Red5
Red5 New Reader
1/14/21 1:41 p.m.

It was suggested to me to ceramic coat the control arms on the suspension of my formula car.  I was told they polish up very nicely.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  Thanks  

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/14/21 3:09 p.m.

Polishing a ceramic coating?  Are you talking the stuff they have been pushing all over the place that you wipe on to the car paint?  Or are you talking about the ceramic coating you put on things like headers that controles heat.

frenchyd
frenchyd PowerDork
1/14/21 5:41 p.m.

In reply to Red5 :

Or the stuff they cost the tops of pistons with?  

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
1/14/21 10:25 p.m.

I have done shiney silver Jet-Hot on some chassis parts. Yes it looked great. No I would not do it on a suspension arm that I need to examine closely for fatigue damage, which is every part of any formula car after every session on track.

Red5
Red5 New Reader
1/15/21 9:38 a.m.

Yeah I was talking about the header coating that you can polish.  I want to use it on control arms push rods and tie rods.  Will it hide cracks?  More that paint?  

pirate
pirate HalfDork
1/15/21 11:16 a.m.

I have a satin black ceramic coating on some headers that has held up well. I assume your talking about the chrome/silver ceramic coating they also put on headers. It does polish well but is thicker then some of the other ceramic coatings. I would be concerned about it hiding cracks in suspension parts.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
1/15/21 12:22 p.m.

Cerakote is a cosmetic ceramic coating, mainly used for firearms that happens to hold up really well on a car.  I have never been able to ascertain if it blocks heat as effectively as Swain or other header coatings but it does hold up during use on the exhaust manifolds we have had coated with it.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/15/21 12:41 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

I have done shiney silver Jet-Hot on some chassis parts. Yes it looked great. No I would not do it on a suspension arm that I need to examine closely for fatigue damage, which is every part of any formula car after every session on track.

That is a very good point regarding inspections!!!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
A15bI90GRb5fqUXO8di7doUEX2dDYTZUMCf47Ejavehr2T8VtLTjEmTWHfOvm0tT