1 2 3
SaltyDog
SaltyDog HalfDork
5/21/19 8:00 a.m.

I always hear "Moron car insurance" when the Geico guy says he will save you 15% or "Moron car insurance"

I don't consider myself a moron, nor would I want to be associated with a company that wants to insure them.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/21/19 8:26 a.m.
DirtyBird222 said:

Can we all just agree insurance is a necessary but unnecessary evil? I'm not sure about other states; but,  in Florida you can't even register a vehicle without proof of insurance on that vehicle. If you have insurance on that vehicle and drop it, Florida will find out and then spend tons of taxpayer dollars sending you snail mail to tell you you're wrong and threaten you with fines. I'm not sure how I know but there once was a Chumpcar that had a story like this. 

I'll also take recommendations for replacements for USAA at this time. 

You have to have insurance in OK to register a car as well. But you can also easily cancel it as soon as your register the car. 

Considering the average person doesn't even have a few months worth of expenses saved up, I'm OK with people being forced to buy liability insurance.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/21/19 9:21 a.m.

I'm also interested in hearing from the people talking about insurers that don't advertise. I'm going to be putting a first time permit holder on my policy for the first time, and I figure it's probably a good time to shop around.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/21/19 12:32 p.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

Which company is that, Keith?

I'm with EMC. But more importantly, I'm with an independent broker. If I need a rate check, I just call up Connie and say "hey, it's been a while, can you see if there are any other options for me?". Most of my coworkers have gone to her and have all saved a big chunk of change and/or improved their coverage. Plus she's on my side if there's a problem because she doesn't work for the insurance company. 

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
8/2/21 6:28 a.m.

Canoe reviving zombie thread.

But since we're here...

Having worked for a half dozen companies over my career I've developed a fairly flawless conclusion:  the more a company advertises, the poorer their customer service is.

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/2/21 9:18 a.m.

Heads up if your auto, home, and/or umbrella coverage is thru MetLife ... they were recently purchased by Farmers, so if that creates an issue for you, it is a good time to shop around.  We did, and ultimately switched (thru the same independent agent that we had the MetLife coverage thru) to Auto Owners for our entire package.  As a result, our coverage limits went up, while the total price went down.  I was motivated to look based on two friends both having horriffic claims experience with Farmers.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
8/2/21 9:29 a.m.
einy (Forum Supporter) said:

Heads up if your auto, home, and/or umbrella coverage is thru MetLife ... they were recently purchased by Farmers, so if that creates an issue for you, it is a good time to shop around.  We did, and ultimately switched (thru the same independent agent that we had the MetLife coverage thru) to Auto Owners for our entire package.  As a result, our coverage limits went up, while the total price went down.  I was motivated to look based on two friends both having horriffic claims experience with Farmers.

I'm sticking with Auto Owners for now. I've had some bad luck in the last few years (bad wrecks, not my fault) but they took care of things. I use an independent insurance broker, she said she'll let me know when something better comes along. But for now I'm about to ship a check to AO for another year of coverage.

tomtomgt356 (Tommy)
tomtomgt356 (Tommy) GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/2/21 12:19 p.m.

If you follow Car Insurance Commercial math, they should be paying us to provide us insurance. Since every single insurance company can save you $200-300 just by switching, switch a few times (or a few dozen times) and eventually they will be paying you!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mRKKoaWPznnTL73RSk07TJflFrgDRW2kLOChdzZhv0OyzXZKJ08PYZjuga11O77M