1 2
andykauf
andykauf New Reader
2/5/20 2:15 p.m.

Looking to start work on my next project car. I'm in Europe so big american engines are not available here (not for cheap).

Only european or japanese engines. And gearboxes to fit (manual boxes). RWD or AWD setup. Factory turbo would be nice but not required (if a turbo can be mounted + the required addons > intercooler, ecu, etc).

Options i thought of so far :

- old volvos (don't know the exact engine codes but old gen ones are pretty sturdy and so are the boxes)

- ford pinto (in the sierra it was rwd and gearbox seems to be ok for bigger torque)

- vag 1.8 or 2.0 t in quattro cars

- 1jz/2jz - not an option due to weak gearboxes (and a proper box will cost more than the engine)

- mitsubishi 4g63t - not an option, not cheap at all

- subaru ej20/25 - not cheap and not as reliable (hard to find a decent one for cheap)

- toyota UZ or VZ engines - seem decent, sturdy, cheap(ish), don't know how much power can their boxes handle

- nissan engines seem to be quite expensive

- BMW / MERC engines - seems like a good option, don't know if i can find a cheap one tho (including the gearbox)

What else? Looking to get at least 250 BHP and if possible, up to 400-500 max (with a fully built engine).

Also if you're in europe and know a good source of cheap engines (junkyard or something), lemme know.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/5/20 2:25 p.m.

Miata 1.8L, specifically the '99-'00 BP-4W. Already comes in a north-south configuration with manual transmissions. The 5-speed is a little weak, but the 6-speed is stronger (good to ~300ish). You can boost the bejeezus out of those engines and they shrug it off because they have thick cast-iron walls. I'm making 245whp on one that is using stock pistons, rods, crank, cams, head, just through a Rotrex blower and a header and exhaust. Also lots of turbo options. If your break the Miata transmission, there is kits to put a BMW 5 or 6-speed behind it, which are good up to like 700-800hp.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/5/20 2:29 p.m.

Also, Honda K-series. Those are becoming very popular in RWD applications and there are kits to back them with either BMW 5- and 6-speeds, as well as Nissan CD009 transmissions. Add boost and you can break 500hp without trying. They're also very common and pretty light and compact.

ztnedman1
ztnedman1 New Reader
2/5/20 2:30 p.m.

Old jag V12?  We have a guy in this forum that is very knowledgeable about them

Ford V6?  Early 2000s jags, not sure about European availability

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/5/20 3:07 p.m.
NickD said:

Also, Honda K-series. Those are becoming very popular in RWD applications and there are kits to back them with either BMW 5- and 6-speeds, as well as Nissan CD009 transmissions. Add boost and you can break 500hp without trying. They're also very common and pretty light and compact.

+1 to these options. The Nissan CD009 is a very long transmission however.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/5/20 3:10 p.m.

I'm looking hard at the VW 2.5 5 cylinder for a plus turbo option to get into those HP levels. 

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
2/5/20 3:15 p.m.

If you can figure out how to bolt it up to a RWD trans, the 3.6 VW VR6 makes 280+ hp without a turbo and makes some pretty cool noises.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/5/20 4:40 p.m.
Stampie said:

I'm looking hard at the VW 2.5 5 cylinder for a plus turbo option to get into those HP levels. 

It will do double to triple the power goal of 250-300hp.  Upgrade rods and pistons, and if you can do it find an early engine with a forged crank (there seems to be no rhyme or reason why some engines got forged and some got cast, it must have just been "this is what was on the shelf today" at the factory.  Pre-07 engines have a higher likelyhood of having a forged crank, at least.

Heck there is a stock 450hp variant.

(edited for clarity, more words)

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE HalfDork
2/5/20 5:12 p.m.

Toyota 1UZs are everywhere, and thanks to Opel you have either the AR5 trans- which can handle north of 600HP per the lexus boys- or the standard W58, a truck transmission that can handle ~300HP.

UZ V8s are alloy blocks known for reliability- 6 bolt mains are standard, the early rods are THICC, and with exhaust port work opens them up like you can't imagine. There's tons of videos- thatdudeinblue has one- of twin turbo 1UZs over 600whp.

ShawnG
ShawnG UltimaDork
2/5/20 6:40 p.m.

I came here expecting John A Prestwich, am disappoint.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/5/20 7:01 p.m.
KyAllroad (Jeremy) said:

If you can figure out how to bolt it up to a RWD trans, the 3.6 VW VR6 makes 280+ hp without a turbo and makes some pretty cool noises.

I remember there was a Miata running a 2.8 VR6 with a turbo that was using a Mazda Turbo II transmission

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
2/5/20 7:18 p.m.

250-300hp at the flywheel, or at the wheels?  What is the application?  Making that power continuously on track is a lot different than making that power for autox or drag strip.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/5/20 7:34 p.m.
ztnedman1 said:

Did any of the S Types V6's come with an auto like the Lincoln did in the US?  That's the engine a South African kit car builder turbocharged (I can't recall their name....)

NickD
NickD PowerDork
2/5/20 8:37 p.m.
alfadriver said:
ztnedman1 said:

Did any of the S Types V6's come with an auto like the Lincoln did in the US?  That's the engine a South African kit car builder turbocharged (I can't recall their name....)

Noble and Rossion both used the boosted Duratec V6, if that's what you are referring to

fatallightning
fatallightning Reader
2/5/20 8:47 p.m.

You get many of the GM ecotec turbo cars? Like Vauxhall vx220s? Otherwise bmw n54s should be plentiful and make 400-500 with bolt ons.

Rocambolesque
Rocambolesque Reader
2/5/20 9:08 p.m.

W124 Merc 300E with DIY turbo setup and standalone ECU. You'll reach your power goals easily and you can keep the rest of the car stock. 

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
2/5/20 9:38 p.m.

Plenty of BMW, Mercedes, and Opel rwd options, especially if you are okay with an inline-6.

andykauf
andykauf New Reader
2/5/20 11:52 p.m.

great options guys, thanks for the input! the car will be for the occassional track day / autox / time attack and it will be a daily driver (i don't do much daily driving but when i do i want it to be fun). has to be decently reliable. having 4 seats would be a huge plus (and i'm kinda tall - so also headroom should be decent) now based on your suggestions, here are some extra qs :

- opel rwd > which engine / box - which platform ?

- merc w124 > definitely on my list but i hear adding a turbo to a stock engine  is kinda complicated (compression ratio is not meant for turbo - or something along those lines)

- bmw > which engine / box ?

- ford v6 / toyota 1uz > yes yes yes, on top of my list - i hear they are reliable... can you add a turbo with the engines stock? how much can the gearboxes hold?

- vr6 amd old jag v12 > pretty expensive and hard to find, although great engines

- miata 1.8 > pocket rocket, great for track day (might buy one eventually) but only 2 seats and not enough headroom for me with the top up

MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION : WHICH ONE IS THE CHEAPEST (and cheapest to run > parts, maintenance, etc)

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
2/6/20 12:25 a.m.

For track use, I think a NA BMW is going to be one of the most reliable options on this list.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy UberDork
2/6/20 1:10 a.m.

Opel/Vauxhall Omega or their longer sedan Senator/Carlton versions are pretty low cost to run, and there are plenty ov engine options. The older Rekords and Mantas are sportier cars but my understanding is that nice ones are getting hard to find and prices are going up. If you find an old Diplomat it probably came with a Chevy small block and the sky is the limit for power. 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke UltraDork
2/6/20 7:02 a.m.

The RWD Volvo transmissions don't hold up for very long above 250whp iirc. They're also probably the worst shifting of the transmissions on your list.

With proper driving technique and mechanical sympathy I think the vast majority of the transmissions listed will hold up to those power levels for a while.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/6/20 7:37 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

For track use, I think a NA BMW is going to be one of the most reliable options on this list.

This. 

Pick an E36/E46 engine/transmission combo and get to having fun.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
2/6/20 9:26 a.m.

In reply to ShawnG :

I don't think John A Prestwich ever made 200 HPsurprise

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
2/6/20 10:18 a.m.
clutchsmoke said:

The RWD Volvo transmissions don't hold up for very long above 250whp iirc. They're also probably the worst shifting of the transmissions on your list.

This.  Though being in Europe, you can find the venerable M90 manual that we never got in the States, mated to the Redblock.

Furthermore, if you want to swap a better transmission into your Turbo Brick, there are several options, T5, BMW Getrag, and CD009.

I've got a '76 242 "build," really just a parts collection.  I picked up a really cheap Mazda RX7 Turbo II equivalent transmission from a B2600i, I was going to adapt to a Redblock, but the CD009 is so cheap, prevalent, and the adapter is cheap enough that I'm probably going to go with a CD009 instead.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE HalfDork
2/6/20 10:42 a.m.

In reply to andykauf :

Sounds like you'll likely run a BMW of some kind.

As for the 1UZ, again the W-series hold 300-350 depending on aggression but are truck transmissions through and through. The AR5 was used in the Opel GT in Euro land and can take 500 easy, but I'm not sure of other cars to find it in.

You can turbo a 1UZ stock- look at "The Skid Factory" turbo Ford Fairmont build where he does one. Mind you however, the engine is BIG and adding a turbo will just make it larger and more complex, and UZs need head work to really be opened up. You can get cams for them, but they're gonna cost you unlike LS stuff here in the states.

As for cheapest to run? Depends on too many modifiers, but you need to look at engines that aren't very stressed from the factory (which is the UZ in spades), has a good strong aftermarket, and has a known cooling system that's had the kinks worked out. For your fun times with occasional track days and street fun, I'd suggest going naturally aspirated instead of turbo unless the engine you got was boosted from the factory.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BIYpZVpLDFYy5AtF7QW3I6G4DAfqJzShYJdgcawtUWCcjwibw36BoWOuqY0lqIOW