1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/2/20 8:04 a.m.

Story by David S. Wallens • Photograph Courtesy Subaru

Picture a landscape before the WRX existed. No turbos, no flared fenders, no 300-horsepower engines right from the dealer.

Such were the years before 2002. Okay, true, Subaru offered the WRX in other markets dating back to 1992, but, as usual, American enthusiasts missed out. Here, we knew Subarus as inexpensive and …

Read the rest of the story

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ PowerDork
4/2/20 8:12 a.m.

Side note- want to know whether these things can really throw down on a rally stage?  Here are the results from Southern Ohio Forest Rally 2019 where Kimmett won overall in a relatively low-prep 2.5RS.  That's not just a class win, that's him beating every turbo/large displacement/space frame/whatever car that entered the event.

David S. Wallens
4/2/20 8:22 a.m.

My wife and I came close to buying a new one but wound up with a 2000 Civic Si instead. Neither would have been a wrong answer. 

And now I hear Judge Reinhold's voice. 

camaroz1985
camaroz1985 HalfDork
4/2/20 8:47 a.m.

I loved mine!!!

I did everything with that car from daily drive and road trips, track days, autocross and hillclimb.  The previous owner (original owner who had the cage installed while it was still leased) did some ice racing as well.  Never did any rally or rallycross (but the guy who bought it from me did). 

Of course when the original motor blew after about 160k of abuse I swapped in a 2007 WRX engine, and then the STi turbo, then broke the trans, then upgraded that, and on and on.  Still the only car I regret selling. 

ROBERT TRANCHANT
ROBERT TRANCHANT
4/2/20 10:56 a.m.

I loved mine too!!

Like camaroz1985 said, I did everything with my 2001 2.5RS from daily drives, HPDE's, race kart hauler, trips to spectate the USGP, rennsport reunion 2001, etc. I had great fun with my suby. Racked up 100,000 miles with no problems before I sold it.

It was also shown in Grassroots Motorsports magazine on two occasions.

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
4/2/20 12:57 p.m.

Part of me wishes I had never driven my friend's WRX & thought I needed a turbo, and just kept Subarust.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
4/2/20 1:47 p.m.

I've only driven the original 2.5 once; a friend had one and I ended up as his instructor. Really fun car, so much so that 2 years ago we found our son a very clean 05 2.5RS. Still a great car, sure they lack the oomph of a WRX but they are still just as fun to drive.

Pete. (Forum Supporter)
Pete. (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/2/20 5:01 p.m.

GC 2.5RS is best Subaru.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/2/20 7:11 p.m.

BITD our local G-Stock class consisted of a 2.5RS, Celica All-Trac, me in (Jason Saini's old) Corrado, and a Neon ACR sedan. It was always a toss-up over who would land in 1st place, and the most fun I've ever had autocrossing. 

David S. Wallens
4/2/20 8:06 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

You have one of Jason's old cars? That is so rad. 

preach
preach GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/2/20 8:14 p.m.

I had one in 2006. It was a '99 2 door that Dent Sport Garage out of MA built. Tein Coilovers and the better part of the SPG catalog thrown at it. CF hood, suspension braces...tons of goodies.

Shortly after I got it it was damaged in a hail storm in NH. Dimples make a golfball more aero right?!?

I ended up buying it back from the insurance company after I got rear-ended leaving work. $160.

Sold it to a friend who took it Hilclimbing in VT. First race it surpassed the break-out time for a rollcage. BOT was the time it took a stock STI to get up the hill. My car was way faster.

So he puts a cage in it and a non sunroof roof, next race he promptly rolls it down a 100' hill and completes the totaling of the chassis. Pretty sure he bolted all the goodies to a WRX and is still racing.

That car was a blast to drive. It was a weapon in the snow with snow tires on it And it was faster around a certain turn near my house than my Cayman S.

It lived a damn unlucky life though.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UltimaDork
4/2/20 8:20 p.m.

Brian Long has the best books.  His Subaru one is great with history.  I drool a lot.   

Raszaron
Raszaron
4/5/20 6:23 p.m.

Love my 2000 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS coupe.  It had the quarter rot, and needed some care when I bought it, no it is my race car!

@raszaron

#22_1NA_B

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/5/20 7:42 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to Pete Gossett :

You have one of Jason's old cars? That is so rad. 

Had. I bought it from him around 2001 & sold it back to him a couple years later. Somehow the only repair I had to do was replace the TPS sensor. I may be the luckiest Corrado owner ever. 

newold_m (Forum Supporter)
newold_m (Forum Supporter) New Reader
4/5/20 10:00 p.m.

Such a timeless design.  A number of years ago there was a company north of San Francisco (LIC Motorsports) doing full STi swaps in them and getting through carb smog. Sadly looks like those threads/photos all have broken links

A real Japanese icon.  The look of these cars has aged well.  If I had the room for one.

Sidewayze
Sidewayze New Reader
4/6/20 9:53 p.m.

I test drove one in the Yukon in 1998.  That led to me getting a new.2.2 wagon in 2001.  AGX's, Whiteline springs and rear bar, and that car was my daily, and autocross car.  With that setup, the balance was wonderful. Stock springs made it an awesome rallycrosser.  It was so fun.  Turning was just, turn the wheel a little bit in the direction you want to go, lift the throttle a bit, let the back come around until you find the slide angle you want, then straighten the wheel and get on the gas.  

Owned it for 15 years, and still miss that car. 

engiekev
engiekev Reader
4/7/20 9:38 a.m.

They sure are the best looking Subarus! But I stay far away, too much rust prone panels, terrrible engine, but at least the drivetrain is decent.  It seems like all the decent ones are snatched up immediately for rally shells. There are only so many decent shells left.

Importing a JDM WRX from that era is appealing now, this fellow is restoring one:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B81Lvfvn-Cm/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

bluescooby
bluescooby Reader
4/7/20 9:43 a.m.

Love them!  I've had two, one of which was purchased new in 2001.  Cool little cars...

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/7/20 11:42 a.m.

while I always liked the 2.5 RS, I really wanted an outback Sport. unfortunately at the time my car had just died and I needed a new one "right now" and a hyundai tiburon became my new steed. 

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
4/7/20 3:36 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

My wife and I came close to buying a new one but wound up with a 2000 Civic Si instead. Neither would have been a wrong answer. 

That's exactly the same two vehicles I cross shopped. I ended up ordering a silver 1999 2.5RS with out even sitting in one as there weren't any available to drive. I remember test driving the Civic Si. That was  back in the day when dealers just let you take it out on a test drive all by yourself. My son was with me and I made sure we experienced the VTEC as often and as long as possible.  Since my son and I were both big Subaru WRC fans the Subie won out. That in fact started my string of Subaru purchases that is still going on today.  It was a great car but terribly slow for it's looks.  

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/1/21 8:05 a.m.

If anyone sees a clean reasonably priced one, I'd be interested. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/1/21 8:55 a.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

If anyone sees a clean reasonably priced one, I'd be interested. 

They were $bank years ago and they are only getting more expensive.  GD 2.5RS is like 75% of the car for 50% of the price.

Just leaving this here.

This is Miles.  This is from the 2013 Nationals when he and I went with his 2.5RS.  (This is from the practice course)  He wanted to buy this photo from the photographer,  but the SCCA bought it first, so he wasn't allowed to...

(epilogue: he rallycrosses an NB now. Miata is always the answer)

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/1/21 5:21 p.m.

I already have a GD, but if I'm going to upgrade one I'd think a GC would be wiser.  I may just get a GD WRX too, since upgrading it will always be cheaper since it's a better starting point.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xhuyYoyGYpZs5xvz5NrEouxcD5Mzuu3G39biZm5LQBBrLPiWM54Mh5mCDzPWNCxs