1 2
carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
1/5/11 9:11 p.m.

SCARED ME TO DEATH! I opened that link and thought that was a typo and it was a 250 GTO! Sure glad it wasn't

I'd tap that! Sure it'd be a lot of work, but when you're through - wow!

I have one of those 250 GTO kits for a Z just sitting in my garage.

I just wouldn't pay $7,600 for that piece of junk. I would move it out of his barn for free tho.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
1/6/11 12:16 a.m.

The 80's-riffic Koenig/Testa gills are the worst part of it. I'd be content to get it running and leave it ratted-out, since a resto would run $150k. Ferrari rat rod FTW.

That was a bad idea even in the 80's, though. No excuse for doing that to a once proud car.

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
1/7/11 12:07 p.m.
dimeadozen wrote:
forzav12 wrote: Not anymore. It was removed years ago when the older twelves became so valuable. Worst case in recent memory was a wonderfully restored GTE that was purchased for about 100K and had its engine promptly removed to be used as a spare mill for an obscenely weathly "enthusiast" as a spare for his 250 SWB vintage racer.
Somewhere I have an old kit car annual guide, which features a company making 250GTO rebodies for Datsun Z's. While I realize the bodies are still available, this company was also advertising that they offered a conversion kit to put a genuine Ferrari straight 6 in your Z, or "GTO"- they would also arrange supplying the engine. Apparently at the time, they were available, because owners of the older Ferraris were robbing V8's and V12's from newer models to hot rod their cars. And yes, I am still determined to find the one dilapidated old Z whose owner fitted the Ferrari 6, but not the GTO body kit. It must be out there !!

The company was Alpha Motors. They did actually have a Ferrari 12 cylinder option. No Ferrarii production straight sixes that I'm aware of. With the value of vintage Ferarri 12s in the stratosphere, any such find would be rare and significant indeed.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
1/7/11 12:45 p.m.
That idiot who can't spell wrote: Since the damage is already done, you might as well have fun with it.

I like your attitude, sir.

aeronca65t
aeronca65t Dork
1/7/11 2:37 p.m.

In the early '70s I had a little part-time job at a foreign car place in Lakewood, NJ. The shop owner bought two of those....both with ratty, beat up bodies. He cut them both in half

.....and welded the frames back together. The "better" halves, apparently. Then added an aluminum sheet body that looked (sort of) like a 917.

I remember we took that thing to Lime Rock and ran it at an SCCA regional. Teething problems, but it was pretty fast. Later on, a friend of mine totaled it. Wish I could find photos of that thing.

dimeadozen
dimeadozen Reader
1/7/11 3:24 p.m.

Oops- sounds like it's time to dig that book out and give it another read.

forzav12 wrote:
dimeadozen wrote:
forzav12 wrote: Not anymore. It was removed years ago when the older twelves became so valuable. Worst case in recent memory was a wonderfully restored GTE that was purchased for about 100K and had its engine promptly removed to be used as a spare mill for an obscenely weathly "enthusiast" as a spare for his 250 SWB vintage racer.
Somewhere I have an old kit car annual guide, which features a company making 250GTO rebodies for Datsun Z's. While I realize the bodies are still available, this company was also advertising that they offered a conversion kit to put a genuine Ferrari straight 6 in your Z, or "GTO"- they would also arrange supplying the engine. Apparently at the time, they were available, because owners of the older Ferraris were robbing V8's and V12's from newer models to hot rod their cars. And yes, I am still determined to find the one dilapidated old Z whose owner fitted the Ferrari 6, but not the GTO body kit. It must be out there !!
The company was Alpha Motors. They did actually have a Ferrari 12 cylinder option. No Ferrarii production straight sixes that I'm aware of. With the value of vintage Ferarri 12s in the stratosphere, any such find would be rare and significant indeed.
Ian F
Ian F Dork
1/7/11 3:33 p.m.

There was a 60's Ferrari with a SBC at Watkins Glen last year - entered in the "Concourse de Lemons" show at the Vintage Festival. While frowned on today, according to the info on the car the conversion was done back when the car was only a few years old and virtually worthless with a blown motor. So a guy bought it and dropped in the 327 (w/ a 4 spd, IIRC) it has to this day. Sort of like when we look at cheap, non-running 308's nowadays and dream of various engines to drop into it.

Monster Toad
Monster Toad Reader
1/7/11 6:05 p.m.

Twofiftagrossa.

That idiot who can't spell
That idiot who can't spell SuperDork
1/7/11 6:25 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
That idiot who can't spell wrote: Since the damage is already done, you might as well have fun with it.
I like your attitude, sir.

That being said I wouldn't pay a third of what it is being auctioned at now. ($7,900 with reserve not met.)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JGf90HgfJpMFuJ4N1eQEpU00PvKI6xsB8NRpl8WwmMQVyYRO2d8dNuJVnLK3kH8g