LS, I think, is the way to go.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
1/4/11 5:09 p.m.

Andy, Andy Nelson is the way to go.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing HalfDork
1/4/11 5:17 p.m.

Somebody needs to be punched for that sacrilege.

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/4/11 5:17 p.m.

In reply to Per Schroeder:

Agreed. Maybe we should buy it for him.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Reader
1/4/11 5:33 p.m.

Looks ok right until you see those lovely side strake addition's. I could at least 70K in missing stuff to get it decent at least 100K to get it right. Even then its a non matching car, the 250's bring some big cash though.

If it was a 330 it would be so junk.ed

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke New Reader
1/4/11 5:35 p.m.

Surely someone committed this atrocity as a joke and to piss off Ferrari people.

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
1/4/11 6:25 p.m.

IMHO...that car is fair game. Get it running with a roll bar and go racing.

I'm guessing that they blocked off the license plate so the aforementioned ferraristi wouldn't track down and kill the idiot that did this.

That idiot who can't spell
That idiot who can't spell SuperDork
1/4/11 6:28 p.m.

Since the damage is already done, you might as well have fun with it.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
1/4/11 6:36 p.m.

If I didn't know better I'd swear that car was made from adobe.

jg

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/4/11 6:54 p.m.

Spokesman: These days, everyone's talking about the Hyundai, and the Yugo. Both nice cars, if you've got $3,000 or $4,000 to throw around. But, for those of us whose name doesn't happen to be Rockefeller, finally there's some good news - a car with a sticker price of $179. That's right, $179. The name of the car?

Adobe. The sassy new Mexican import that's made out of clay. German engineering and Mexican know-how helped create the first car to break the $200 barrier. At this price, you might not expect more than reliable transportation - but, brother, you get it! Extra features: like the custom contour seats, or the beverage-gripping dash. And the money you save isn't exactly small change!

Jingle: "Hey, hey, we're Adobe! The little car that's made out of clay! We're gonna save you some money that you can spend in some other way! Hey, hey, we're Adobe! Hey, hey, we're Adobe! Adobe!"

[ show Adobe driver get into a fender-bender. She casually steps out of the vehicle and uses her hands to mold her bumper back into its proper shape, in under six minutes! ]

Spokesman: Adobe. You can buy a cheaper car. But I wouldn't recommend it!

Announcer: Not approved for street use in some states. No warranty either expressed or implied. All sales final.

irish44j
irish44j Dork
1/4/11 6:55 p.m.

I just threw up a little bit in my mouth...

tuna55
tuna55 Dork
1/4/11 7:05 p.m.

Too bad it's over challenge prices now. Who cares that it's a Ferrari, they weren't all good, ya know. It's just metal anyway. Or it was. I am not sure what it is now, maybe tree sap?

eastpark
eastpark Reader
1/4/11 7:06 p.m.
Wally wrote: "Hey, hey, we're Adobe! The little car that's made out of clay! We're gonna save you some money that you can spend in some other way! Hey, hey, we're Adobe! Hey, hey, we're Adobe! Adobe!"

A "say what" to beat all other say whats......

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/4/11 7:10 p.m.

It was stolen from SNL back when they were funny

JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
1/4/11 7:10 p.m.
eastpark wrote:
Wally wrote: "Hey, hey, we're Adobe! The little car that's made out of clay! We're gonna save you some money that you can spend in some other way! Hey, hey, we're Adobe! Hey, hey, we're Adobe! Adobe!"
A "say what" to beat all other say whats......

I was singing that to The Monkee's theme....

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/4/11 7:12 p.m.
JFX001 wrote: I was singing that to The Monkee's theme....

Me too

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/4/11 9:40 p.m.

Damn, I've been outbid.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
1/4/11 11:16 p.m.

Dang, I thought it was a joke until I saw the pic of the serial number tag.

With the Caddy motor, it might be one of the "specials" that ran in SCCA during the 60s. I know old club racing cars don't get the love they deserve at auction, but somebody ought to wake up Peter Hylton & Andy Reid to see what they think about it.

And at 12:14a EST, bid's up to $7K, and the reserve's not met yet. If this car isn't an old "special", or a real 250 GTE, the owner's been watching too much Barett-Jackson action on the channel formerly known as Speedvision.

Jay
Jay Dork
1/5/11 6:10 a.m.

You know what? The rear end treatment, flares and exhaust outlets, don't look half bad. If whoever started this thing had finished it competently I think it would be pretty neat. Keyword being "competently" which I don't see too much evidence of in the ad.

I've never been a huge fan of '60s thin chrome bumpers anyway.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
1/5/11 7:57 a.m.

Yep, looks like one of the big Cadillac motors to me, maybe even a 472 or 500. I could see somebody doing that in a fit of pique over expensive Ferarri parts, back when these cars had hit the bottom of the depreciation curve.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/5/11 8:05 a.m.

Is there a Cadillac out there somewhere with a Ferrari V-12 in it?

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/5/11 8:33 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Is there a Cadillac out there somewhere with a Ferrari V-12 in it?

No, but there is a Jeep Wagoneer with one.

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
1/5/11 8:43 a.m.
Javelin wrote:
pinchvalve wrote: Is there a Cadillac out there somewhere with a Ferrari V-12 in it?
No, but there is a Jeep Wagoneer with one.

Not anymore. It was removed years ago when the older twelves became so valuable. Worst case in recent memory was a wonderfully restored GTE that was purchased for about 100K and had its engine promptly removed to be used as a spare mill for an obscenely weathly "enthusiast" as a spare for his 250 SWB vintage racer.

dimeadozen
dimeadozen Reader
1/5/11 10:08 a.m.
forzav12 wrote: Not anymore. It was removed years ago when the older twelves became so valuable. Worst case in recent memory was a wonderfully restored GTE that was purchased for about 100K and had its engine promptly removed to be used as a spare mill for an obscenely weathly "enthusiast" as a spare for his 250 SWB vintage racer.

Somewhere I have an old kit car annual guide, which features a company making 250GTO rebodies for Datsun Z's. While I realize the bodies are still available, this company was also advertising that they offered a conversion kit to put a genuine Ferrari straight 6 in your Z, or "GTO"- they would also arrange supplying the engine. Apparently at the time, they were available, because owners of the older Ferraris were robbing V8's and V12's from newer models to hot rod their cars.

And yes, I am still determined to find the one dilapidated old Z whose owner fitted the Ferrari 6, but not the GTO body kit. It must be out there !!

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Reader
1/5/11 5:59 p.m.

Yeah, cuz Ferrari built so many of those 1960s car with adjustable steering columns...

David

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ogfi4fB5y4xPX8VbmSav4SKkcEHJpNHYQ4LEvhZTztXhfwAiu5Y1qXTGRaFaEYBV