1 2 3 4 5
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/3/20 5:15 p.m.
m4ff3w said:
Keith Tanner said:

The first gen CRX guys will only accept the CF48. It's like a religion. And yes, they're worth quite a bit to those guys.

And I have a set of Alfa wheels and the wobble bolts to make them fit a Miata ;)

I was just going to mention wobble bolts.

If only because it's really fun to say wobble bolts.

C'mon everyone, say it. Wobble bolts. Wobble bolts. Wobble bolts.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/3/20 5:16 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Okay, yeah, that is pretty fun to say. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
12/3/20 6:01 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

C'mon everyone, say it. Wobble bolts. Wobble bolts. Wobble bolts.

This belongs on a T-shirt.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/3/20 6:01 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I’m pretty sure that my first issue of Auto-X magazine had a set of those Mugen wheels on the cover. I can’t find a photo, but I know that I still have the magazine. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
12/3/20 6:04 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Another side conversation that I have had with myself: not all "banana-spoke" wheels (Panasport, Watanabe, Rota RB, Black Racing, Minilite, etc.) are created equal. Some look better than others. Sometimes it's a matter of brand, size, offset, color, etc. When done right, though, it's perfection. 

I agree. Good Minilites are really good, but bad Minilites are really bad. 

Sorry Daises...

Woody (Forum Supportum)
12/3/20 6:09 p.m.

Found it!

David S. Wallens
12/3/20 6:24 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

Ta da. A classic. 

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
12/3/20 7:42 p.m.

Regarding the title of this thread, I pretty much did that.

On the first car, I did the math to get the best sprung-to-unsprung weight ration possible, ending up with spun aluminum wheels. They were great, right up 'til potholes - and Discount Tire - bent all of them. Next car, picked off-the-shelf wheels that looked nice, and ignored the weight. They work just fine and none are bent.

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/3/20 7:53 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to bluej (Forum Supporter) :

Corsa steelies. 

oooooo. I had forgotten about those. they'd look pretty slick on my e46 touring. 

bluej (Forum Supporter)
bluej (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
12/3/20 7:55 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

weeble bolts wobble, but they don't fall off!

Woody (Forum Supportum)
12/3/20 8:43 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

Ta da. A classic. 

I had never actually heard of the magazine before that issue.

I knew a guy who was racing a really fast 1978 Civic 1200, and I bought a 1979 for myself. I saw an ad for King Motorsports somewhere and I wrote to them for more information. Scott Zellner sent me a big envelope full of stuff, and that issue was in there. Fortunately, there was one of those annoying blown-in subscription cards in the magazine, so I sent it in and I was hooked!

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/3/20 9:58 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Another side conversation that I have had with myself: not all "banana-spoke" wheels (Panasport, Watanabe, Rota RB, Black Racing, Minilite, etc.) are created equal. Some look better than others. Sometimes it's a matter of brand, size, offset, color, etc. When done right, though, it's perfection. 

Quite true. Which is why I said Panasports. Other brands don't look as good to me, including Minilites or the Rota RB.  I like the Watanabe style on some cars, but not everything.  For better or worse, I know exactly what 16" Panasports look like on a MINI (my ex's car I've known since she bought it new in 2003; pic from 2018 after a long refresh session):

Vigo (Forum Supporter)
Vigo (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
12/4/20 12:02 a.m.

I knew a guy who was racing a really fast 1978 Civic 1200, and I bought a 1979 for myself. I saw an ad for King Motorsports somewhere and I wrote to them for more information. Scott Zellner sent me a big envelope full of stuff, and that issue was in there. Fortunately, there was one of those annoying blown-in subscription cards in the magazine, so I sent it in and I was hooked!

This post gave me a pang of nostalgia. I rarely ever want to go back in time, but something in there made me think that discovering things used to feel a lot more special before the internet. 

Anyway, im all for going with heavy silly steelies for 'the look', but since noone else has said it, i'll just go ahead and say that if you sell steelies and your website advertises them as 'two piece wheels', that's.. kinda silly. Not wrong exactly, just.. silly. 

David S. Wallens
12/4/20 12:05 a.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

Those do look good. 

CJ (FS)
CJ (FS) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/4/20 12:22 a.m.

Really wish I could find a set of these for reasonable.

'73 Volvo 1800ES.  5x108mm (4.25"). 

Also like the look of Halibrand kidney slots with knockoffs, but that's never going to happen on that car - even if I could pay for them.

Edit: So I look at the They still make these wheels I hated in the 70's... thread this morning and there is the exact picture I posted...

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
12/4/20 5:58 a.m.
CJ (FS) said:

Really wish I could find a set of these for reasonable.

'73 Volvo 1800ES.  5x108mm (4.25"). 

Also like the look of Halibrand kidney slots with knockoffs, but that's never going to happen on that car - even if I could pay for them.

Vp auto parts.

David S. Wallens
12/4/20 2:46 p.m.

We haven't mentioned this one yet, but Woody at Tire Rack knows that I have a thing for the Kosei K1. I've had them back in the day but am currently K1-less. 

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
12/4/20 4:29 p.m.

I'm getting the BBS RS-GT wheels on my 996 Turbo refinished as I type.  It wasn't cheap and I struggled with it but it was cheaper than buying BBS E88 wheels and I'll end up with a wheel that nobody else has.  I'll post pics in a week when I get them back...

David S. Wallens
12/4/20 10:16 p.m.

Found myself looking at wheels again tonight. It's a sickness, I tell ya. 

mw
mw Dork
12/6/20 6:26 a.m.

In the 90's, my high school job was working at an aftermarket wheel and tire place. The owner was very eclectic and would buy leftovers stock of wheels from all over the world. It wasn't uncommon for him to buy a container of wheels from a company and my job was to make sets (re drilling and machining back spaces) it was really fun and I fell in love with certain wheels. We would get so many cool and rare wheels that I lusted after. I still have a few onsies that were so cool, but never had a match. 

ZOO (Forum Supporter)
ZOO (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/6/20 7:38 a.m.

I love the classic BMW Steelies.  I think an E46 M3 on something similar but wider would indeed be pretty slick.  Maybe they would look cool on my M2 . . .

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
12/6/20 8:15 a.m.
mw said:

In the 90's, my high school job was working at an aftermarket wheel and tire place. The owner was very eclectic and would buy leftovers stock of wheels from all over the world. It wasn't uncommon for him to buy a container of wheels from a company and my job was to make sets (re drilling and machining back spaces) it was really fun and I fell in love with certain wheels. We would get so many cool and rare wheels that I lusted after. I still have a few onsies that were so cool, but never had a match. 

You need to share pics !

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
12/6/20 8:20 a.m.

I must be in good company around here...I own a set of Kosei K1s, a set of Rota RBs and a set of Panasports (sized to fit nothing I own).

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
12/6/20 8:22 a.m.

In reply to mw :

That wouldn't happen to have been at a place on Martin St. in Milton, would it?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/6/20 10:56 a.m.
chandler said:
mw said:

You need to share pics !

Remember that in the 90's, bringing a camera to work would have been a little unusual and require extra planning. I don't know may people who carried a camera with them everywhere they went at the time, and pictures cost money so you actually thought about shooting them :)

Unless we're talking about the leftover onesies, in which case I concur!

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZqjfmqEr83s7OExgYg0q9ToM1lbmpb8EdHtu4rgf2zHWtZn5GkOfSUUUlmDVZq3v