1 2 3
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/19 10:57 a.m.

Is it just me?  I won’t name my insurance carrier but there adds have been getting stupider and stupider to the point that I think they are trying to target the dumbest people on the planet. I actually asked my agent to look at other carriers and when asked why I told her that I was embarrassed by my current carriers tv adds. A long awkward science followed.  

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
5/19/19 11:03 a.m.

You have a problem with the wacky new maid?  Or the lemu emu?  

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/19 11:06 a.m.

most of the ads are pretty good.  Geico, Farmer's, and Allstate have all been putting out some top notice commercials.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/19/19 11:30 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine :

They all seem to have enormous advertising budgets. I'm not sure that's a good thing 

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/19 2:24 p.m.

I don’t mind them, I’d rather see JK Simmons telling me about a silly insurance claim than soaking in a tub in a field with a limp noodle. Commercials seem to mostly be one or the other. 

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
5/19/19 2:52 p.m.

I like the Mayhem commercials

not that they would persuade me to buy their insurance tho

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
5/19/19 4:10 p.m.

TV ads play to the lowest common denominator, but switching companies because of them seems short sighted to me.

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
5/19/19 4:17 p.m.

When the lizard bumped my rates ~20% for no reason last year I called them to cancel and, when asked why, told them "I'm tired of paying for your stupid commercials. Maybe if you spent less on advertising you wouldn't have had to bump my rates." They didn't really try to argue after that.

The dumbest one I've seen lately is for one of the safe driving discount trackers with a woman yelling at people not to "mess with my discount!" The message appears to be that only single-minded psychotics will actually be able to qualify for the promised discount, which seems a less than ideal marketing ploy.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/19/19 5:10 p.m.

It seems the more they spend on entertaining advertising, the more they'll stick it in your ass. 

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
5/19/19 5:13 p.m.

I make it a point to carry insurance from companies you don't see advertised on television.

They get that advertising budget somewhere, and I don't want it to be me.

dean1484
5/19/19 6:10 p.m.
fasted58 said:

Mayhem is great!!!

dean1484
5/19/19 6:18 p.m.

Mayhem and Flow are borderline cultural icons at this point. At least you can relate to the WTF moments that Flow has and Mayhem was the first and still the best as far as I am concerned when it comes to this genre of commercial. Flow has slipped a bit but you can not hit a homerun every time.

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
5/19/19 7:41 p.m.

PVR? Netflix?

It's a non-differentiated product, so the only way to generate interest is with extensive marketing. They only time you'll really test the value of their product is when you make a serious claim, which the overwhelming majority of people won't do. It's very difficult for consumers to know which companies you'll have to sue and which ones will actually abide by their contracts. It's probably none of them, but again, it's just another way it's a non-differentiated product. ;)

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/19/19 7:44 p.m.

The Liberty Mutual ads infuriate me. The annoying morons were bad enough. Then they decided they needed to add a jingle to copy Farmers. That wasn’t enough so they had to add an animal to copy GEICO. Who are they going to rip off next?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/19/19 8:14 p.m.
dean1484 said:
fasted58 said:

Mayhem is great!!!

I look fowards to the mayhem commecials.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/19/19 10:08 p.m.
Duke said:

The Liberty Mutual ads infuriate me.

Liberty, liberty, LIBERTY!

dean1484
5/19/19 10:30 p.m.

I think you all may be narrowing it down a bit. Lol.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/20/19 5:41 a.m.

I like the supposedly true mishaps in the Farmer’s commercials. 

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
5/20/19 6:00 a.m.

Yeah, yeah, the blind and ignorant rage against insurance companies.  Yawn.  But you're really going to pick a product, or not pick one, because you think their TV ads are dumb?  Toyota has had some of the dumbest car commercials I've ever seen.  However, if someone comes to me needing reliable point A to point B transportation, I'm not going to say "Well, Toyota makes a great car but you should never buy one because their ads are stupid."   And yeah, if you want someone to buy your product, advertising is kinda a necessity....especially in a cut throat market like auto insurance.

Is it really the insurance companies that are hitting a "new low"?  Just sayin'

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/20/19 6:17 a.m.

It's the advertising.  At least one company's advertising, for me - I'm not really sure I want a service marketed directly to self-righteous idiots.

I don't have anything against the insurance industry in general.  They provide a needed service.

thedoc
thedoc GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/20/19 7:34 a.m.

Wow, timely. I just saw my first USAA ad. My first thought was how much I was paying for it.  Anyone old enough to remember the insurance company from, "The odd couple"?  They had no offices, etc so they could say you money.  No contracts, just a handshake.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
5/20/19 8:06 a.m.

By the way, I'm not defending the IQ level of the commercials themselves.  I agree most are pretty corny. 

Just being an industry insider, the commercials I like least are the ones from Liberty Mutual.  They're trying to show what you would think are strange and unusual claims and saying "We know a thing or two because we've seen a thing or two".  I think they're trying to imply that they can handle anything because they've seen everything.  That's cool and all, however the scenarios they're depicting are the most basic Claims 101 level stuff.  They have one out now about a drone hitting someone's windshield.  It's a glass claim...most insurance companies have either support staff handling them, or are completely automated.  Beyond simple.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/20/19 8:32 a.m.

In reply to Klayfish :

That's Farmers.

The Liberty Mutual commercials are the ones with the "If your insurance company dares to raise your rates just because you had one teensy little total loss of your brand new vehicle, then you have the wrong insurance company" idiots.  And the aggravated morons who apparently refuse to understand the concept of depreciation.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
5/20/19 8:36 a.m.

But! You loved Brad!

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/20/19 9:28 a.m.
Klayfish said:

But you're really going to pick a product, or not pick one, because you think their TV ads are dumb?

There is a car dealership who put up radio ads that were so incredibly annoying, I've decided to never buy a car from them. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Q8ekJrTjTTjkfM6TLNfWiEiZUhiDGgkijDbxbL0SjKAkyC9Sc99wu0DoRrC2Iwk8