1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/14/17 10:49 a.m.
feature_image

The ChumpCar World Series has a new name: the ChampCar Endurance Series. “When our name was created, it was intended to be funny and show that we weren’t taking ourselves too seriously,” explains Michael Chisek, the group’s president and chief operating officer. “Unfortunately, the name was a bit of a turnoff to many.

“We heard from many members who were …

Read the rest of the story

NickD
NickD UltraDork
12/14/17 10:50 a.m.

Reminds me of when GM declared that the Uplander wasn't a minivan, it was a class of vehicle called a midvan.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
12/14/17 11:43 a.m.

This is pretty funny - they went from parodying the ChampCar name to actually using it.

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 HalfDork
12/14/17 12:52 p.m.

I don't know that I've ever been embarrassed to say I race Lemons...but around here, people are going to assume that it involves dirt, a fair amount of contact, and lots of turning left no matter what you call it.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
12/14/17 1:42 p.m.

Im ok with the change but also ok pointing out the great irony ad nauseam and also ok pointing out the #firstworldproblems -ness of having the freedom (financial, and otherwise) to be able to go road-racing over and over and yet also feeling like your life isn't complete unless everyone you mention it to doesn't have some sort of instantly positive reaction to it. Good lord. 

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
12/14/17 1:49 p.m.
Vigo said:

Im ok with the change but also ok pointing out the great irony ad nauseam and also ok pointing out the #firstworldproblems -ness of having the freedom (financial, and otherwise) to be able to go road-racing over and over and yet also feeling like your life isn't complete unless everyone you mention it to doesn't have some sort of instantly positive reaction to it. Good lord. 

Hahaha.  This was generally my take on it as well.  

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
12/14/17 1:53 p.m.

Now they just need to get PPG, Fedex, and Bridgestone to sponsor them.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/14/17 2:29 p.m.

Already got a tire sponsor.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
12/14/17 2:43 p.m.

You know you're taking your racing too seriously if you're embarrassed by a jokey name. Good lord. It's not like it's "the 24 hours of butt plugs" or something.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
12/14/17 3:48 p.m.

wait until they split off a sprint series or something and call it the Independant Racing League, IRL

Durty
Durty New Reader
12/14/17 6:13 p.m.

In reply to dculberson  "24 hours of buttplugs":

new sponsor idea for a lemons entry. Need sponsorship from Adam and Eve or something. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
12/14/17 6:18 p.m.
gearheadE30 said:

I don't know that I've ever been embarrassed to say I race Lemons...but around here, people are going to assume that it involves dirt, a fair amount of contact, and lots of turning left no matter what you call it.

One of the frustrating things for me:  "I'm roadracing in Edmonton next weekend."  "Oh. Is that the gravel jumpy racing?"  "No, its on pavement, but we turn left AND right."

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
12/15/17 12:36 p.m.

I thought the name was Kinda "Chumpy" and had no Interest.  Now I have a Car and Can't wait. I prefer racing a Venue where you can get a return on your Work, Cash.  But I can't afford a Late model and Man they look like they are Having FUN. "Cause Racing ain't Fun ,Racing is a lot of WORK, Winning is Fun!

wvumtnbkr
12/15/17 12:58 p.m.
dculberson said:

You know you're taking your racing too seriously if you're embarrassed by a jokey name. Good lord. It's not like it's "the 24 hours of butt plugs" or something.

Why not take the racing seriously?

I could care less what they call it.  I just want to go out and win!

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/15/17 1:00 p.m.
trigun7469 said:

Now they just need to get PPG, Fedex, and Bridgestone to sponsor them.

can they get Krylon and Bondo?

JBasham
JBasham Reader
12/15/17 2:07 p.m.
gearheadE30 said:

I had been doing DEs for a couple years before anybody in my family realized I wasn't driving on ovals.

HapDL
HapDL New Reader
12/15/17 5:13 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

I thought Chump and Lemons were less about winning and more about having fun.  When people get all serious about winning E36 M3 stops being fun.

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
12/15/17 6:36 p.m.

In reply to HapDL :

yea, money takes out the Fun,  If we can convince the Hookers that were just Having Fun, Maybe they won't charge..........so much!    

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
12/15/17 6:59 p.m.
wvumtnbkr said:
dculberson said:

Why not take the racing seriously?

I could care less what they call it.  I just want to go out and win!

Taking anything so seriously you aren't enjoying it is a mistake. And not being able to laugh at the name is a sign you're taking yourself and the racing too seriously!!

besides this ain't f1. It ain't even NASCAR. Chumpcar was a good and fitting name. 

wvumtnbkr
12/15/17 7:27 p.m.
HapDL said:

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

I thought Chump and Lemons were less about winning and more about having fun.  When people get all serious about winning E36 M3 stops being fun.

Nope.  Lemons is a mechanics Halloween party that a race occurs during.  I love lemons!

Chump is very serious for the front runners.  Fast cars are doing 2:15 at Watkins Glen.

Chump, now champcar is as serious as the big boys with less cost.

Winning is everything put that time and effort and strategy into a midpack finish ain't fun.

If people are not into it because it is too serious, that's what lemons is specifically made for.  I love lemons and have done about 20 lemons races.  Good times!

Lemons is a party.  Champcar is a race.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
12/16/17 6:36 a.m.
Durty said:

new sponsor idea for a lemons entry. Need sponsorship from Adam and Eve or something. 

As someone who has flagged a few lemons races (back when they were at summit point).

I have had to call in a Family Truckster fo venting underpants onto a hot course.  Had to call in a car for venting beer cans morning of day 2.  

Theres got to be some point that gets reached where the absurdity of the calls must reach SOME limits, I think raining buttplugs might just finally find that line...  Plus, it would bring a entirely new and more disturbing visual connotation to the meatball flag....

(and because I know they are on here, I'll include, "the boat is moored over at station xx, AGAIN"

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
12/16/17 9:34 a.m.

In reply to Apexcarver :

I was one of the boat pilots! It was surprisingly fun to race. 

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltraDork
12/18/17 8:35 a.m.

Would totally race 24 Hours of Butt Plugs.  

wvumtnbkr
12/18/17 11:35 a.m.
Apexcarver said:
Durty said:

As someone who has flagged a few lemons races (back when they were at summit point).

I have had to call in a Family Truckster fo venting underpants onto a hot course.  Had to call in a car for venting beer cans morning of day 2.  

Theres got to be some point that gets reached where the absurdity of the calls must reach SOME limits, I think raining buttplugs might just finally find that line...  Plus, it would bring a entirely new and more disturbing visual connotation to the meatball flag....

(and because I know they are on here, I'll include, "the boat is moored over at station xx, AGAIN"

We did every lemons summit race.  We even won the last one.

There were some serious parties that changed the rules nationwide!  Sooo much fun!

Cactus
Cactus Reader
12/23/17 6:16 p.m.

I know some people that will be pissed at this. To the IRL faithful, Champcar is a sordid word. Some of these people thew empty beer cans at me when I walked by wearing a Chumpcar shirt. When I pointed out it what it actually said, they laughed and started lobbing cold, full ones my way.

The only way to keep cheap racing cheap is to have a claim rule and let a guy named Jay dish out penalty laps if your car looks screwy.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
a27IUNWEle2fi49z1D41Mz0TiyUooWdZgSOvxcI4hw0uMStAvIuW2sw1cNyKcEBh