1 2
Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/9/22 5:01 p.m.

Hello, all!

The Coatesville Invitational Vintage Grand Prix is back!  17 September 2022, in Coatesville, eastern PA.

Brandywine Motorsport Club is once again providing driving event management for this vintage car spectacular on the Streets of Coatesville course.  It's a huge amount of fun, with race cars and motorcycles from the mid-'70s all the way back to the 1920s.  There is no wheel-to-wheel racing per se, but it is a fantastic showcase to exhibit your vintage race car, sports car, or motorcycle at speed.  Public attendance is strong and enthusiastic.

Preregistration info and details will follow, but we're offering morning and afternoon hot lapping sessions for each group.  Last year we had 3 car groups and 2 motorcycle groups; final grouping will depend on preregistration numbers.  Entry fee is expected to be $200 for cars and $150 for motorcycles.

We will need flaggers, grid workers, and volunteers on the night before and/or day of the event, which will get you up close with a lit of really cool machinery.  Last year, we gave a variety of perks to our volunteers; the package hasn't been determined yet but will definitely include lunch and a t-shirt.

Please stay tuned for details!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/9/22 5:09 p.m.

Here are a few samples from last year:

May be an image of car and outdoors

May be an image of one or more people, people riding motorcycles, motorcycle and outdoors

May be an image of car and road

May be an image of outdoors

May be an image of one or more people and outdoors

stroker
stroker UberDork
5/9/22 5:15 p.m.

What kind of car is #54, above...?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/9/22 5:19 p.m.

And some pit shots.  Previous years have included genuine Shelby Daytona Coupes, Porsche 906s, and other rarities.

This lady is over 90 and holds a 200mph+ license for copeting at Bonneville:

May be an image of car, outdoors and text that says 'JIG2885 JIG 2885 MLE'

May be an image of one or more people and motorcycle

May be an image of one or more people, people standing and outdoors

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/9/22 5:20 p.m.

Man, I cannot win this year. The Pittsburgh Vintage GP is in the middle of July. This is in the middle of September. I have an unmoveable/no way I am not going thing in the beginning of August in VA. Another not not going thing Labor Day weekend.

Vintage racing is probably my 3rd favorite type of racing. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/9/22 5:22 p.m.

A '49 Ford draped over a NARCA chassis.  Not precisely vintage, but a real crowd-pleaser:

May be an image of road

May be an image of car

Rumored to be making about 800 hp (I'd believe it) and loud enough to be heard in the next town.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/9/22 5:23 p.m.
stroker said:

What kind of car is #54, above...?

A Cheetah, I believe.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/9/22 5:25 p.m.
preach (dudeist priest) said:

Man, I cannot win this year. The Pittsburgh Vintage GP is in the middle of July. This is in the middle of September. I have an unmoveable/no way I am not going thing in the beginning of August in VA. Another not not going thing Labor Day weekend.

Vintage racing is probably my 3rd favorite type of racing. 

This is a week or two after Labor Day.  First car off 9:00a and we have to be done by 3:00p.

Not sure where you're coming from, but Coatesville is about an hour's drive west of the Philly airport.

preach (dudeist priest)
5/9/22 5:27 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Looks like a Lotus badge to me, but I don't know my British cars that well.

preach (dudeist priest)
5/9/22 5:31 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

My problem is the frequency away from my job. I am probably 5-6 hours from there depending on how fast I want to drive. I just did Carlisle to NH in a tad less than 7 hours...don't tell google maps.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/9/22 5:33 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Looks like a Lotus badge to me, but I don't know my British cars that well.

Sorry, just looked up the registration - it's a Ginetta G4.

preach (dudeist priest)
5/9/22 5:37 p.m.
Duke said:
it's a Ginetta G4.

Sick.

G4

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
5/9/22 5:40 p.m.

So how does the event work? The videos I've seen seem to feature more leisurely driving............not parading but also not hanging it out.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/9/22 5:55 p.m.

It's an 'exhibition of speed'. The point is to have fun, show off your car, and give a few thousand regular small-city families an experience they otherwise would never get.

It's a 7-8/10ths track day on a street course, with a large and very appreciative audience.

These pics are from the slower part of the course. The front straight is wider, smoother, and faster, with designated passing areas.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
5/9/22 7:24 p.m.

In reply to Duke :

Cool, that's what I figured.

johnp2
johnp2 Reader
5/9/22 9:52 p.m.

Went last year and had a great time. Hope to make it again this year! 

Thanks for the reminder.

-John

ddavidv
ddavidv UltimaDork
5/10/22 7:56 a.m.

Ha, I've driven that car.

It was loaned to me for my introduction to hill climbing, what is now a long time ago. Good to see my pal Bryner is still playing with it. An old SCCA car he bought from the back of a tow truck when it was being hauled to the crusher.

stroker
stroker UberDork
5/10/22 10:14 a.m.
Duke said:
it's a Ginetta G4.

Sick.

G4

See, that's the sort of thing I could see The Hive building from that thread a couple of months ago questioning whether we have the skills/talent to build cars...

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/5/22 1:44 p.m.

Hello, all!  We're actively seeking vintage race car and race motorcycle entries for the 6th Annual Coatesville Vintage Grand Prix on 17 September, 2022.  This year we're featuring vehicles 1977 and older.

This is not wheel-to-wheel racing; it's more like an air show for vintage cars and motorcycles.  The CVGP course is set up like an urban track day, around the Streets of Coatesville road course.  Passing is permitted in specific locations, but the intent is to demonstrate these historic machines in action for an appreciative public.

If you are interested in entering your vintage race car or motorcycle, details can be found here:  http://msreg.com/CVGP2022

We also have volunteer opportunities available for corner workers and other marshal positions:  http://msreg.com/CVGP2022-volunteer

We want to make this the biggest CVGP ever!  If you have any comments or questions, please feel free to ask here or via MSR at the links provided.  Thanks!

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/10/22 1:41 p.m.

The Coatesville Vintage Grand Prix is just 5 weeks away, and we still have space for your vintage car or motorcycle!  Details and preregistration are available here.

Here's the entry list so far.

Sharp-eyed readers will note 1 or 2 cars there outside the 1977 cutoff.  One is a Renault R5 Turbo rally car that was just too cool not to admit.  The other is a Shelby Charger with a long history in Showroom Stock and Improved Touring racing - the owner's usual 1965 Barracuda race car suffered an engine failure, and he asked if he could bring the Charger instead.

We also need more volunteer marshals to help the event run smoothly.  If you're interested in helping out, please click here.

It's a hugely fun event and a great chance to see some historic cars and bikes in action.

Photo credit:  David R Back

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/15/22 5:02 p.m.

Hello, everybody!

We're less than 48 hours away from the 6th annual Coatesville Vintage Grand Prix!

Saturday, 17 September is shaping up to be a beautiful day to watch historic cars and motorcycles in action on the Streets of Coatesville PA road course.  There is no cost to spectate.  Pictures and info can be found at www.coatesvillegrandprix.com.

Parade laps start at 8:30a, with run groups from 9:00a to 3:30p.  Pre-1950 open wheelers and 1950-1977 (or so...) race cars and motorcycles of varying displacements will demonstrate their speed in this 'urban track day'.  We have some truly unique vintage vehicles coming out this year, so stop by to watch and listen.  There will be food trucks and other entertainment, including a lunchtime soapbox derby race.

If you're anywhere within a couple hours' drive of the greater Philadelphia area, I strongly urge you to come out and have some fun watching the action.  You can get right up close in the pits, and talk to drivers and riders. 

Stop by and say hello if you come to the event - I'll be near grid / start.

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/15/22 7:01 p.m.

ah man saw this too late to make plans to see this.  Definetely on the list for next year

02Pilot
02Pilot UberDork
9/15/22 8:00 p.m.

I wish I could make it down, but I've been swamped lately, and Saturday is my only day to catch up on everything that needs doing around the house. Hopefully next year. Please post pics of the event for those of us who can't make it.

Sonic
Sonic UberDork
9/15/22 9:41 p.m.

With the great weather it seems like a nice day for us to drive the NSX down and enjoy the event.  Should only be about 40 minutes. 

Duke, and insider tips for where to park, best places to spectate, things to be sure to see or not worry about missing?   

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/15/22 10:45 p.m.

In reply to Sonic :

If you're bringing the NSX, try Gateway Park for parking - cool cars only there.

That's near 1st and Lincoln Hwy, right near pit/paddock.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KpgLASd2sDgmAJLs4pVWt0cVd82m3HzQRIHYJhiuDK818FEjWewKbDdcigVuMfy8