1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/2/23 5:25 p.m.
feature_image

Coming to The Amelia this weekend? You might see some familiar faces–and project cars.

In addition to walking the show fields and even participating in some of the judging, we’ll have our 1984 Volkswagen Rabbit GTI and 1984 Porsche 911 Carrera project cars on display at the Radwood event during Saturday’s Cars & Community.

So come on out, say hello …

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/2/23 9:10 p.m.

Come on down. Spent this evening cleaning up the Porsche. Will finish tomorrow. 

David S. Wallens
3/2/23 9:11 p.m.

All-important detail pic:

David S. Wallens
3/2/23 9:12 p.m.

So, what’s the cardboard for? 

It’s the box from my cocomats. Makes the perfect low-buck creeper. :) 

84FSP
84FSP UberDork
3/3/23 8:36 a.m.

Super jealous - Amelia is a beautiful spot.  Looking forward to pics of the Calloway GTI there.

David S. Wallens
3/3/23 8:43 p.m.

Cleaned, gassed and ready. I even took a few to fix the wave in my front plate

David S. Wallens
3/3/23 8:44 p.m.

I need to check in at 7:00 a.m., and it’s a 2-hour drive.

Just about time for bed. 

pimpm3 (Forum Supporter)
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) UberDork
3/4/23 9:22 a.m.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
3/4/23 9:43 a.m.

So much Rad.  So much Wood!  

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/4/23 10:46 a.m.

For those interested, we also have a live thread over on Classic Motorsports:

Don’t miss any of the pageantry from Amelia Island | Live thread: The Amelia 2023 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/4/23 11:52 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

All-important detail pic:

Boooo....

smiley

David S. Wallens
3/4/23 8:41 p.m.

And home! What a day: up at 3:45, zero sleep last night, two hours each way, and all the talking.

We were asked to arrive for check-in at 7 a.m. Before, though, a pit stop. 

David S. Wallens
3/4/23 8:42 p.m.

Doors didn’t open until 9, so we used that time to clean the car from the trip up and get the bike up on the roof. 

David S. Wallens
3/4/23 8:42 p.m.

Soon after, it rained–so the bike went back in the car. 

Thank you, Radwood, for the prime spot–right at the entrance. 

David S. Wallens
3/4/23 8:44 p.m.

After an hour or so rain delay, we were back in business. Thank you, everyone, for conversation and kind words about the car. 

David S. Wallens
3/4/23 8:49 p.m.

Also, notice my Autohaus plate frame? More about that coming up. But first, bed. :)

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
3/4/23 9:13 p.m.
pimpm3 (Forum Supporter) said:

So much awesomeness. I had a black 1991 SE-R that I purchased new.......so sorry that I sold it. 

David S. Wallens
3/5/23 6:06 a.m.

In reply to Feedyurhed :

Original SE-R owner here, too. I had a Slate Gray '92. No options other than a/c.

buzzboy
buzzboy SuperDork
3/5/23 8:10 a.m.

I see my friend's C123 AMG in the background. Looks like it was a rad event for sure 

David S. Wallens
3/6/23 12:27 p.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

It was pretty rad. Oddly, though, can’t recall seeing any Miatas on the field. I might have to change that....

David S. Wallens
3/6/23 1:32 p.m.

And the story behind the Porsche’s license plate frame: How driving 2 hours can take you back to 1984.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
3/6/23 8:34 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In reply to Feedyurhed :

Original SE-R owner here, too. I had a Slate Gray '92. No options other than a/c.

Nissan got those early model SE-R's so right. One of the few cars that seemed to be nearly perfect right out of the box. I ended up buying it's successor, the 200 SX SE-R. The magic was gone. 

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
3/6/23 8:43 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

And the story behind the Porsche’s license plate frame: How driving 2 hours can take you back to 1984.

Great story on the license plate. Super cool and what are the chances of the previous owner of the business showing up? Just wow.

David S. Wallens
3/6/23 11:08 p.m.

In reply to Feedyurhed :

Exactly, what are the odds? I remember them having Alfa and Porsche at the dealership but couldn’t remember if they were new or used. She confirmed they were new. Plus they sold Volkswagen, she said. 

Her son was with her, and he’s my age–well, a year younger–but lived just far enough away to land in a different school district. He knew the bike shop I worked at and said he shopped there. So, yeah, small world. 

The New York plates came from personal stash in the garage–so on the shelf right next to the Porsche. Maybe those plates belonged to my parents? My dad can’t remember. I only dug them out a year or so ago. 

When I decided to pair the plate with an appropriate frame, I went back to the same pile–and found the Autohaus frame there. I’m guessing I grabbed it while riding the very bike perched on the Porsche. 

You know, come to think about it, I might have run an Autohaus plate, too, on the front of the Accord that I drove in college....

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/7/23 5:17 a.m.

That is a really neat story David. Indeed a small world!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
l1PkWwEsZC3Gm9Uykz1OrK3E2UN2cqmTBEdxtdf70dSBQUYAhZHnPWYpAZogOTDH