a whim. 

Behold 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/2/20 10:27 a.m.

the value proposition isn't there..  you pay a lot for a vehicle..  sure it's worth more in the end.. but if you bought a cheaper car.. invested the difference in tesla or apple recently.. you'd be far ahead.. 

It dosen't make sense.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
9/2/20 11:47 a.m.

I wanted a tundra but didn't want to buy a new truck thats 13 yrs old or pay the crazy prices of a 3 yr old tundra.

So I recently picked up a super clean lower mileage '17 titan xd gas,literally half the price of new and still 2 yrs factory warranty.

For that price point I'll take the risk,the depreciation curve has to level off otherwise its worth zero in another 3 yrs.

Nofive_0
Nofive_0 Reader
9/2/20 11:52 a.m.

This is probably the most GRM thread ever. Complaining about the price of used old trucks and then buying a wrecked one. 

$3300 to my door. Sucks that I'll have to get it inspected and spend probably another $500 in fixing it, but whatever.... I'm sure it will be for sale on here in a few months again.

MrChaos said:

have you looked at land crusier pricing?

Ha, my exact first thought when I saw the thread title.

I think prices are being helped by the explosion of the "overland" lifestyle. All the people who had slammed hondas and VIP cars have moved onto hard parking their 4x4s with rooftop tents and really nice suspension.

twowheeled
twowheeled New Reader
9/2/20 1:13 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago (Forum Supporter) said:
MrChaos said:

have you looked at land crusier pricing?

Ha, my exact first thought when I saw the thread title.

I think prices are being helped by the explosion of the "overland" lifestyle. All the people who had slammed hondas and VIP cars have moved onto hard parking their 4x4s with rooftop tents and really nice suspension.

dam millenials these days, can't go car camping without making a vlog about it. I had a 91 4runner and shopped a lot of taco's around 2005-2010 era. I couldn't get over the lack legroom in the pedalbox area. I wear a size 9 shoe and my foot was getting hung up on the fusebox or wiring harness under the steering column. Forget about seating an adult in the rear seats on the 4door. The 1st gen ridgeline is the hidden gem if you only need gravel road capability, but the aftermarket for that truck is nonexistant. 

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/2/20 2:50 p.m.
Nofive_0 said:

This is probably the most GRM thread ever. Complaining about the price of used old trucks and then buying a wrecked one. 

$3300 to my door. Sucks that I'll have to get it inspected and spend probably another $500 in fixing it, but whatever.... I'm sure it will be for sale on here in a few months again.

it is.. but that's why i'm here lurking in this thread..

lots of legit logic and lots of rambling and muttering about the stupidity of the used toyota market.. and then WHAM.. the good stuff..

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/2/20 3:33 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine said:

the value proposition isn't there..  you pay a lot for a vehicle..  sure it's worth more in the end.. but if you bought a cheaper car.. invested the difference in tesla or apple recently.. you'd be far ahead.. 

It dosen't make sense.

Why aren't we all driving Versas and dumping everything in to our Etrade accounts? 

lots of things could make more money than autocrossing or buying a Tacoma over a Ranger. Do what you like even if there is a cheaper thing.

parker
parker Reader
9/2/20 4:31 p.m.
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) said:

Why aren't we all driving Versas and dumping everything in to our Etrade accounts? 

lots of things could make more money than autocrossing or buying a Tacoma over a Ranger. Do what you like even if there is a cheaper thing.

Yikes!  If there is a Hell, for me it would be driving a Versa for eternity.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
9/2/20 4:40 p.m.
parker said:
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) said:

Yikes!  If there is a Hell, for me it would be driving a Versa for eternity.

I drove a ct200h for a year, bought new. Worst, soulless, piece of junk in the World . I thought I was in hell then 

but you are right - versa would be even worse ! 

Nofive_0
Nofive_0 Reader
9/6/20 5:39 p.m.

This thing is suuuuper clean. $3300 delivered from Atlanta to Charlotte. I'll spend a few hundred to fix it but should be in for under 4 grand.

BFGs have lots of life left in them. Zero rust. The underside is likely cleaner than all my other cars. It's got a block in the back and spacers up front for what looks like 2" of lift. The interior is spotless but it seems the radio doesn't work. Ac is cold. No weird noises. Brakes are good. Ball joint boots are busted, but oh well. To be expected. I might do those if they're cheap enough. I think it n eds shocks as it rides pretty firm too. All in all I think it's about all you can ask for. Too bad it wasn't a double cab, leather, and 4wd. Then again it would have been twice the price.

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
9/6/20 5:53 p.m.

In reply to Nofive_0 :

Looks great from this vantage! 

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/6/20 6:34 p.m.

What was that at a salvage auction?

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/6/20 7:57 p.m.
OHSCrifle said:

What was that at a salvage auction?

scroll up to the pic at the top of the page, Front impact likely airbag deployment on a 20 year old truck with 220k miles

Nofive_0
Nofive_0 Reader
9/6/20 8:09 p.m.

No airbags deployed. Looks like maybe a deer hit or something.

Insurance value is probably only 2500 or so. Doesn't take much when you consider shop rates and a new oem hood is probably north of $700 or NLA. Usually not worth it for them.

This truck would be worth 5 grand easy with a clean title and no damage. You would never know it's got over 200k miles. I'm happy. And to top it all off there is a nice sticker under the hood to show that the timing belt was just done less than 3 months ago. 

Now I'm going to try and not have maintenance scope creep. I'll keep this updated with what I do.

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/6/20 8:14 p.m.

Nice score on the timing belt

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Reader
9/6/20 8:39 p.m.

Even with Toyotas, there are still bargains to be had with single cab or double cab trucks.  Forget about getting a crew cab for fair money though.

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/6/20 8:53 p.m.
Brett_Murphy (Forum Patrón) said:

We're in North Carolina.

Prices are higher than other places in the South, especially the closer you get to Ft. Bragg and Camp Lejune, but Tacoma prices are especially bad. In addition to soldiers with a bunch of money to burn when they get back in country, I blame it on the fact that Uwharrie is in the state, and people can take them off road.

I should have posted that in the 'Boy I Hate Selling' thread.  The OP should take that motorcycle to one of the "Lemon Lots" inside Ft. Bragg.  I've never sold a vehicle quicker.  

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
9/6/20 8:56 p.m.

In reply to Nofive_0 :

Go to the Toyota website and find the upper page tab for Owners. Set up a log in and put in your vin. The site will return service records for any work done at any Toyota dealership in the US.

RX Reven'
RX Reven' GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/6/20 9:07 p.m.

I think there's considerably more to the high resale value than (perceived / actual) quality....they're small and, very importantly, they're very good looking.

I've heard that we consider something to be beautiful when it closely matches a generalized, idyllic image we hold of it in our minds (i.e, we think a tree looks nice if it closely matches our mental image of a tree). 

If this is true, perhaps this is the generalized, idyllic image people are paying so much for to closely match:

It's the truck Michael J. Fox drove in the original (1987) Back to the Future.  In Googling the picture, I've learned that matching this look (even in later generation Toyota trucks) is a thing.

Mike (Forum Supporter)
Mike (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/6/20 9:46 p.m.

In reply to RX Reven' :

Toyota did one about five or so years ago. Maybe a SEMA thing?

Nofive_0
Nofive_0 Reader
9/6/20 9:48 p.m.
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) said:

In reply to Nofive_0 :

Go to the Toyota website and find the upper page tab for Owners. Set up a log in and put in your vin. The site will return service records for any work done at any Toyota dealership in the US.

Just went and did that. Only two services show up. One of them is the t belt, new plugs, and water pump. Done at the dealer that was likely $2k.

Vigo (Forum Supporter)
Vigo (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/7/20 8:18 p.m.

All these comments, plus having done lots of mechanical work to all of them, which COULD make me more skeptical but actually doesn't.  I still end up in about the same place thinking it's semi-ridiculous. I think for the most part people are buying a good feeling based on a very strong and mostly accurate stereotype about Toyota quality. In general i would say if you compare most brands half-ton pickups to their other models, a lot of them are LESS reliable and cost more to keep up with over time. With toyota trucks i don't think that's true.

I've still done a fair amount of work to everything BUT the 5.7 truck engine, but those trucks still exist in a more normal pricing reality. I like the 3.4 but think it's generally unexceptional, just generically good. The 4.7 I like more as it gives you enough power and better noises to add a lot of personality. The old 3.4 Tacomas are small but don't really give you any upside to it. The 1st gen Tundras are on the small side of full size which i like because it's still big enough to do almost all the full-size things, and i like the 4.7 and trans combos better than anything previous. I like the 'Camry Truck' interior and the exterior looks of the non-stepsides (hate those taillights..). 

I still don't think any early Tundras should go over 10k unless they're absolutely beautiful, and i dont think ANY contemporary or earlier Tacomas should be worth more than those Tundras! 2004-up Tacomas I can see asking 10k+ for fairly high miles, but still nothing like what a lot of people are seeing. I drove a 15 with 58k miles on it recently and it didn't feel special in any way and actually rode 'poorly' for a 'modern' vehicle. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Y2jSBk1GrMow9tdOwEJfp4JEXf3CDGjTZH4nH18u6ExW6loZDIKM0NtQ08GVsYV4