1 2
Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
7/21/14 7:12 a.m.

Interesting thread to read for me too. We're just about to break ground on a new construction home...typically subdivision stuff. One of the things on my "wish list" is to have a lift built into one of the garage bays. We're asking the builder what it would cost to raise the garage height. Then I have to figure out what lift to put in. Since I have a clean slate, I figure it's a good time to see what can be built in before the garage floor goes in...or at the same time.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/21/14 7:33 a.m.

In reply to Klayfish:

Try to avoid having lally columns in the garage if you can. It really opens up the usable space.

glueguy
glueguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/21/14 8:20 a.m.
Klayfish wrote: Interesting thread to read for me too. We're just about to break ground on a new construction home...typically subdivision stuff. One of the things on my "wish list" is to have a lift built into one of the garage bays. We're asking the builder what it would cost to raise the garage height. Then I have to figure out what lift to put in. Since I have a clean slate, I figure it's a good time to see what can be built in before the garage floor goes in...or at the same time.

Get thee to garagejournal forums.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/21/14 8:39 a.m.
Woody wrote: In reply to Klayfish: Try to avoid having lally columns in the garage if you can. It really opens up the usable space.

This.. Steel beam across so nothing gets in the way of opening doors...

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
7/21/14 8:43 a.m.

I have an older Rotary branded version of the Auto Mid Rise lift thing. Mine does have cross bars so it limits access for exhaust work and some transmission work but 80% of the time or more, when I need a car in the air its for brake or suspension work, the lift is great for that. I can raise it up then stick my floor jack under the center support and roll it around my garage anywhere I need it.

If I had budget for something new I might have gone differently but I got this 4 years ago for $500 delivered used and it's been worth every cent.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render Dork
7/21/14 9:50 a.m.

Bendpak now makes a 5,000-pound capacity QuickJack.

http://www.bendpak.com/Shop-Equipment/QuickJack/BL-5000.aspx

They show it holding up a current-gen Camaro. If it can pick up that bloated whale of a vehicle, it should hold up just about anything.

Adrift
Adrift New Reader
7/21/14 5:24 p.m.
Sky_Render wrote: Bendpak now makes a 5,000-pound capacity QuickJack.

This lift is at the top of my list. However, the lastest word from one of the vendors is late August shipping. The internet "expected" date has been backed up several times. I was on the Bendpak site about a week ago and used the site's own "Have a Question?" function asking about expected ship date and degree of confidence for said date. Never heard back. I view that as two options; both bad. Either they don't know the answer or customer service is lacking.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/21/14 5:36 p.m.
Adrift wrote:
Sky_Render wrote: Bendpak now makes a 5,000-pound capacity QuickJack.
This lift is at the top of my list. However, the lastest word from one of the vendors is late August shipping. The internet "expected" date has been backed up several times. I was on the Bendpak site about a week ago and used the site's own "Have a Question?" function asking about expected ship date and degree of confidence for said date. Never heard back. I view that as two options; both bad. Either they don't know the answer or customer service is lacking.

I know a couple of guys that already have the 5k one. It has been shipping.

dcteague
dcteague New Reader
7/21/14 7:51 p.m.

Most of the lifts I've seen that jack from the frame rails have a cross-bar at the height of the actual frame rails, whereas this one has the bars at the floor - I'd be happy with this - at least I could remove the tranny - with the others, you can't drop anything in the center section from underneath.

glueguy wrote:
dcteague wrote: This is the other one I mentioned - its the only other frame lift I've seen that allows full access to the center of the undercarriage for tranny/exhaust type work. http://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/Auto-Lift-6-000lb-Portable-Mid-Rise-Frame-Lift-p/al-6k-mr-38.htm
The two sides are connected (unlike the QuickJack). How does this provide easy access to the center under the car? Wouldn't those be uncomfortable on the back and get in the way of moving around under there?
Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
7/21/14 8:20 p.m.

I have the QuickJack for my Corvette. I like it. It makes brake work, oil changes and general inspection a breeze. Not sure what my girlfriend's Matrix Xr weighs but it lifted that no problem.

dcteague
dcteague New Reader
7/23/14 7:06 p.m.

I'm starting to think about building my own. I've come across a few commercial designs that look relatively simple to build and with a few tweaks, I think I could make an awesome DIY version that's more functional.

Here's what I'm thinking:

I'd construct 2 long ramps with a steel box support at one end that's hinged and the other end at floor height so that it could be driven onto. I'd construct them using box steel tubing - a typical box at one end with diagonals that's 24" tall - long runners the length of the ramp, with a hinged ramp about 24" in length at the other. When the low side is lifted, it eventually serves as a locking mechanism to support the other end so both ends are 24". I'm thinking a 2"x 10" wood runner could be used on top of the steel construction to serve as a platform. I'm thinking that in each platform/runner, I could have a separate inset section that's the length of my jack points that could be operated by simple bottle jacks you insert under the runners once its lifted, thereby lifting the car a bit higher off the runners if I need to do wheel/brake work, or want it up higher. The 2 runners would be linked for lateral support at the front and back (the back allowing for a centralized jacking point to get it level) but they'd both be somewhat out of the way for most work.

It would essentially operate like this one, but each runner would have an integrated jack to lift the car up off the runner a bit higher.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLzCLiXxlCU

Seems like a simple inexpensive solution compared to the money invested on a commercial lift and it would be more functional than what I've seen given the garage size and functionality.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/23/14 7:59 p.m.

I've often tried to think of a good diy design for a car lift that works from a single bottle jack and a big jack stand for safety. Dont have any super great solutions yet.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
7/24/14 6:49 a.m.
dcteague wrote: I'm starting to think about building my own. I've come across a few commercial designs that look relatively simple to build and with a few tweaks, I think I could make an awesome DIY version that's more functional. Here's what I'm thinking: I'd construct 2 long ramps with a steel box support at one end that's hinged and the other end at floor height so that it could be driven onto. I'd construct them using box steel tubing - a typical box at one end with diagonals that's 24" tall - long runners the length of the ramp, with a hinged ramp about 24" in length at the other. When the low side is lifted, it eventually serves as a locking mechanism to support the other end so both ends are 24". I'm thinking a 2"x 10" wood runner could be used on top of the steel construction to serve as a platform. I'm thinking that in each platform/runner, I could have a separate inset section that's the length of my jack points that could be operated by simple bottle jacks you insert under the runners once its lifted, thereby lifting the car a bit higher off the runners if I need to do wheel/brake work, or want it up higher. The 2 runners would be linked for lateral support at the front and back (the back allowing for a centralized jacking point to get it level) but they'd both be somewhat out of the way for most work. It would essentially operate like this one, but each runner would have an integrated jack to lift the car up off the runner a bit higher. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLzCLiXxlCU Seems like a simple inexpensive solution compared to the money invested on a commercial lift and it would be more functional than what I've seen given the garage size and functionality.

Sounds a lot like this: http://www.kwik-lift.com/

dcteague
dcteague New Reader
7/24/14 8:23 a.m.

Very much like the kwik lift but I still think it would be nifty to have some inset jacks operated from bottle jacks that align to the jack points on the frame rather than a cross-member that obstructs access front/rear as they've shown in their pick - but to be honest, that may be just as cheap as building your own once you throw in some effort.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 HalfDork
7/24/14 8:57 a.m.

The kwiklift seems like another good option.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
7/24/14 9:45 a.m.

There is this one, too, though for the price I'd buy a QuickJack and save several hundred $$:

http://www.ezcarlift.com/

The
The HalfDork
7/24/14 10:26 a.m.

i paid my 1000 bucks 5 weeks ago, they say it will ship at the end of the month #$%^^& Ranger QuickJack - lift height is 24", weight capacity is 3500lb and its advertised as portable

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/28/14 6:43 a.m.

I recently missed a MaxJax on the local CL for $1500..

The
The HalfDork
7/30/14 6:57 a.m.
me said: i paid my 1000 bucks 5 weeks ago, they say it will ship at the end of the month #$%^^& Ranger QuickJack - lift height is 24", weight capacity is 3500lb and its advertised as portable

now they say the end of August, i said give me my money back. are there any new options??

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/30/14 7:00 a.m.
Basil Exposition wrote: There is this one, too, though for the price I'd buy a QuickJack and save several hundred $$: http://www.ezcarlift.com/

A friend at work has one of those and loves it. He uses it to maintain his fleet of E30s (325ix, 325ic, and an M3)...

erohslc
erohslc HalfDork
7/30/14 8:31 a.m.

Ever been to Home Depot?
Interesting how they stack heavy stuff like cinderblocks and bricks on pallet racks.
Those are 'standard' commercial pallet racks, and they cycle them out for new when the paint gets dingy or covered with old stickers.
Seems that you can find them used, for pretty cheap.
Hmmm ... Maybe a good starting point for DIY project.

The
The HalfDork
7/30/14 1:27 p.m.

Quickjack called me, if i buy today i would receive it in September, they are selling faster than they can make them, now i am trying to remember why i wanted one in the first place, spend the grand on some goodies maybe.......

Harvey
Harvey Reader
7/30/14 1:42 p.m.
Woody wrote: I have a MaxJax and I love it.

That looks fantastic! I just need to level out my garage floor.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
10/29/15 2:46 p.m.

Resurecting this thread as I just found this. No good to me no space or $$, but people here might like it. I have no idea if this is really good value or utter crap, just passing it on.

Starting $1,340 here

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
z2KJqlhnCZxebEQJlUWALNAikvBfQj6boeiR7AwlDe64xk1kT4837QGcYx4waHA0