1 2
P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/28/22 11:16 a.m.

I saw one of these unicorns out in the wild the other day. I got to thinking that they were based off a Holden, probably the Monaro, and those could be had with V8s. I think that's what the GTO was, too. 
Was it ever a popular option to engine swap these?? Midsize RWD was virtually nonexistent at the time and for most of the decade before and after. Some euro brands and then the upscale Japanese, but other than Cadillac, it's just not a thing domestically

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/28/22 11:19 a.m.

I thought it was Opel based. 

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/28/22 11:22 a.m.

I had forgotten how the side and rear greenhouse is very 1st gen Neon on these. 

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
Slippery said:

Yep. Opel Omega.

Opti
Opti Dork

I worked on a couple of these about 10 years ago, back then it was already hard to get parts for them.

The existence of the GTO, means there is no point to go catera. Its the same platform, just better and with a V8. Plus the GTO platform actually has a following so although it had some problems sourcing parts, its not as bad as a catera.

LanEvo
LanEvo GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/28/22 11:28 a.m.

I was going to say the same thing. Pretty sure it's the same platform as the Opel Omega (Vauxhall Carlton). I don't know much at all about Australian cars, but I guess it makes sense that there would be Holdens built on the same platform as well.

There was a Lotus variant of the Omega/Carlton that was the fastest sedan in the world for a while with a twin-turbo, 24-valve, inline-six engine. I guess the potential is there. Not sure if there were any V8s.

classicJackets (FS)
classicJackets (FS) SuperDork
11/28/22 11:37 a.m.

I am aware of someone who 1JZ swapped one here in Michigan..

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
11/28/22 11:40 a.m.

Ooh a twin turbo would go nicely for the Caddy that zigs.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/28/22 11:46 a.m.

I think a LFX and a 6 speed would make for a nice highway cruiser.

Opti
Opti Dork
11/28/22 4:51 p.m.
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) said:

Just start with a v6 5th gen camaro

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
11/28/22 6:13 p.m.

The worst of many bad things about a Catera is the remarkable need to remove the wiper mechanism for every job on the car.

Coil Pack and plug wires from GM, which I think were the only source, were about $1200cdn.

Useless, stupid car good only for dropping in the lake to anchor your dock.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/28/22 6:19 p.m.
Opti said:

I worked on a couple of these about 10 years ago, back then it was already hard to get parts for them.

The existence of the GTO, means there is no point to go catera. Its the same platform, just better and with a V8. Plus the GTO platform actually has a following so although it had some problems sourcing parts, its not as bad as a catera.

They are similar but different.  The Catera feels smaller and seems to have much better space allocation.  There are places in a GTO where you can pull an interior panel up and find a square foot or more of empty space.

And the Catera doesn't have its fuel tank in the trunk.

I like Cateras.  They are like Merkur Scorpios that you can theoretically find parts for.

Toebra
Toebra Dork
11/28/22 6:32 p.m.
Slippery said:

pretty sure, Caddy that zigs, not US chassis

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/28/22 7:26 p.m.

In reply to Toebra :

An amazing number of GM cars started design life in Germany.  I think the only ones since the 70s that didn't were the F (third and fourth gen), Y, X and derivatives, and B bodies.  And the B bodies could trace their roots to the sixties...

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
11/29/22 9:51 a.m.
Opti said:

I would start with a sixth gen Camaro.  Better V6 (or could even go with the 2.0T) and a Tremec 6 spd.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
11/29/22 10:10 a.m.
racerfink said:
Opti said:

I would start with a sixth gen Camaro.  Better V6 (or could even go with the 2.0T) and a Tremec 6 spd.

Plus like 400 pounds lighter. Looks like both the Caddy and the 5th gen camaros are pushing 3800 pounds and the 6th gen Camaro is more like 3400.

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
11/29/22 10:15 a.m.

In reply to dculberson :

I think buying an ATS would be the more direct way to get that powertrain into a RWD Caddy sedan.

P3PPY
P3PPY GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/29/22 10:50 a.m.

Yeah I should probably set it straight that there are better alternatives out there right now. I was more pondering the idea that someone at the time had realized the potential there. Apparently it was the same as a Holden Commodore (also from the Opel) and in 1999 it got an LS1. How about a RWD LS1 Lumina running around in 99?? Wouldn't that have been something to see??

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/29/22 11:25 a.m.
Opti said:

Easy button if you don't like seding out of windows

racerfink
racerfink UberDork
11/29/22 2:58 p.m.

A 350Z is much worse.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
11/29/22 3:05 p.m.

In reply to P3PPY :

I had an option o buy a 98 quite a few years ago. Back then you could still import the LS1 subframe in from germany. A lot of the parts were parts bin engineered. I was going for a 4.8/4L65 for a fun but economical cruiser. I ended up walking away from that one as i didn't have the funds to do it. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/29/22 4:52 p.m.

How hard to get things like glass and even door handles these days? 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
11/29/22 6:27 p.m.

Starting with a Cop Car Caprice would probably get you to your goal quicker and easier but maybe still with some parts problems.  The non parts bin parts. 

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Dork
11/29/22 7:34 p.m.

The catera is based on the Opel omega and the Holden commodore is based on the omega aswell.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro SuperDork
11/29/22 7:57 p.m.

Best thing about a Catera is it lead to the CTS, and CTS-V.  Got nothing other than that.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IWXPt4eM8agWQAEGzU9U3q9elMsd81B5mT7Rwj6NFn5K5KDghcqPQiomBDFaP229