1 2

I was over on the Maverick Truck Club forums and ran across a thread where someone upgraded their rear view mirror. They used a Kia auto dimming mirror with Homelink and compass. They were able to source it online for about $20. This mirror is pretty universal and only needs a 12v source to work.

Just search for part number 2T062-ADU01. I was able to find it at a Kia parts house for about $12 plus about $8 for shipping. I'm going to put it in my Santa Fe but will probably buy another when my Maverick gets built. Figured I'd share it you all since I feel its GRM worthy (aka cheap).

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/30/23 11:49 a.m.

Maybe a better option for the one in our old beater Merc wagon.  Ours just flops around and won't stay in one spot so I'm sure the inside ball mount is worn out. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/30/23 12:03 p.m.

Dude, that's cheap. I've been wanting an auto-dim mirror for the Volt, looks like I'll give this one a shot. I didn't even notice the homelink part until after ordering it. The funny thing is the second match on Google is someone trying to get $361.82 for one on eBay. Free shipping, though; that makes it a great deal.

Thanks for posting.

So it looks like Kia might have discontinued that part number. A number of online parts houses show it as discontinued.

A7062-ADUP1 is an alternate part number that might be easier to find.

Cheap upgrades FTW!

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia UltraDork
1/30/23 12:21 p.m.

How does the compass work ?

I could not find a photo showing it working , just wondering  if I can read it without my reading glasses !

In reply to californiamilleghia :

Not my pic but shows the compass.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/30/23 1:16 p.m.

This may be a great deal if you live nearby, shipping to Canada is brutal though:

https://www.kia.parts/oem-parts/kia-ec-mirror-w-compass-a7062adup1

Edit: Ordered one for a bit over $50 with shipping...still not terrible considering that the more purpose-built options for a Toyobaru run from $120-$500.

Blunder
Blunder New Reader
1/30/23 1:39 p.m.

In reply to californiamilleghia :

I put a Saturn Vue auto dimming/compass mirror in my Ion Redline years ago and the compass feature just needs to be calibrated. I don't remember the exact procedure but it was pretty simple. I believe it just required holding a button down for a few seconds and then driving in circles in a parking lot....if I'm remembering correctly. 

Trent
Trent PowerDork
1/30/23 3:52 p.m.

Because my pile of future projects wasn't spilling over enough I placed an order through a Kia dealership for one using the first part number. They emailed me right back saying 2T062-ADU01 was NLA and that A7062-ADUP1 was a direct replacement. Still the same price. 

No idea what I'm gonna do with it. It is way too modern looking for most of my cars.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/30/23 4:00 p.m.

In reply to Trent :

I'm sure you could find a way to rehouse it. Now I'm wondering about retrofitting it to my Vanagon.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/30/23 4:04 p.m.

i just ordered 2 because i felt like the cost ratio of parts to shipping was off by only ordering 1.  gonna throw one in the 2010 saab 9-3 and the other one in the E92.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/30/23 4:16 p.m.

I do like an auto-dimming mirror in my modern van, but flipping the lever in my old cars isn't that difficult.

I have been looking at back-up camera mirrors for my E350 conversion van as the view through the back door windows is so high up whatever you see is about a quarter mile behind.  And eventually, those door windows will be blocked entirely. This would be a backup camera that would stay on full-time with the only change when in reverse would be the guide-lines would turn on.  I typically travel with GPS running anyway, so a compass feature isn't necessary. 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/30/23 4:21 p.m.

I couldn't resist, ordered two. One for my truck and one for a future project which will inevitably be another 90's E36 M3box. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/30/23 4:40 p.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

Problem with having to manually flip the mirror is that you've already taken a shot to the eyeballs by the time you adjust the mirror.

There are systems out there that use cameras in place of mirrors, they work well for vans with limited/no rear visibility. They're often combined with a dash cam and some recording ability. A coworker has one in his Vanagon.

Stuff like this (not a recommendation, just a high search result for a product of the type): https://www.amazon.com/WOLFBOX-Mirror-Backup-Camera-Screen/dp/B0811Q28N6

Trent
Trent PowerDork
1/30/23 4:55 p.m.

I didn't realize my R55 Clubman had the feature until I saw it happen and it was one of those "Well no E36 M3, that was awesome" moments. If it is simple and lightweight addition I can't see a drawback to adding it.

It makes sense. I have been using autodarkening welding helmets for 25 years, it is about time that tech made it to something new

Trent said:

Because my pile of future projects wasn't spilling over enough I placed an order through a Kia dealership for one using the first part number. They emailed me right back saying 2T062-ADU01 was NLA and that A7062-ADUP1 was a direct replacement. Still the same price. 

No idea what I'm gonna do with it. It is way too modern looking for most of my cars.

I received the same email from the dealer I bought from. It was the same price so I told them to go ahead and order the alternate part number. Shortly after that I received another email stating it shipped. I might have to buy another for the Tahoe.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 UltraDork
1/30/23 7:56 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Problem with having to manually flip the mirror is that you've already taken a shot to the eyeballs by the time you adjust the mirror.

There are systems out there that use cameras in place of mirrors, they work well for vans with limited/no rear visibility. They're often combined with a dash cam and some recording ability. A coworker has one in his Vanagon.

Stuff like this (not a recommendation, just a high search result for a product of the type): https://www.amazon.com/WOLFBOX-Mirror-Backup-Camera-Screen/dp/B0811Q28N6

I'm getting one of those wolfbox mirrors for my son's 99 4runner and the classic mini project. Backup cameras are now indispensable to me. Not totally sold on the fwd dash cam yet, but it comes with that too, and can't hurt. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/31/23 9:08 a.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) :

You can grab any Auto dimming one of any 9-3 or 9-5 you find in the JY.  Our 05 vert had a manual mirror that I swapped with a 9-5 one, even had the connector stashed up by the mount in the car.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/31/23 9:51 a.m.

In reply to Trent :

The R52 convertible had an auto-dimming mirror, but due to the interior design of the car, it didn't always work.  When the top was down, the line of sight to the sensor was often just blocked by the retracted top.  If we had the factory wind deflector in place, it completely blocked the sensor. 

In my minivan, I usually don't notice it working. I do notice when it doesn't work. This is usually at dusk when ambient light is bright enough to keep the sensor from activating, but I'll have drivers behind me with hi-beams on.  Like the MINI, it made me with for a switch that would force the dimmer to activate. Instead, the switch just turns the dimming feature off, which is exactly opposite of what I need.

The only other vehicle I've had with one was my '95 Cummins. Considering the "constructed" nature of the truck, I always thought it was amazing that feature worked (since few others did...). I knew when it was activated because it was one of the older styles that tinted green when dimmed. 

I know there are a lot of options for full-time cameras. Unfortunately, I'm some time away from needing to chose one.  Like getting the big SOB to start reliably and not drain the batteries if it sits for more than two days. 

triumph7
triumph7 HalfDork
1/31/23 10:12 a.m.

FWIW, I have yet to find an auto dimming mirror that was worth a _______.  When I drive my wife's CX5 there is a 50/50 chance that I am just going to turn the stupid thing to point at the passenger window.

On a related subject, I've started wearing an old pair of my Tifosi cycling glasses with the yellow lenses at night.  They really held against the over-bright, over white, retina burning headlights.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/31/23 9:03 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I get in when it is dark, I immediacy turn the mirror to nighttime use. Same when it starts to get dark, soon as I turn the headlights on, I flip the little handle.  I do not constantly switch it back and forth.

dps214
dps214 Dork
1/31/23 11:15 p.m.

The one in my VW seems good, I haven't noticed it not work yet. I honestly was kind of wondering if it just goes dark as soon as the headlights turn on or something like that.

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/31/23 11:17 p.m.

I've adored auto dim mirrors ever since my first in a 1989 Range Rover. The rest of that thing was a pile of E36 M3 but the mirror was awesome. My favorite part is that they're much more usable at night than a regular flip mirror. You can actually see things in them. A flip mirror is pretty much headlights and nothing else. I've never run across one that didn't work well for me. 

Trent
Trent PowerDork
2/3/23 5:19 p.m.

It's here. It's ugly and It's Chonky.

Would it be fine in an old muscle car? Sure. My 80's VW? Maybe? Maybe not.

It is around 125% bigger than what I was hoping to replace.. Not bad. Definitely too big for the mini or the Fiat

It is fat

Which might not let it adjust far enough away from my head. 

Comes with a pigtail harness and some bits

If I can't make it work in the Rabbit it will likely end up in the missus Soul

iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/3/23 5:31 p.m.

I ordered 3. I don't know what I'll use them for but I'll have them!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qCVMns34lRdkPaIIgCd5GbVtrlK2sqcONpCcDGw3RkhbsPGLYOHTJZC5oOEy67BL