Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/6/18 12:16 a.m.

So I understand that if the the car is carburetted, the cat will die a swift death, but what if it has decent fuel injection on it? Specifically, I'm thinking of a sbc with a Holley Sniper on top.  

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/6/18 1:19 a.m.

If the carb is tuned we’ll (many aren’t) it should do just fine with a cat.

Same with EFI.  Keep it tuned reasonably well, you’ll have no problem.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/6/18 6:39 a.m.

And the the tuning needs to be focused heavily on running stoichiometry.  Which is what the O2 sensor does really well.  So base most of the calibration on the feed back that it provides.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
8/6/18 6:57 a.m.

Ive often thought about adding cats as a way to reduce noise levels in the 3 inch exhaust on my duster. And make it smell less from the exhaust. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
8/6/18 7:03 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

I have plans in my head to add EFI and a catalyst to the gold Alfa GTV you see in my avatar, more for the smell and CO reduction.  So we can drive to California and not get headaches.  Now that I have some real space, that my happen.

jr02518
jr02518 Reader
8/6/18 8:50 a.m.

I have added a high-flow kat to my '87 BMW 325 NASA GT2  race car and can confirm a noticeable reduction of exhaust noise.  In stead of the sweet sound of the later 24 valve motor, the car has a '91 non vanos M50, people tell me how loud the fuel pump is.  At idle. 

That and I no longer fear the sound meter at my events.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VNUKvSKeYVVzj69KNxUsS4iXcsz78Mc0ydWGjUJqhbO2xFYnzZO3JXjT4yKfGm0B