1 2
iansane
iansane GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/2/22 10:44 a.m.

Wow. That's pretty close to exactly what I want to do.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
6/2/22 11:19 a.m.

Man, that gig sounds good enough that I am fantasizing about retiring into a gig like that part time. In about 20-25 years

Trent
Trent PowerDork
6/2/22 11:28 a.m.

Just sayin......

Trent
Trent PowerDork
6/2/22 11:38 a.m.
adam525i said:

Is the Taqueria next door any good?

Finally! The important question.  The taco cart in the parking lot is pretty good. The best part is they make the tortillas fresh when you order. The corn tortilla is mere minutes old by the time you bite into it. 

Nice ladies. Super friendly.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
6/3/22 12:21 p.m.
Trent said:

In reply to OHSCrifle :

That isn't real. It is a construct for entertainment purposes. No shop can pay that much overtime, especially at the end of a project when money is tightest.  My shop is quiet (except for the noise of metal shaping). There is zero drama. It is a place for craftsmen to do their best quality work in a relaxed, professional atmosphere. 

We work monday through friday. Some of my guys start early (like 5 AM) due to child care complications. Some start closer to 10 and stay later. I don't care when they work, as long as they are able to bill out their 40 hours a week. 

No one needs their classic E type ready by the morning to take their kids to school. That isn't a thing. We don't do auction cars so we don't have to rush to slam them together the night before. 

We only work on customers cars. Cars can be in the shop for up to two years depending on what they want/need.

I will admit that just before Monterey car week I can have a few long nights. That is only when an owner is really excited and can't wait to show off their stuff and we are close enough we think we can do it. I do not expect my guys to do the same.

Visitors can get kinda freaked out by how quiet this shop is. No radios blaring, We bought the quietest scroll compressor we could get. Most of the techs wear headphones. They are conscientious enough to tell everyone if they are about to use an air hammer if they would like to don hearing protection. 

It is a very good place to work

Oddly enough it is flat rate techs who have the most difficult time transitioning. They are so used to the fast paced turn and burn that the thought of having a single car in their bay for months at a time just doesn't sit well. 

Dude I'm packing my bags now. My days of flat rate teching are 10+ years behind me. Right now - I'm tired of being in command of 100+ 18-25 year olds that don't know how to properly utilize toilet paper. The issues only compound when we actually start to discuss work output. I need that kind of job in my life. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
6/3/22 12:24 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
DirtyBird222 said:

10) Alabama has Talledega and a bunch of SEC and National Championships. Oregon has 0 like their logo implies. 

That was a very well executed shot at Oregon. Nicely done.

After living in Washington state for a short period of time, I quickly found out how to make Oregon the buff of a lot of jokes. You can throw shade at the PAC-12 all day and it never gets old. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
g3jqBMU0XrSowyH5RgTzhuYQgsj2XXkWoV67eRsFPuf634b1VYZ7iQnR8uSOwahg