Go.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
2/6/09 7:19 a.m.

swap meets + 350 chevy = i win

RossD
RossD PowerDork
2/6/09 7:23 a.m.

big block chevy and a junk yard turbos. if it blows up go back to the junk yard and get some more chevy parts. it's not even close to sexy though, but it sure would be cheap. along similar lines a '70 cadillac 500cid with '76 heads make it high compression (iirc); now you got more then the original 400hp/550ft-lb that it was rated for.

Raze
Raze UltraDork
2/6/09 7:24 a.m.
Apexcarver wrote: 350 chevy

x(infinity)

::Thread Closed::

(j/k)

Teqnyck
Teqnyck Reader
2/6/09 8:40 a.m.

On the import side of things, Mazda 1.8 bp motor is it for cheap speed. Junkyard one run you 200-400, post mid-91 gets you the big nose crank, and you can turbo or spray the piss out of them. I made right around 320 whp on a stock block with a factory main cap girdle for the better portion of a year, no problems really except for an axle and blown off i/c lines.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/6/09 9:12 a.m.
Teqnyck wrote: On the import side of things, Mazda 1.8 bp motor is it for cheap speed. Junkyard one run you 200-400, post mid-91 gets you the big nose crank, and you can turbo or spray the piss out of them. I made right around 320 whp on a stock block with a factory main cap girdle for the better portion of a year, no problems really except for an axle and blown off i/c lines.

This or:

Honda B18B (LS). I can't count the number of them around here with basic turbo setups putting out over 300whp for peanuts.

Toyota 2JZGE. They show up in salvage yards from time to time, you can walk out with a fully dressed one for under $500, and hell, it's a 2jz, they're crazy under boost.

Toyota 5vzfe/3vzfe. Overbuilt tanks that will take anything you throw at them. Perfect for a boosted application.

Toyota 1uzfe. Same as above, but a 4.0 litre v8.

And can't argue with a 350.

Teqnyck, how much spray will a BP really tolerate? I ask because i have an EGT w/ a BP, and happen to have a nice Zex wet kit lying around....

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Reader
2/6/09 9:14 a.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kfjpc75cTg&NR=1

44Dwarf
44Dwarf Reader
2/6/09 9:19 a.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-spt7y1v6Y&feature=related

Monkeywrench
Monkeywrench Reader
2/6/09 9:20 a.m.

460ci Ford with a homemade twin turbo set up.. Not sure if it will be cheap to keep the rest of the drivetrain together though.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/09 9:28 a.m.

In order:

350 Chevy. Any issue of Car Craft or Hot Rod the last 50 years will show you how to build one for stupid cheap. 400+ HP N/A is actually hard NOT to do.

LSx Chevy (talking about the 5.3 and 6.0 truck motors). Can be bought complete from LKQ for under $1500. Add a cam and get 400HP with 25MPG.

302/5.0 Ford. They are all over craigslist for under $300 and can make huge power on boost or spray. Stroker kit away from big N/A power.

360 AMC. Nobody bothers because they are AMC's yet they were in every Wagoneer from 72-91 and dozens of other cars. Junkyards have them for $200 and they make 285HP/365FtLbs stock. Add a cam, intake, and 4Bbl for an easy 375HP with over 500Ft Lbs.

Dodge 2.2 Turbo stuff. These engines have been forgotten by the new stuff but they still make insane power and are found in junkyards across the country. Well proven.

Rotary. 12A's are getting tough to find, but 13B's are still out there, and now Renesis 13B's are showing up. Add boost and go nuts.

The best bet for cheap speed is still V8. No matter what you start with you can call Summit or Jeg's and make 400+ HP at the end of the day for next to nothing.

RXBeetle
RXBeetle Reader
2/6/09 9:31 a.m.

Mazda 13B, bridge port, Holset turbo, Megasquirt. If you aren't making over 400hp you're doing it wrong. The fuel cost will make a LS9 look cheap though.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/6/09 9:37 a.m.

5.3 LSx truck engine = $300

flip manifolds over, build turbo system = huge power

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/6/09 10:12 a.m.
P71 wrote: 360 AMC. Nobody bothers because they are AMC's yet they were in every Wagoneer from 72-91 and dozens of other cars. Junkyards have them for $200 and they make 285HP/365FtLbs stock. Add a cam, intake, and 4Bbl for an easy 375HP with over 500Ft Lbs.

I always wondered about those..... thanks for the info!

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
2/6/09 10:13 a.m.
RXBeetle wrote: Mazda 13B, bridge port, Holset turbo, Megasquirt. If you aren't making over 400hp you're doing it wrong. The fuel cost will make a LS9 look cheap though.

This wasn't anything that i would have thought of, but this is my favorite so far.

High powered rotaries are the coolest engines ever.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
2/6/09 10:14 a.m.

cheapest is whatever you can get free

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 New Reader
2/6/09 10:16 a.m.

Turbo Rotary.
You don't even need a bridge port for 400 HP.
Stock ports or street port and the right turbo (GT35, T04, T40 etc) and tuning and you're there.

Other option is the LS1 or 350 small block.

EricM
EricM HalfDork
2/6/09 10:22 a.m.

Quick question, how much boost an you put a Chevy Small bloxk 350 and expect it to last through the summer?

Teqnyck
Teqnyck New Reader
2/6/09 10:25 a.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote:
Teqnyck wrote: On the import side of things, Mazda 1.8 bp motor is it for cheap speed. Junkyard one run you 200-400, post mid-91 gets you the big nose crank, and you can turbo or spray the piss out of them. I made right around 320 whp on a stock block with a factory main cap girdle for the better portion of a year, no problems really except for an axle and blown off i/c lines.
This or: Honda B18B (LS). I can't count the number of them around here with basic turbo setups putting out over 300whp for peanuts. Toyota 2JZGE. They show up in salvage yards from time to time, you can walk out with a fully dressed one for under $500, and hell, it's a 2jz, they're crazy under boost. Toyota 5vzfe/3vzfe. Overbuilt tanks that will take anything you throw at them. Perfect for a boosted application. Toyota 1uzfe. Same as above, but a 4.0 litre v8. And can't argue with a 350. Teqnyck, how much spray will a BP really tolerate? I ask because i have an EGT w/ a BP, and happen to have a nice Zex wet kit lying around....

75 wet easy, 100 wet well tuned I have seen before. That EGT is just beggin for boost, it's criminal not to.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/6/09 10:32 a.m.

forgot one. 69-71 472/500 cadillac.

i had a 70 472 in a 88 silverado, 365hp/535tq or something crazy like that in stock form. all it was good at was needing more traction.

Travis_K
Travis_K Reader
2/6/09 10:34 a.m.

I would add vw 16v with a turbo, and although they seem to be strongly disliked here, 2.3 turbo fords will make at least as much power as a turbo dodge. Skip the big block chevy for a cheap junkyard engine, the heads on any of them you will be finding in the junkyard are crap, they are actually slower stock than a 350 in a similar vehicle.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 HalfDork
2/6/09 10:55 a.m.
Teqnyck wrote:
93celicaGT2 wrote:
This or: Honda B18B (LS). I can't count the number of them around here with basic turbo setups putting out over 300whp for peanuts. Toyota 2JZGE. They show up in salvage yards from time to time, you can walk out with a fully dressed one for under $500, and hell, it's a 2jz, they're crazy under boost. Toyota 5vzfe/3vzfe. Overbuilt tanks that will take anything you throw at them. Perfect for a boosted application. Toyota 1uzfe. Same as above, but a 4.0 litre v8. And can't argue with a 350. Teqnyck, how much spray will a BP really tolerate? I ask because i have an EGT w/ a BP, and happen to have a nice Zex wet kit lying around....
75 wet easy, 100 wet well tuned I have seen before. That EGT is just beggin for boost, it's criminal not to.

Yeah... the problem with boosting it at this minute is that it's really the girlfriend's car. She drives it most days while i tolerate (barely) driving my gutted and caged and slammed celica around Indiana potholes.

I will probably get another one just to boost, seeing as there are tons of people boosting this thing to great results for under $500. But that'll be down the road.

The 75 wet is great info, i appreciate it. Is a 100 wet just a colder plug, take out timing, and a better fuel pump away?

noisycricket
noisycricket Reader
2/6/09 11:33 a.m.

Whatever you are familiar with.

I see guys making 400hp with a turbo and a stock 2-liter 16v VW engine with doubled head gaskets and ARP head studs. Depending on how much you can junkyard, that's awesome.

On the other hand 400hp is something you just about fall over with an LS motor... but the price of entry is higher.

I love rotaries because you can take 'em apart, port them, and put 'em back together for stupid-little money, but it's easy to get it wrong, too. A guy on rx7club went from 206whp to 180whp to 230whp on a street ported 13B, mostly with changing the header design but also a little intake tuning as well. They are definitely not "recipe" motors where you add part X and part Y and make Z power.

neon4891
neon4891 MegaDork
2/6/09 11:46 a.m.
ignorant wrote: cheapest is whatever you can get free

Only down side is free can becone VERY exspensive, VERY quikly

Teqnyck
Teqnyck New Reader
2/6/09 11:57 a.m.

The 75 wet is great info, i appreciate it. Is a 100 wet just a colder plug, take out timing, and a better fuel pump away?

It's a good start for sure. I would definately start small and work up to your way up, keeping supporting mods in mind. But that's an obvious thing to say because it applies to any project car.

Another underrated mazda engine is the f2t from the first gen Mx6GT and ProbeGT. 2.2 turbo, very very powerful.

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
2/6/09 12:23 p.m.

I think i posted this before:

460 Ford. About $1500 to make over 500 hp and 700 lb ft of torque. No turbos or supercharger. Just old fashioned N/A power.

I really want to put one in a lighter car, like a Mustang II or RX7. ;)

1 2 3 ... 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JVJGN7FwRJ9eU8iS74DP7QJ6h0O4dcoeYLvZHRhbMpa08Aj3n3HdkqHGnWEahsEk