1 2
John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
2/4/19 11:10 a.m.
Twarf said:

In reply to Sanchinguy :

I am going to Las Vegas later this month. I would like to learn more about this post. Did you drive this?

Welcome to GRM.

What week will you be going to Vegas?  

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
2/4/19 11:24 a.m.

I would go to Vegas to find my stolen custom Corvette. Start working for the people that stole it then steal it back. 

karplus2
karplus2 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/4/19 11:36 a.m.

I also did Exotics Racing while I was there. It was quite fun and the instructors were much better than I expected and let me push the MP4-12C much harder than I expected they would let me.

pontiacstogo
pontiacstogo New Reader
2/4/19 12:04 p.m.
westsidetalon said:

Red Rock Canyon is a nice drive and hike as well and closer then Valley of Fire.

Agreed - we visit Las Vegas regularly but I can only take the strip for one or two days.  Red Rock, Valley of Fire, Grand Canyon are all in driving distance of the strip.  Lots of exotic car rental companies in Vegas but most have huge deductibles so read the fine print first.  We end up using Hertz every time - they have a great selection of cool cars, and the rental rates are very reasonable.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/4/19 1:24 p.m.

Hunter S. Thompson's "Red Shark" Caprice convertible now lives within the Cannabis museum on Fremont St.    The rest of the museum is ridiculously hokey, but the car is kinda cool.   It appears Hunter wasn't much for maintenance---- his old car has oil leaks!  

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
2/4/19 1:32 p.m.

I'm headed back in mid march for a week again this year. I'm not a gambler and I've worn out most of the stuff that's cool for an honorable married guy to do solo and doesn't cost much. I may have to pony up for a rental car this year.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia Reader
2/4/19 1:33 p.m.

I would like to do something like evasive driving class ,  or chauffeur  stopping a kidnapping drivers class , 

Basically hand brake turns , slick pad etc , just to learn a little and have a good laugh doing it !

_
_ Reader
2/4/19 1:46 p.m.

I did exotics racing. That was the funnest thing I did in Vegas! I too, do not gamble or drink or smoke. If you’re going to waste money, turn it into track time.

They have a daily special that is usually $300 for five laps sometimes 250 for five laps and then you can add on more laps. It really doesn’t matter what car you were driving if you are just doing it for the track experience. But usually it is a skyline GTR or the Aston Martin. Did the Lambo LP 570, it was quite a bit faster than the other cars. Don’t waste your money on the Corvette drift laps,

BFH_Garage
BFH_Garage New Reader
2/4/19 7:05 p.m.

Walk (or catch a ride) from New York New York across the interstate to In N Out... 4888 Dean Martin Dr. Eat a great burger and watch for cool cars in the lot.... we seem to see a variety of interesting cars every time we go there. There is also a company store with a nice selection of shirts, most automotive themed. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 HalfDork
2/5/19 1:45 p.m.

Check the Las Vegas Region SCCA website for our autocross schedule if you are going to be here over the weekend. The Porsche club is having a track day on March 2nd & 3rd. 

The exotics and karting places are indeed fun can't wrong there.

If you have a rental car the following drives are good ones:

Mt Charelston, do the connector road between Kyle & Lee Canyon.

Lake Mead Recreational area; do Lake Mead Dr through to North Shore Road.

Red Rock Canyon is nice but full of tourists bicycles etc.

Off-Strip places to eat:

Mexican - Lindo Michoacan on East Desert Inn.

Indian  - Pure India on Sunset Road (it's overlooks the airport on the south side of the airport).

Thai - I Am Thai  on Warm Springs Road near the airport. 

Italian - Cuginos Deli and Pizzeria across from UNLV or Sienna Deli on the west end of town.

I can also recommend a couple of Greek places and Bulgarian as well.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/5/19 3:44 p.m.
yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/2/19 10:41 a.m.

I'll be going to Vegas next week for an RPA conference. Looking to rent a cool car and take one of these local road trips. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
10/2/19 11:07 a.m.

Barret Jackson is in town the 3rd through the 6th.  BRE is having an open house on the 12th and we are having an autocross on the 13th.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ByjiaM8yoBUnjgT14W1mTjThYd3LZbOX9tkK78CkIlr1hBZgeGUevzMOY2WUSpuZ